PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Can a TP be used as a police scanner, etc.? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=64145)

GRB 04-08-2009 10:34 AM

Can a TP be used as a police scanner, etc.?

Just spent the weekend at the Nascar races and wondered if our phones were capable of scanning.
I'm pretty sure the answer is no, but I'm not techno-savvy enough to say for sure.
Is the hardware in the phone?

Hell for that matter, what about a CB radio? "Breaker, Breaker, Anybody got their ears on?" :mrgreen:

Darkjedi 04-08-2009 10:37 AM

Re: Can a TP be used as a police scanner, etc.?

//double post

Darkjedi 04-08-2009 10:37 AM

Unfortunately not, I don't there are any antennas or chipsets in our phone capable of picking up and amplifying any CB radio signals. We can't even get the FM radio to work and the GSM version actually has a working antennae.

karate134 04-08-2009 10:39 AM

I was also hoping to use my TP as a refrigator.

Sry couldnt resist.

Admittedly our TPs do alot, but I'm gonna make a guess that unless the police scanners are on the FM radio spectrum, i doubt if our TPs can do it. And even if it was on the FM, we can't access the FM chip in it.

GRB 04-08-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkjedi007 (Post 833017)
Unfortunately not, I don't there are any antennas or chipsets in our phone capable of picking up and amplifying any CB radio signals. We can't even get the FM radio to work and the GSM version actually has a working antennae.

I knew about the FM radio issues, but really had no idea if it was related to scanner frequencies.
Oh well, a scanner could've been another cool app. for this pocket toy that happens to have a phone on it.

GRB 04-08-2009 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karate134 (Post 833023)
I was also hoping to use my TP as a refrigator.

Sry couldnt resist.

Hey, appliances aren't too far fetched, afterall these things will work as a heater in the right conditions. :)

karate134 04-08-2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GRB (Post 833031)
I knew about the FM radio issues, but really had no idea if it was related to scanner frequencies.
Oh well, a scanner could've been another cool app. for this pocket toy that happens to have a phone on it.

Just think, not too many years ago we thought that having texting on phones was the neatest thing known to mankind.

Tinkturtle 04-08-2009 10:52 AM

Just use your camera to take a picture of the page....oh....sorry wrong type of scanner.

workindev 04-08-2009 11:10 AM

Actually, they might be able to. Sprint rents out their scanner units at races, and those are basically little 3G phones with a TV that run off a beefed up EVDO network set up at the track. At the sprint booth they said you can download a program to some sprint phones that will access that programming.

Don't know if it is specifically available for the TP though.

BTW, I went to the race this weekend as well. I've never really watched NASCAR before, but that was one of the cooler things I've been to lately. Can't go wrong with some really loud things going round 'n round really fast.

YouMayLose 04-08-2009 11:20 AM

lol I was at the race this past weekend also.. you guys in Texas? I didnt go to the actual races but had friends in RV's and the parties were well great..saw a bunch of boobies too lmao