PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

A5Ben is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Why use a custom ROM?

I've been using Mighty Rom for a little while now and wondered what makes other decide to use a custom rom over the stock rom (Sprint in my case). Can someone share their reasons for one way or the other?

Thanks!
Ben
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro, Moment, Epic 4G

dmauin717 is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to dmauin717 Send a message via MSN to dmauin717 Send a message via Yahoo to dmauin717
Re: Why use a custom ROM?

i use custom roms just to try new things like winmo 6.5 for example
Old 04-15-2009, 10:20 PM
VIP Status!!
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

Lilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIPLilhgarcia is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to Lilhgarcia

Lots of reason

Number 1 reason is custom roms are always better then the Stock ROM

Faster

Smoother

More Attractive

ect.

I say you should defiantly flash a custom ROM (Copper)

M300 - Rumor2 - Treo 750 - Treo 755p - Centro - Blackberry Pearl - Mogul - Touch - iPhone - Diamond - Touch Pro
Don't Forget To Click
Old 04-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

A5Ben is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmauin717 View Post
i use custom roms just to try new things like winmo 6.5 for example
That's a good reason ans one of the reasons I wanted to try a new rom. It's fin to tinker with our gadgets anyway. I really wondered what technical reasons as I am sure other 'newbies' may be.

Ben
Old 04-15-2009, 10:29 PM
SuperNoob
Pocket PC: iPhone 5s
Carrier: TMobile

rstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation levelrstoyguy can't get a higher reputation level

So you can help keep people like me out of the bar!!!

Usually better performance, custom apps, and gives you more of a choice. Think if you woke everyday and wore the same outfit...

Old 04-15-2009, 11:37 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilhgarcia1123 View Post
Lots of reason

Number 1 reason is custom roms are always better then the Stock ROM

Faster

Smoother

More Attractive

ect.

I say you should defiantly flash a custom ROM (Copper)
Copper is a pretty poor ROM to recommend to someone who doesn't even understand why you would want to flash. Copper is so stripped down, he would have to go out and find .cabs for features he is probably unaware of in the first place, making the search pretty difficult. It would be better to suggest a crowd favorite, such as Juicy's ROM, or MightyMike's ROM...

Hell, even something older, like DREAM's ROM
Old 04-16-2009, 12:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D

msvakos4589 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5Ben View Post
I've been using Mighty Rom for a little while now and wondered what makes other decide to use a custom rom over the stock rom (Sprint in my case). Can someone share their reasons for one way or the other?

Thanks!
Ben
I was on the Sprint stock ROM since October 2008 when I got the phone. I kept reading about all these customs ROM's and why they are so good. I just recently flashed to Might ROM about 5 days ago and I'm glad I made the change.

I was initially hesitant b/c I didn't want to screw up my phone b/c I have several apps i use for business. After reading a ton about it, I made the move to Mighty ROM.

The main thing I've noticed is the SPEED is much better and my BATTERY LIFE has increased. There are also some different apps he includes with the ROM and also removes the Sprint stuff. Those were probably my two biggest grips with the stock ROM, sluggish and poor battery life. I had to soft reset my phone a couple times a day on the stock ROM b/c it would always freeze up on me.

The other big reason I made the switch is so Arcsoft would work on my phone. I could never get picturemail working with the stock ROM and with Mighty ROM it works great!

I don't think I'll try other ROM at this point b/c I'm happy with Mighty ROM, but when he releases and updated version, I'll definatley flash to the updated version of Mighty ROM.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:49 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: VZW Touch Pro
Carrier: VZW

lblacklol is a n00b

I'm on Verizon with one of the memory gimped Verizon Touch Pros, and I just flashed to SSK this past weekend. The reason I flashed was because of sluggish performance and the fact that the stock rom was a memory hog on the already memory handicapped VZW TP.

Prior to flashing I'd given up on using Touch Flo 3D because it was just too much for it. Now I have plenty of memory and the phone still looks great. The only thing I still disable is the HTC dialer to free up those 10 megs or so of ram, but with this rom the windows stock dialer is skinned black so it looks pretty cool regardless.

I personally think, now that I've flashed, that VZW users need to flash a stock rom to unlock the full potential of this phone. I highly recommend SSK, they're tweaked for VZW and run great in my experience so far.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VX6850
Carrier: Verizon

tbone2000 is just getting started

I had been interested in the custom ROMs for a while but feared bricking my phone. I then had a lot of problems with my phone not hanging up a call. I would finish the call and click the red phone button and then people would say that they would listen to me for a while after that. As I was pressing a "hard" key perhaps the ROMs would have no impact on the problem anyway. Still, I decided to make the attempt. It was funny, I read and read and read so carefully figured the task of burning a new ROM would be very difficult but in the end it took minutes and was a piece of cake.

I have the Verizon Touch Pro and what I tried so far was JD's but it was clearly written around Sprint. It seemed fine but as I kept seeing Sprint pop up I was a bit uncomfortable and moved to eRice. It was ok but I had a lot of problems with it booting up. It would boot up only about 20% of the time and lock the other times. I could live with that but I also got left with a very small amount of free memory that caused everything to be too slow. The TF3D interface seemed relatively quick but other actions were slow. It all may have been my fault as I added some apps in the kitchen that I likely didn't need. I'm still not clear if that would kill memory. None the less, I decided to try Copper and love it. Yes, very stripped down but so far I have everything I need. I could get VZ Navigator back so in the end I decided to try some other GPS programs. Not sure yet what I think about them. I am left with 40% of my memory free at boot up which is the most I have ever seen. That was with the default page pool settings which I can't recall what they were. That is the only thing I haven't tried which might speed things up further. To be honest, I don't know what a page pool is. I will say that with Copper there is no MMS, only SMS. I guess I need to download a different program for MMS? Haven't figured that out either.

Whichever way you go, good luck.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Lurker

pacosuave is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone2000 View Post
I will say that with Copper there is no MMS, only SMS. I guess I need to download a different program for MMS? Haven't figured that out either.
I have been trying all morning to send this short little audio clip to my friend as a mms message like I used to on my old Clamshell Samsung A920. I'm using my Touch Pro on Sprint with the 4.16 Mighty Rom. I read HERE that mms is no longer supported by sprint for Windows Mobile devices. There used to be a 3rd party app that you could use but in 2008 sprint started blocking it.

Is this still the case today?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro