PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 06:22 PM
Lurker

mazbadie is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Using HTC as a modem or Wifi Spot

Hi There!

I'm new to the site and am very interested in using my HTC Pro to its fullest capacity. The guy at the Sprint told me that there is software which will allow me to use my phone as a Wifi connection. Can I do this and where can I get the software?

Thanks!!!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

lgmayka is keeping up the good worklgmayka is keeping up the good work
Re: Using HTC as a modem or Wifi Spot

Your touch Pro can act as an Internet intermediary by any of several means:

1) USB cable and Internet Sharing

2) Bluetooth and Internet Sharing

3) WiFi and WMWiFiRouter

The commercial version of WMWiFiRouter costs money, but a beta version was freeware, and is still available from this reputable web site. Of course, the commercial version reportedly has many additional features, etc.

Options (1) and (2) require some registry modifications in order to circumvent Sprint's desire to charge extra.

I myself usually use (2), if only because it combines the simplicity of wireless with the lower battery drain of Bluetooth.

There is an option (4), PDANet, but it costs money.

If you ordinarily keep Bluetooth and WiFi off to save battery, remember to turn one of them on before using an option that requires it.

Last edited by lgmayka; 04-16-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

DUDE search please =]
i know its easier to just post but if everyone did that the forum would be so cluttered it would be unusable.
There are tons of posts about this already, so many its hard not to find it
Old 04-16-2009, 08:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker

slvrap1 is becoming a great contributor

He was most likely tring to sell him a cradlepoint, it allows sprint phones and aircards to be used as a wifi hotspot. Most reps dont try to sell 3rd party applications they cant make money on.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mazbadie is a n00b

No, the Sprint guy has a Pro and was telling all the things that he downloaded for it, and he recommended this sight and also smartphonejunkie. He wasn't trying to sell me anything and was actually very helpful. I tried searching this site for anything close to my topic but couldn't find anything, so maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Believe me, I wouldn't ask if I found what I needed.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Mobileunderground.info

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazbadie View Post
No, the Sprint guy has a Pro and was telling all the things that he downloaded for it, and he recommended this sight and also smartphonejunkie. He wasn't trying to sell me anything and was actually very helpful. I tried searching this site for anything close to my topic but couldn't find anything, so maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Believe me, I wouldn't ask if I found what I needed.

Thanks
the program is called WMWifiRouter it is very good but it costs 30 PM me if you have a question
also you can tether your phone with internet share but it doesnt make a wifi connection
Old 04-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mazbadie is a n00b

I actually don't need a wifi connection, juts want to use my phone as a "modem" for my laptop only. Any better programs for that or will WMWifiRouter still work best?
Old 04-19-2009, 10:40 PM
Mobileunderground.info

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazbadie View Post
I actually don't need a wifi connection, juts want to use my phone as a "modem" for my laptop only. Any better programs for that or will WMWifiRouter still work best?
i would use ICS internet connection sharing.
first off you should definately flash a custom rom
they already include this software! along with the reg edits and settings
Old 04-19-2009, 10:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

temperbad is keeping up the good worktemperbad is keeping up the good worktemperbad is keeping up the good work

theres also reg edit hacks that you can do to allow tethering, no need for a program or 3rd party app. just chang your registry and bamn, tethering away, but that sounds a little beyond you right now. I know searching this forum sometimes is hard, and you do get scolded if you dont search correctly at first, but their right, this forum has plenty of solutions, just read.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

mazbadie is a n00b

Yep, I totally understand. I'm just not good with these things but really need to do this. Most of what you guys said went over my head but I really appreciate it and will figure it out. Thanks so much!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro