PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero, Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

boredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fast charge mod and Car chargers burning up?

Ok, so from what i understand the fast charge mod forces the device to charge at 900ma no matter whether it's hooked to a usb port on your computer or car charger. I've been having serious problems with car chargers only lasting a month or so. Could this be the problem? I'm an electrician and i know for sure you can't hook a 300 kva load to a 150 kva transformer without burning up the coils.. I would think the same would hold true with a 900mva load going to a car charger that was designed for 500mva. Anyone else had their car charger burn out on them? i've had 3 break on me.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II / HTC T7380, HTC EVO

gator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to gator2k83 Send a message via MSN to gator2k83 Send a message via Yahoo to gator2k83
Re: Fast charge mod and Car chargers burning up?

here is a solution... Go get a mobile power inverter. Most have a usb port on them. I got a $40 one @ wmt that's 200w 400w peak. It also has a usb charger port.

I used the fast charge on the mogul and on the tp... After 4 trips 2 and from bowling green KY, about a 10-11hr drive with the phone hooked up to it and powered on streaming internet radio and mp3's when low signal, Also had gps running the full time with gamin mobile xt.

The phone stayed charging and when leaving the car I had 100% battery left.

The one that I got will charge via usb even if the inverter side is turned off.

So it might be that the small car chargers just cant keep up with all the charging and current drain of your phone.

I will post the one that I got later as i have to run to work. But it is nice and has (2) 3 prong household outlets.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:37 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero, Touch Pro
Threadstarter

boredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regularboredmug is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Cool. I was thinking of the same thing. Didn't know i could get one with a USB port as well. I'll have to find one of those. It's kinda funny.. I couldn't figure out why i was burning up car chargers until last night i was reading on here about fast charge and how it forces 900ma.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro II / HTC T7380, HTC EVO

gator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuffgator2k83 knows their stuff
Send a message via AIM to gator2k83 Send a message via MSN to gator2k83 Send a message via Yahoo to gator2k83

I could not find it on wmts website so I searched the web for it. I know Wal-Mart sells it it is in a blister pack with a green cardboard background.

I found it cheaper on the web.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Power...ient=firefox-a

Here is a review. Kinda funny one.

http://www.expotv.com/videos/reviews...neInver/159204

Last edited by gator2k83; 04-16-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: IPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

bfaber is just getting started

Didn't fast charge only come out a handful of weeks ago? If you've been burning them up for months, the math doesn't add up.

'Would be good to know before I burn up mine.. hmmm
Old 04-16-2009, 06:59 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I've got a car charger for a razr via ebay, it was $1.66 shipped to my door (three cheers for the hong kong special!) It says it is only supposed to put out 500 mah for the razr, but even from day one my TP has sucked down 900+ mah from it, no fastcharge driver.

Lately, I've noticed it's only pulling 650 or so, which is a bit more reasonable for the hardware. It's been 3-4 months and no failure yet. I'm using the fastcharge driver now and only seeing the 600. If the thing does die, at $1.66, I won't be hurting if I have to replace it.

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfaber View Post
Didn't fast charge only come out a handful of weeks ago? If you've been burning them up for months, the math doesn't add up.

'Would be good to know before I burn up mine.. hmmm
The fastcharge driver has been out basically since the TP has, it was just a separate file, it didn't have the nice installer or the toggle ability, or the 1% support that the current one has.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: IPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

bfaber is just getting started

Quote:
The fastcharge driver has been out basically since the TP has, it was just a separate file, it didn't have the nice installer or the toggle ability, or the 1% support that the current one has.
Ahhhh, got it. That explains my confusion.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:39 PM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

well, you could rewire one of the broken ones and put this in it http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062599

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro