PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2009, 02:21 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Mogul 6800
Carrier: Sprint

mCastJR is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to mCastJR
Acer to Hack a Touch Pro

I'm thinking about picking up one of those 8.9" Acers this week, they're fairly cheap, and the performance seems decent. I've been using Mac for the past 3 years, but still retain a lot of my knowledge with PC's, but do you think this thing will be decent enough to run my touch pro along side with?

the only downside to getting the acer is i want the 6 cell battery for longer life, but it's only available on the highest model(pink one!) and the 6 cell batteries are over 100 bucks. =/

if anyone's running this combo could you please answer if this is good for me or not, if i could tether my phone to it, and would i be able to run, install, and play with my phone as far as modding/hacking/customizing with the tiny PC.

thanks in advance.

Rest in Peace:
Motorola Q
Pocket PC 6700
Old 01-22-2009, 02:31 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO
Carrier: EPRP 500

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: Acer to Hack a Touch Pro

Hmm if your Mac is Intel processor-based, why not just install Windows on it for unlocking and such where it requires a Windows?

As for tethering? I use Bluetooth over OS X to my TP.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

mCastJR is a n00b

ahh, forgot to state that i'm using a dual 1.8PPC G5

PPC for powerPC.

my G5 has no airport so i dont have wifi and bluetooth on it. i want something for school really, and if i get the thumbs up on this acer i'm definitly going for it.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:32 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Temp TP2 until the 3D

No1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIPNo1ustad is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to No1ustad

yea- ull be fine

Mogul -> Vogue -> TP -> TP2 -> Snap -> Evo -> 3D
Old 01-22-2009, 06:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond

mbritt80 is keeping up the good workmbritt80 is keeping up the good work

I have the Acer Aspire One and I tether my Diamond with no problem. I do suggest a wireless mouse. I think best buy will have them on sale for $300 occasionally. Mine was open box and I got it for $270. No problems, just remember it is a small laptop so it is a little slower.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:34 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Motorola A855 Droid
Carrier: Verizon

vesty16277 is keeping up the good workvesty16277 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to vesty16277

Quote:
Originally Posted by mCastJR View Post
I'm thinking about picking up one of those 8.9" Acers this week, they're fairly cheap, and the performance seems decent. I've been using Mac for the past 3 years, but still retain a lot of my knowledge with PC's, but do you think this thing will be decent enough to run my touch pro along side with?

the only downside to getting the acer is i want the 6 cell battery for longer life, but it's only available on the highest model(pink one!) and the 6 cell batteries are over 100 bucks. =/

if anyone's running this combo could you please answer if this is good for me or not, if i could tether my phone to it, and would i be able to run, install, and play with my phone as far as modding/hacking/customizing with the tiny PC.

thanks in advance.
Are you talking about the EEPC's? If so it's kind of a waste of money. They dont come with any optical drives and minimal hard drive space. Sure you can use flash drives, external hard drives and Cd/dvd roms, but by the time you cash those in you might as well bought a standard Laptop for $300-$500.

Maybe your into small stuff?? I dunno it is a personal preference but thats my 2 cents.
1- Motorola A855 Droid
1 - Flesh Light
Old 01-22-2009, 02:47 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesty16277 View Post
Are you talking about the EEPC's? If so it's kind of a waste of money. They dont come with any optical drives and minimal hard drive space..

I recently bought the 10" screen EeePC & I absolutely love the thing (I also have a 16.8" dual core Acer that I use for heavy Photoshop work) The Eee came with 160 gigs of hard drive space (two 80 gig partitions) & if I run out of space there I have a 500 gig laptop hard drive that will fit right in. I take it on business trips & tether it to my TouchPro with WMwifirouter.

I rarely use an optical drive, but for times when I need it I have a USB powered dual layer DVD burner.

~John
Old 01-22-2009, 02:48 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

mapleleaf14 is becoming a great contributor

+1 for the Acer Aspire One. I snagged one at MicroCenter for $229 on their black friday sale...bought it on a whim and ended up really digging it. For the money, it's a fun little unit - and it's great for using while laying on the couch and not wanting to un-dock my laptop!
Old 01-22-2009, 02:59 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

izzyforreal is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by mCastJR View Post

thanks in advance.
mCast: I've got an MSI Wind that I just love. I've upped the RAM to 2 gigs and it is a fabulous machine. I chose it over the Acer because of the larger screen and ease of upgrading RAM. As a matter of fact, I dual-boot Vista and Leopard. Vista works great for tethering with my Mogul and I have managed to set up a BT PAN network with the Mac, though it was really cumbersome getting it set up. I'm sure a Touch Pro would work just as well. My kid has a TP, I should try it with his.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

mCastJR is a n00b

im gonna go buy one tonight, i have a friend that can get me a 6 cell battery for hopefully not too much.

anyone running vista on the tiny thing?

i was thinking of getting the MSI wind, to run OSX on it, and im not sure how that thing will perform with dual boot, or vmware fusion.

i'll just see what i can do with a bit of trial and error(hopefully not) with these ultra portable laptops.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro