PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2009, 03:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRo
Carrier: Alltel

dyskinesia is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
EZ Automated UC ?

OK this may be better in a more ROM centered section but I thought I'd throw it out there and see.

I did a lot of research a few months back on doing UC restores with ROM flashing it seemed rather tedious with lots of unique code/scripts to write. there were a few programs to automate this process but they were still in their infancy and still a bit of work.

What is the current state of UC automation? I'd love to upgrade my current flashed ROM to one of the ones with the new TF2 manilla but I really like the way everything is set now. I don't mind doing it once more but I'd love to get it automated so I can hop on/off ROMS until I find one I like.

Thanks
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: EZ Automated UC ?

nobody?
Old 04-03-2009, 01:44 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid / Omnia II
Carrier: The Dark Side

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyskinesia View Post
nobody?
Try this thread on SDConfig: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=59566

The wiki at XDA is also very useful: http://wiki.xda-developers.com/index...gename=AutoRun

It may seem a little overwhelming at first, but it is really pretty straightforward. Took me 15 minutes to get my SDConfig set up, saves me that much time, at least, everytime I flash my phone!

SD Config is also exceptionally powerful. I have it install all my programs, install the registry keys on apps that I paid for, set up my email, install security certificates for my exchange server, restore weather settings for TF3D and restore favorite program shortcuts on the programs tab.
Why donate to one person, when you can support the site that makes it all possible instead

Last edited by parkjam; 04-03-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:58 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

At the same time, you could just dump all your .cab files into a single folder and run Sashimi... done deal, no need to create an SDconfig.txt or anything like that.

I haven't been too big a fan of sashimi in the past, but I like it better than UC. Lesser of two evils.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

so, if you are not a fan of either what do you use? just reinstall everything every time?
Old 04-03-2009, 02:31 PM
ShadowDrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyskinesia View Post
so, if you are not a fan of either what do you use? just reinstall everything every time?
I use Sashimi, it can do everything that UC can... it's easier in some areas, a little more difficult in others.

To install a set of .cabs, you just put them in \Storage Card\SASHIMI\Auto\CAB

When Sashimi is run then, it will go through the list of .cab files in that folder, and install them - alphabetically. If certain programs require special prompts (like Skyfire, for example) the install will pause, allow you to choose any options you may need, and it will automatically continue. You also, if you so choose, can set it up to run through those options for you, so it never has to pause. I've found this is just a big hassle to set up though.

Sashimi can copy files. Again - \Storage Card\SASHIMI\Auto\Root\...

The root folder is essentially an image of your phone's root folder... so if you want a file called secret.txt in My Documents, after a resest, you would place a copy of the file in...

\Storage Card\SASHIMI\Auto\Root\My Documents\secret.txt

And it will be copied when sashimi is run. Sashimi can delete files as well (though, I'll admit this is easier in UC), and it can install .reg files automatically. It can use provxml files to set up things like e-mail accounts, and even has a program to generate the .xml files for you.

It's considerably better than UC... but I still feel as if many improvements could be made.

The whole UI could be re-worked to be much more smooth and fast - and more intuitive. Sashimi creates a bunch of junk entries in your start menu list, and it's just a hassle to make a file to have them removed. Also, once the auto install is done, it will give you 10 seconds to say yes to soft resetting, otherwise it defaults to NO. It would be nice to change a setting to have it default to yes, this way I can just have it run and take care of everything.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

there are apps that automatically make the sdconfig.txt file for you, so its as easy as putting all your files in a folder and saying make an sdconfig.txt out of these files and it does all the work for you.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:39 PM
ShadowDrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd214 View Post
there are apps that automatically make the sdconfig.txt file for you, so its as easy as putting all your files in a folder and saying make an sdconfig.txt out of these files and it does all the work for you.
While nice, sashimi is self-contained. And I often find myself stumbling across extra apps that I would like to keep after a hard reset. All I need to do is copy the .cab to the right folder, done deal. If using UC, I'd need to re-run the program to make the sdconfig.txt and copy it again.

I haven't used any of these programs, couldn't find them when I experimented with UC over sashimi, but the sdconfig file contains file copy commands and delete commands as well, how do you go about setting these up every time?
Old 04-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Back
Pocket PC: Droid X
Carrier: VZW

redd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the communityredd214 is a trusted member of the community

if i find a new app thats not part of my current sdconfig.txt i wouldnt rerun the program to build another one, its as easy as adding a new line into the text file not that labor intensive at all. i personally dont rebuild my sdconfig.txt it more than once i simply just add to it or delete from it. we could go back and forth but it really comes down to user preference. both have their pros and cons

Last edited by redd214; 04-03-2009 at 02:51 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid / Omnia II
Carrier: The Dark Side

parkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on repparkjam is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDrake View Post
At the same time, you could just dump all your .cab files into a single folder and run Sashimi... done deal, no need to create an SDconfig.txt or anything like that.

I haven't been too big a fan of sashimi in the past, but I like it better than UC. Lesser of two evils.
I don't know. I personally didn't like the fact that most ROMs aren't sashimi compliant, so it setup an SDConfig to install sashimi, rebooted and then ran sashimi. Then for the life of that flash, I always had sashimi installed on my phone. It just seemed easier to eliminate the middle man and do the SDConfig myself.

As for adding programs you picked up, I never found it a hassle to just type

CAB: Storage Card\Cab\whatever.cab at the end of my SDConfig file.

The other thing about SD Config I like is that I can control the order that things happen in, as opposed to haveing to rename files to work with Sashimi's alphabetical model. To me that was important as far as registry settings\tweaks that had to occur after a particular program was installed, as in the case of inputting serial numbers for me.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro