PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 12:29 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO - VirusROM
Carrier: Sprint

SnoopDawg is keeping up the good workSnoopDawg is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: ReadyBoost for Touch Pro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDrake View Post
I think the OP misunderstands readyboost a little bit.

Readyboost lpre-loads commonly accessed files on to reserved space on USB flash drives. Only USB 2.0 drives are supported, and some flash drives that are 2.0 may still fail due to having inherently low speeds.

The reason that these small files are loaded into the flash drive is because the access times are much faster than that of a hard drive. In a hard drive, the read/write head has to physically move around the platters inside the drive to access information stored in different locations. On a flash drive, it's all solid-state, so access times are considerably faster - no moving parts to have to wait for!

Our phones don't have hard drives, their internal storage is solid state. The internal memory and RAM both have fairly high data transfer rates... especially when compared to the transfer speed of the SD card slot. So because there is little-to-no latency for small, random read/writes, something like readyboost wouldn't help at all.
As I am scrolling down the message, I was like maybe there is a misunderstanding of what readyboost is. ShadowDrake, you are spot on!

It is only for application executables. There is a process that benchmarks the card to determine if it would meet certain performance requirements.

The pagepool loads the executable in memory so it doesn't need to reload for each block. Now the executable has to be less than the pagepool size.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Just out of curiousity... does the TP meet ReadyBoost specs in Mass Storage mode?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:00 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond & Treo 700wx / HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: TELUS / Verizon Wireless
Threadstarter

Devileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good workDevileyezz is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to Devileyezz

Guys, I'm not wondering if I could have "Readyboost" and exactly that for WinMo. I'm just saying it would be great if we could somehow get technology that does the same thing that Readyboost does.

I'm sorry if I didn't express myself properly, the excitement about the possibility of such a technology blurred me, hehe
Old 04-04-2009, 08:10 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

pastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good work

M$ doesn't need to do anymore tricks to coax more speed out of the old beast that is WinCE based Windows Mobile. The problem is all the accumulated tricks that are cooked in in a effort to maintain that backward compatibility that M$ loves so much. What's really needed is a total and complete OS rewrite, which is what v7 is supposed to be. The problem there IMHO, is that it's already a year too late.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:39 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: XV6900, SCH-i760, BB8130, and Palm Centro,
Carrier: Verizon

manofhonor24 is a n00b

I have been thinking that they need to come out with more versions of the Windows Mobile operating system.

They have the smartphone edition, and the pocket pc edition, but they need one for advanced users. Now Granted this probably wont happen, but it would be nice.

Also too I wonder if they could get CPU's from AMD and Intel instead of Qualcomm
Old 04-28-2009, 01:13 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manofhonor24 View Post
I have been thinking that they need to come out with more versions of the Windows Mobile operating system.

They have the smartphone edition, and the pocket pc edition, but they need one for advanced users. Now Granted this probably wont happen, but it would be nice.

Also too I wonder if they could get CPU's from AMD and Intel instead of Qualcomm
Well, Qualcomm isn't really to blame for the processor. Sure, they manufacture it, but ARM set the architecture standard. The ARM architecture has it's advantages though, primarily when compared to the x86 architecture, which is what you're talking about from AMD and Intel...

Quote:
The x86-compatible family is (with a few exceptions that we can safely
ignore) only employed as part of a more or less wholly PC-compatible
hardware architecture. These processors are large and extremely
energy-hungry; active cooling is almost universally required in x86
designs, and mains power is preferable.
So, in contrast, an ARM processor merely sips power, doesn't generate much heat, and works MUCH better in a mobile application like this.

To compare, a laptop battery is ~6000 mah or more. The battery in our little phones is a mere 1300 mah. A laptop will EASILY run out of juice in 3 hours, while we expect our phones to run for 24+.

I think a little bit of credit for the ARM processor is due. When you make the comparison, it's an amazing piece of hardware

Edit: I'll add a little more. Intel is trying to take a bit of ARM's market share. The Atom processors are small, power-efficient processors that can run without a cooling provision in some cases. The x86 architecture has a primary advantage that you could run -REAL- windows on your phone, as well as all of your full Windows programs. 800 mhz on an x86 processor blows away 800 mhz on an ARM processor. Still, the Atom processors have been too power hungry still, and have ended up becoming popular for Netbooks. I think ARM is here to stay, x86/x64 just doesn't work for very small mobile applications. ARM has been in the game way longer, and knows what they're doing. It's like comparing a domestic pickup (F150) to a japanese attempt - like the Tundra :P

Last edited by ShadowDrake; 04-28-2009 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:25 PM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Well, what is the definition of "slow" for the first poster? Is it a stock ROM with no tweaks? Or is he already running a custom ROM and still find the TP to be slow?

For the hardware the TP has...the stock ROM's SUX!! I'm sure we can all agree, that for any carrier...there really is no stock ROM that can match function, speed, and "power" to a custom ROM.

As for WinMo (all vers to include 6.5) we are all aware that it is an OLD O/S and needs some serious evolving. Remember WinMo was NOT developed for a "P-H-O-N-E" WinMo is NOT touch friendly and lots of people try to hold the O/S up to what Apple has done.

For all its inferior traits, we can thank our lucky stars that WinMo is pretty much wide open. Allowing us to tweak, prod, pull the MOST out of our devices. I think M/S understands communities like XDA and us here...that they tolerate what we do. Because honestly, do we really think for one sec they don't know some of us are running WM6.5 before their official release?

Bottom line is that for the most bang for the buck (LOTS OF BUCK) forget ReadyBoost, but run custom ROMs and learn to tweak your phone. That way you're "unlocking" (no pun intended) the devices potential.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro