PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 08:32 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

izanagi is keeping up the good workizanagi is keeping up the good workizanagi is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Got my second TP! Any differences between builds?

I filed for a replacement of my old Titan (even tho I've already bought and moved on to a TouchPro when it launched with Sprint), and they gave sent me a new TouchPro. w00t! 2 touch pros on one desk.. Secksee! I'm kind of torn now though, because I miss a lot of the functionality of the Titan, even though I know I'll never go back to activate the thing. Anyway, I'm thinking I can ebay the TouchPro I dont use (after I do some side-by-side ROM comparisons :P ).

Before filing for the replacement I had heard that the screen appeared yellow'ish on the new refurbed TPs. I've got to say, I've put them side by side and dont see aaaaany difference. If anything, it appears the backlight of my old phone is a bit dimmer. This may be because they sent me a new, in-box TP and not the standard replacement.

I guess I write this post partly to boast and share my excitement at having two TouchPro's next to each other (yes I know one is completely useless as a phone, but I can do some side-by-side comparisons), and partly to ask if anyone knows any hardware differences between the manufactured dates.

My first TouchPro, we shall call TP1, is a first generation build. The new one, TP2, is obviously new, So far they look absolutely identical. Anything I should look for, or any reason not to go with the new (unscratched (yay!)) TP2?

I guess in summary: does anyone know the different hardware iterations HTC has been through with the TP?

Buck nasty.

Last edited by izanagi; 03-13-2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Re: Got my second TP! Any differences between builds?

welcome to the tp party!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:44 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

izanagi is keeping up the good workizanagi is keeping up the good workizanagi is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr8820 View Post
welcome to the tp party!
Haha, sorry mate, I guess you didn't read the first line of my post, or the title for that matter. It's my second TouchPro; I've been rockin the htc-hotness since it came out. I'll forgive you since it's early in the morning
Old 03-13-2009, 08:50 AM
Account Disabled

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level

no worries! i'll forgive you since you didn't search before posting. this has been posted but it's early!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:01 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Moved to the general Touch Pro Forum.

late,
Coz
Old 03-13-2009, 01:20 PM
Account Disabled

no disrespect to anyone but this has been covered http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...pro+build+date
Old 03-13-2009, 02:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

BigDinCA is keeping up the good workBigDinCA is keeping up the good workBigDinCA is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by izanagi View Post
...I guess in summary: does anyone know the different hardware iterations HTC has been through with the TP?

Buck nasty.
Very little, actually. The manufacturing of the phones is still the same, but a few changes to the process were made to correct a big problem with the top of the lower button pad being raised high above the bottom of the screen. The difference in the screen brightness my simply be a function of the light sensor in the earpiece. Does your new one still have the plastic shipped screen protector on it? That will slightly affect the sensor. Or maybe you've disabled the aotumatic backlight on your first one?
Old 03-13-2009, 02:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr8820 View Post
no disrespect to anyone but this has been covered http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...pro+build+date
I am appalled! No, seriously thanks man I did indeed search before posting this (although hastily b/c I was excited); that post is def. overkill tho.

Cheers
Old 03-13-2009, 03:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinCA View Post
Very little, actually. The manufacturing of the phones is still the same, but a few changes to the process were made to correct a big problem with the top of the lower button pad being raised high above the bottom of the screen. The difference in the screen brightness my simply be a function of the light sensor in the earpiece. Does your new one still have the plastic shipped screen protector on it? That will slightly affect the sensor. Or maybe you've disabled the aotumatic backlight on your first one?

Wow, thanks man, that is exactly the response I was looking for. I turned off the automatic backlight adjustment and they were nearly identical. The new one (TP2) shipped with the screen protector on, but that would not have mattered in my comparison.

So far the biggest difference has been a slight discoloration of the battery cover. It had a tannish hue with TP1 and is now gray on TP2. I did notice the lip on the buttons you mentioned has been reduced.

Anyhoo, thanks. Any suggestions on what to do with the old one?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

BigDinCA is keeping up the good workBigDinCA is keeping up the good workBigDinCA is keeping up the good work

Keep it and play with it. Sell it on eBay. Throw it at some schmuck who cuts you off in traffic (that's not a light piece of equipment if you have a good arm). You could always see if one of the many developers on this site could use it as a donation to make custom ROM's. Or sell it and donate some of the money to these guys who put in all the hard work that the rest of us complain about. But if at all possible, try and keep the battery cover so you have a spare and can dye it. I'm dying mine blue today. Don't forget all of the other accessories, too! Some people can use those things. Happy Geeking!

Last edited by BigDinCA; 03-13-2009 at 05:35 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro