PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 09:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

djfujiyama is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Battery drain/charge rates

Hey guys,

Did a search on this but didn't find anything.

Question #1: Is anyone able to get their phone to charge while an active call is in use?

Battery monitor shows that charging and discharging rates are close to equal when plugged into the wall and talking at the same time.

This is with the fastcharge and battery hacks enabled, so normal charging rates are ~800-900 mah.

But as soon as i get on the phone, the charge rate drops to ~450 and discharge jumps to ~450 and the battery is basically in equilibrium. Is this normal? Is there no way to charge a phone while it's in use?

Question #2: I bought a generic car charger from target and it only charges at 250 mah. I was wondering why my phone always died while it was plugged in. I guess not all car chargers are built the same. Which one do you guys recommend and what is the charging mAh rating for it?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Battery drain/charge rates

anyone?
Old 03-26-2009, 08:04 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC ARRIVE
Carrier: sprint

havox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rephavox22 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfujiyama View Post
Hey guys,

Question #1: Is anyone able to get their phone to charge while an active call is in use?

Battery monitor shows that charging and discharging rates are close to equal when plugged into the wall and talking at the same time.

This is with the fastcharge and battery hacks enabled, so normal charging rates are ~800-900 mah.

But as soon as i get on the phone, the charge rate drops to ~450 and discharge jumps to ~450 and the battery is basically in equilibrium. Is this normal? Is there no way to charge a phone while it's in use?

Question #2: I bought a generic car charger from target and it only charges at 250 mah. I was wondering why my phone always died while it was plugged in. I guess not all car chargers are built the same. Which one do you guys recommend and what is the charging mAh rating for it?
for #1 yes, i havnt used a program to see the discharge rates but i know it was charging because it had just died before i got on the phone i pluged it in for about a 3 hr call was at 30% when i got off the phone so it was charging but the main thing is to keep it cool

& for #2 i think it only charges at 250 because the car prolly wont let it get more juice then that. like u will get the more juice from the wall then a laptop but im not sure because my cigarette lighter in my car doesnt work so ive never used 1 so i dont really know

Dank-Ass Robba

Old 03-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Mine charges at I think 1A, though I don't remember. It came with my bluetooth GPS unit and I've used it on a trip for hours without my phone losing charge or dying. You just gotta make sure the charge rates are ~1A, which is what our normal wall chargers charge at.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Yeah i've bought two car chargers so far and they've both charged at less than 1A. Thats why im looking for specific brand recommendations. Maybe i should just buy OEM charger?

And even the wall chargers dont really charge the phone when im on a call. They just prevent the phone from dying pretty much...
Old 03-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfujiyama View Post
Hey guys,

I have the same issue and it is quite annoying....
Old 03-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Another thing is, I've found that if I plug in a dead phone for maybe 5 minutes and then try to place a call, I can have the call be indefinitely long. However if I try to place the call right after I plug it in and turn it back on after it died, it'll come out of flight mode, but as I place a call it will go back into flight mode. I can only assume that this is due to the fact that the voltage required to operate the radio exceeds the battery when its nearly dead. Leaving it on the charger for a couple minutes lets it get over that hurdle and it won't die no matter how long I'm on the phone for. Obviously my phone's screen would be off to save batteries during this time.

It could be the act of having the phone on and monitoring the battery discharge level that causes the charge/discharge to equal, but in practical use I find that it's capable of charging faster than it can discharge during calls. Same thing for when I'm using WMWifiRouter in a cool environment where it doesn't overheat.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:11 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Duh, think about it...

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
Mine charges at I think 1A, though I don't remember. It came with my bluetooth GPS unit and I've used it on a trip for hours without my phone losing charge or dying. You just gotta make sure the charge rates are ~1A, which is what our normal wall chargers charge at.
I had my phone plugged into the wall charger today at work, and it wouldnt charge anywhere near 1A, not even over 500mA. I wonder if its the battery like a guy posted in another recent thread.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch PRO baby
Carrier: ATT

xgm541 is becoming a great contributor

from your first post i am unsure if you actually tested to see if your battery died during a phone call, however, if you are using a program to monitor the battery, I read somewhere on ppcggeks that many battery monitoring programs do not accurately measure your charge/discharge rates. But to answer your later question, a 250mAh charger is extremely weak and I do believe that your phone will die if you are talking and charging with it.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Guys, being able to talk on the phone without it dying is NOT the same as being able to CHARGE your phone while talking. To charge, your input has to exceed your output.

Btw, if the OEM wall charger isnt charging at 800-900mah, use the fastcharge hack to get quicker charging.

I still dont know what car charger to buy but i guess i'll try out an OEM one.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro