PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2009, 09:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

apinkel is keeping up the good workapinkel is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Sprint Navigation 2.1.10 vs Telenav 5.1.16 vs Garmin Mobile XT 5.00.20wp on the T

Thanks for this... really good list of real-world usage issues.

I'd love to see a tomtom vs. igo/on course navigator vs garmin compario like this.

One other thing to add to the list is the storage card... and the fact that to legally use Garmin means you are restricted to their card. There are ways around this but it's not legal.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Threadstarter

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff
Re: Sprint Navigation 2.1.10 vs Telenav 5.1.16 vs Garmin Mobile XT 5.00.20wp on the T

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicardoG View Post
Garmin XT uses the NAVTEQ database which seems to be more up to date than the Telenav database used in the other 2 options.
Thanks, I was planning to add this today and will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apinkel View Post
Thanks for this... really good list of real-world usage issues.

I'd love to see a tomtom vs. igo/on course navigator vs garmin compario like this.

One other thing to add to the list is the storage card... and the fact that to legally use Garmin means you are restricted to their card. There are ways around this but it's not legal.
I may give IGuidance a try, but after that I think I'm going to be done trying various navigation apps myself. If someone knows about Tomtom and Igo enough to answer for all points, I could add it to the list. I know there are even other navigation apps in addition to all those. That's the great thing about these WM devices, so many options .

I'll add an item about the storage card. I know IGuidance sells theirs with various sized storage cards, to try and overcome that issue. (Nobody who knows ways around the stroage card issue via hacks should mention it here, because the mods might ban you if you do.)
Old 04-19-2009, 03:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

darnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuffdarnell knows their stuff
Telenav claims they use NAVTEQ for maps and nobody else.

For Telenav and Sprint Navigation, I've had to put NAVTEQ as the map provider. I had to because I just got off the phone with Telenav tech support. The guy I spoke with put me on hold while he checked and he came back on the line to tell me that Telenav uses only NAVTEQ for maps.

I didn't tell him the name of any map provider when I called. I simply asked him what maps they use with their navigation software and he told me himself NAVTEQ and nobody else. (Sort of like he knew I might be wondering if they used some company other than NAVTEQ.) He did take the time to put me on hold and check to be sure, so I take his statement as the official Telenav company line.

Assuming Telenav does use NAVTEQ, that would mean the differences in routing when using Garmin with its latest maps (which we all know uses NAVTEQ for sure) versus Telenav would strictly be because of different routing algorithms being used in the software.

Just personal opinion, but I think Garmin makes better use of side street short cuts.

Last edited by darnell; 04-19-2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:03 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid

Tmair is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I've used garmen on my Treo Centro, and on my HTC Touch, I never ran into a lag, it is spot on when I pass an intersection.
Also I don't know about the STP but on my Centro I could use the built in querty key board, so I would think you can use it with the STP but could be wrong, I know in the settings it asks if you have a built in keyboard.
Terry
Old 04-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
Also I don't know about the STP but on my Centro I could use the built in querty key board, so I would think you can use it with the STP but could be wrong, I know in the settings it asks if you have a built in keyboard.
Terry
All the navigation programs listed use the Touch Pro's hard qwerty keyboard with no problem. The listing has an item for "Soft Qwerty", because Garmin does not make use of whatever soft qwerty someone may have setup. This is a nit I have with Garmin Mobile XT, because I would like to use my soft qwerty keyboard instead of Garmin's alphabet sorted soft keyboard when in portrait mode with the hard keyboard closed. I don't often use my slider, I'm more of a soft keyboard user who only uses the hard keyboard on rare occasions. I do sometimes keep the slider open with in the car though and use things in landscape mode with the hard qwerty on those occasions, but more often the slider is closed with things in portrait mode.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:34 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmair View Post
I've used garmen on my Treo Centro, and on my HTC Touch, I never ran into a lag, it is spot on when I pass an intersection.
I wonder if the Touch Pro's larger screen contributes to seeing additional lag?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Intrepid

Tmair is just getting started
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnell View Post
All the navigation programs listed use the Touch Pro's hard qwerty keyboard with no problem. The listing has an item for "Soft Qwerty", because Garmin does not make use of whatever soft qwerty someone may have setup. This is a nit I have with Garmin Mobile XT, because I would like to use my soft qwerty keyboard instead of Garmin's alphabet sorted soft keyboard when in portrait mode with the hard keyboard closed. I don't often use my slider, I'm more of a soft keyboard user who only uses the hard keyboard on rare occasions. I do sometimes keep the slider open with in the car though and use things in landscape mode with the hard qwerty on those occasions, but more often the slider is closed with things in portrait mode.
Sorry about that I missed the "Soft" querty, I know what you mean, I do not like the keyboard that comes with Garmin.
Terry

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro