PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 06:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: MP6900AL - Vogue
Carrier: Alltel

talk2nate is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to talk2nate
Alltel TP vs. Verizon TP stay or go?

Hello all.. I've searched and found a bunch of threads with information. But none of them really steer me in. I currently have the choice to stay at Alltel and get a Touch Pro OR I can goto Verizon and get one now. (I'm part of the merger stuff)

I know people are saying the Verizon TP has a different chipset but I'm not sure how that effects my running cooked roms like wm6.5 and such.

Is there any "major" difference between the two phones I need to consider? I really need help deciding which path to go. Thanks!
Old 04-10-2009, 07:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

cordevil95 is keeping up the good workcordevil95 is keeping up the good work
Re: Alltel TP vs. Verizon TP stay or go?

I would stick with Alltel. More RAM, better keyboard, better looking phone, cheaper rates. I'm not really sure why you are even considering going to Verizon to get the "same" phone and pay more money for basically the same plan.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:37 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

The major difference is the alltel has a lot more RAM.

The keyboards are different but one is not necessarily better than the other. I have a Sprint TP, but I actually prefer the KB on the Verizon version (IMHO the keys are too small & too stiff on the Sprint KB)

~John
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

gimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to gimme5

Alltel, without a doubt.

See, I'm running juicy 6, it uses about 50-60 percent of the memory. It runs fantastic on my Sprint Touch Pro. If you try to run that rom an an Alltel pro, everything should be great. If you try with a VZ touch Pro, you'll get 99% RAM usage, out of memory errors and so on.

It's not even a close call. Alltel.

MobileSpeedtest.com (yes, that's my site)
Old 04-11-2009, 12:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme5 View Post
Alltel, without a doubt.

See, I'm running juicy 6, it uses about 50-60 percent of the memory. It runs fantastic on my Sprint Touch Pro. If you try to run that rom an an Alltel pro, everything should be great. If you try with a VZ touch Pro, you'll get 99% RAM usage, out of memory errors and so on.

It's not even a close call. Alltel.
Thank you for all the replies. I have been using Juicy 6 on my TP for a while. Reason I would change from Alltel to Verizon is because I'm an employee and I get a 50% discount on all plans through Verizon. I get almost the same discount at Alltel - but we're a little lacking in the phones atm.

So now that I know the Alltel TP is better... How does the Samsung Omnia stack up to the TP?
Old 04-11-2009, 02:55 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2 and every single phone verizon had...

Noir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIPNoir is a VIP

depends on you
if you prefer having a keyboard, more ram, cooking roms stick with the touch pro
Old 04-11-2009, 03:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Keir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuffKeir333 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to Keir333 Send a message via Yahoo to Keir333 Send a message via Skype™ to Keir333

Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2nate View Post
So now that I know the Alltel TP is better... How does the Samsung Omnia stack up to the TP?
Omnia has a bigger screen(3.2 inches-Omnia vs. 2.8 inches-Touch Pro), but not as good of resolution(WQVGA-Omnia vs. VGA-Touch Pro)

It has a better camera(5.0 Megapixel-Omnia vs. 3.2 Megapixel-Touch Pro)

Not to mention the obvious lack of a keyboard...something I know I couldn't live without.

-Keir-
Old 04-11-2009, 03:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

sorge is becoming a great contributor

Well how is altell's 3G network in your area vs Verizon, I know where I live when you call altell you get a clicky sound, while any other network you do not.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:10 PM
.:DoWorkSon:.
Pocket PC: .:OD:.Incredible:.DroidX:.iPhone4:.ThunderBolt:.

GrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to GrandMasterB

So if you are part of the merger you cant get another Alltel phone you?? If you change your phone it has to be an Verizon phone doesnt it??? Unless your in a divested market , in that case you wont be Alltel much longer anyways.

But if you do have a choice and you dont mind Alltel ( their service sucked for me ) then get the Allel TP just for the extra RAM , HANDS DOWN.

The Omnia on the other hand is a very good phone also, had it for about 30 days and loved it. The only reason I went back to the Touch Pro is for the ROMs period. The keyboard on the TP is nice but I usually just end up using the compact T9 keypad on screen anyways , so I would not pick the TP over the Omnia just for the the physical keyboard.

In my comparisons the Touch Pro beats out the Omnia ,but just barely. They very different beasts and it's all a matter of opinion. I can tell you that as soon as one of my other 4 lines is eligable for upgrade I will be aquiring the Omnia again
Old 04-11-2009, 05:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Ok I'll be going with the Alltel Pro.. I'm acctually an employee in a non-divested market. Service here and as far as they've told me period is running on all our local Verizon towers. According to our network guy here your service only goes back to Alltel towers if your in the woods and such.. Which is why most people have Alltel here lol.

Thanks all for helping me ensure the TP was the best choice for me. I'd rather have choice in roms than just a few features like camera or screen size.

Now just have to find a way to make the FM radio work in the TP and it will be handsdown better than the Omnia lol. (wishful thinking)

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro