PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 12:27 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

Vayaconqueso is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
VZ users with (working for the moment) Sprint TP's... What are our alternatives?

I put this in a new thread, as I thought the topic was different enough, and folks are calling for the lockdown of the Sprint TP on VZW thread.
What I'm asking is - I have a currently activated Sprint TP on VZW - I got in before they locked *228.
I love the phone, and would like to keep it, but tech isn't going to add the MEID. SO, what are the options?

1) Keep using it - hoping that VZ doesn't become proactive and disable "alien" phones on it's network. - Also, as i understand it, I won't be able to flash a new rom - or do anything else that might risk necessitating a re-activation.

2) go back to my 6800... (not somthing I'm looking forward to)

3) dump VZ and go to sprint/att/ etc. Not really an option in my case - sprint's coverage just isn't quite as good in my area.

4) Buy a VZW touch pro. As much as this irks me, I think I may have to go this route. My NE2 is up (for all of $50... ) I'm guessing my gently used Sprint TP can bring in at least $200 on the craigslist / ebay market.

I could of course sit tight and wait for the Diamond 2 or TP 2 to come out - but with VZ, there's no way to know when this might happen - i don't see it happening in the next 6 months either way - anyone feel differently?

I'm just curious what the other folks in "Sprint TP Limbo" are doing.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:26 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: N/a

Nimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on repNimdock is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: VZ users with (working for the moment) Sprint TP's... What are our alternatives?

I would say keep using it. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.
Old 03-31-2009, 01:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel HTC Touch Pro

RonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRonDutt is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: VZ users with (working for the moment) Sprint TP's... What are our alternatives?

Me...I'm trying every night to find someone who can help. About the only thing left to do...They know about the Any Apps Any Device program but it hasn't gone into effect yet, so they can't really do anything. From the rep I spoke with, estimated launch date is 2011 so we're pretty much SOL.

Tried again just now:
Rep:"No, we won't ever add a new phone for you, not unless it been made by Verizon and flashed with Verizon"
Me: "Ok, please go ahead and cancel my service"
Rep: "No, have a good day"

This time I did get the guys full name and recorded the call...What has gone wrong with Verizon?! They were the PERFECT wireless carrier, now they treat their customers like dirt. Had a friend call and try to activate another WinMo phone from Alltel and he got rejected with "You'll have to buy a new phone, I'm sorry that you spent $XXX to purchase it but it is not compatible and we won't add ESNs that are not already in our database"

Last edited by RonDutt; 03-31-2009 at 01:42 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:47 AM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff

lol, verizon was the perfect service? they've been crippling their phones since phones had enough technology to be crippled.

i would use the phone as long as possible, and probably end up buying the crippled tp. but the added cost of the tp on verizon, you could prob pay out your contract and switch to sprint, and just roam (since sprint roams on vzw). nevermind the money you would save on your monthly plan if you have any sort of current consumer plan on verizon.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I have a Sprint TP on Verizon also. I have had it working since November.

You don't really have to worry about ROM flashing, I bet I've flashed mine 30 times (I just flahed to Mighty 4.16 recently) & never had to re-activate it. I have also done Sprite restores with no problems.

I don't think there is too much to worry about unless my phone breaks & I can't get it running again. If that happens, I wouldn't be happy about it but I would probably just have to buy the VZ version as switching to Sprint is out of the question (I've had Sprint service before & would NEVER go back).

Switching to the VZ TP would irritate me on GP, but that phone is nowhere near as bad as some posters here (who have probably never used one) claim it is. I have two co-workers who own the VZ TP & they love them. I flashed one of them to scrosler's latest ROM & did all the speed tweaks etc & his phone runs great. It doesn't have as much available free mem as mine obviously, but it has more than enough for most everyday use.

I have A/B'ed his phone side by side with mine & the speed etc is almost identical between the two most of the time.

~John
Old 03-31-2009, 07:26 AM
VIP Member

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonDutt View Post
Me: "Ok, please go ahead and cancel my service"
Rep: "No, have a good day"

This time I did get the guys full name and recorded the call...What has gone wrong with Verizon?! They were the PERFECT wireless carrier
I don't understand how they can refuse to cancel your service? Are you under contract??

I agree that VZ was the best service/network coverage hands down, I had nightmare problems with Sprint's coverage when I was with them. Switching to VZ improved my service 1000%. It did always irritate me that VZ phone selection sucked however (you just can't have everything I guess)

~John
Old 03-31-2009, 09:28 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

helix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good work

You can probably buy an Alltel phone and get it activated. Some posters have said after the 5th it should work without a hitch.

Personally, I'm going to keep using what Ive got. I simply refuse to pay more when I already have a device that will work and is a better device. In the event it stops working, they may just lose me, my 8 years of service, and my $135/month bill. What I really find asinine is this really makes no sense at all from a business perspective as they don't have to subsidize foreign phones.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:43 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helix139 View Post
What I really find asinine is this really makes no sense at all from a business perspective as they don't have to subsidize foreign phones.
That's what I don't get either, it seems like VZ has everything to gain & absolutely NOTHING to lose if you use for example a Sprint phone.

Carriers don't make any money from hardware sales, there gig is the monthly service fee & VZ certainly gets paid enough in that regard. When you use a phone from a different carrier, they still get exactly the same monthly fee & really aren't obligated to give you any tech support whatever (although I personally have found they bend over backwards to please the customer no matter what phone they are using, but that seems to have changed in the past few weeks according to the latest posts)

~John
Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

helix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good work

I guess it's like ordering something different than what's on the menu at McDonalds. You aren't supposed to do that and half the time it doesn't compute
Old 03-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Motorola Droid

jnngill is a n00b

My Sprint Touch Pro died a few days ago and I have been carrying asurion on the line for the last couple years. Never asked me if I wanted to stop it when I changed phones. So when it broke they are sending a new one. Verizon version, I know its not a true equal but it's better then buying a new one and starting the game all over. So I'm guessing that if you still have asurion on the line they'll just replace it with the verizon version if it were to stop working. Maybe not the best choice but a choice none the less.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro