PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2009, 02:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6700/Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

0Gravity is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Touch Pro Wifi

Hi All,
I am just wondering if there is a way to tell, if my TP is actually using the Wifi connection? The reason I ask is that when I turn on and connect to my home wifi network, I see no diference in the speed at which web pages load!
Do I have to set it up somewhere to use the wifi instead of Spints network?
BTW, b4 anyone asks, when I connect to my home wifi network, the Wireless Lan settings window does show me connected at 54g and the "Ev" at top of screen changes into the Wifi indicator. But the speed just doesnt seem right!

Also, if you go into the Comm Manager and shut off the DATA connection, shouldn't it kill all data transfer from the Sprint network? Because when I do it still shows me the "Ev" Icon at the top of the screen and when I open Opera it still downloads webpages...even though I am not connected to wifi!
IF this is normal, then what does shutting off the "Data Connection" in the Comm Manager actually Do?

Thanks in advance,
0Gravity
Old 04-07-2009, 02:24 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: TP2 & EVO

BenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuffBenC knows their stuff
Re: Touch Pro Wifi

From the today screen at the top of the pay you will see a cute little antenna when WiFi is enabled.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:34 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Blackberry Curve 8330m

emaster101 knows their stuffemaster101 knows their stuffemaster101 knows their stuffemaster101 knows their stuffemaster101 knows their stuffemaster101 knows their stuff

If you disable Data connections in the settings tab but leave Wifi on that will make sure you are using nothing but your WiFi. also if you want you may try this Wifi speed cab. just install and soft reset you phone. It will speed your WiFi up alot (g band).

download here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=49652
Old 04-07-2009, 12:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaster101 View Post
If you disable Data connections in the settings tab but leave Wifi on that will make sure you are using nothing but your WiFi. also if you want you may try this Wifi speed cab. just install and soft reset you phone. It will speed your WiFi up alot (g band).
This is what has me confused..... What you said, is not true, because like I said, when I shut off the Data Connections, I still get internet, so how do I know it's not using the Sprint connection, instead of the Wifi, and I have already installed that cab, and It does say in my Wireless Lan connection settings, that I am connected at 54 Mbps to my Home network, I am just not convinced that it is using the Wifi, because it seems Alot Slower then it should be...Like a cannot tell the diference between My wifi connection and the Sprint connection...could this speed be a limitation in the hardware?

Thanks again,
0Gravity
Old 04-07-2009, 12:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4g

bjhill2112 is keeping up the good workbjhill2112 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gravity View Post
This is what has me confused..... What you said, is not true, because like I said, when I shut off the Data Connections, I still get internet, so how do I know it's not using the Sprint connection, instead of the Wifi, and I have already installed that cab, and It does say in my Wireless Lan connection settings, that I am connected at 54 Mbps to my Home network, I am just not convinced that it is using the Wifi, because it seems Alot Slower then it should be...Like a cannot tell the diference between My wifi connection and the Sprint connection...could this speed be a limitation in the hardware?

Thanks again,
0Gravity
Go to What Is My IP Address both before and after you connect to Wifi - if it is different then you know you are using a different connect (it will probably be the same from your phone as from your computer when using Wifi).
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Excellant Idea bjhill....Why didnt I think of that...I will give it a try!
Thanks,
0Grav
Old 04-08-2009, 12:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Rhodium W (Sprint Touch Pro 2 CDMA)
Carrier: Sprint - SERO

mstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmstevens is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

If you have your phone (not just the data connection), Bluetooth, and WiFi turned off in the Communication Manager, you can easily confirm that will have no data connection at all.

Turn only WiFi on. Any data connection you have will represent the WiFi connection and only the WiFi connection.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:02 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I think I now know why it does not seem any faster using my Wifi connection! I guess I underestimated Sprints EvDo Speeds....As the speedtests below show....My Home DSL connection is only a little bit faster then Sprints Service!

This is Sprints

And This is my DSL

Although the Latency on sprint network is quite a bit higher, the speeds are not that much diferent at all!

Thanks Again for All your suggestions,
0Gravity
Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

You gotta also take into account that Opera and the like render pages much slower than PCs. Even if it can download all the data/pictures super fast, Opera takes a long *** time just to render the page, even from cache.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
You gotta also take into account that Opera and the like render pages much slower than PCs. Even if it can download all the data/pictures super fast, Opera takes a long *** time just to render the page, even from cache.
Yea this is the conclusion, that I came to, because my home system definately loads pages faster....are there any other mobile browsers that work better, but give the same type of experiance that Opera does?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro