PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 08:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

mmtbb is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Does your Touch get hot, and drain?

Over the last couple of days I have noticed that the TP will get hot and the battery will drain rapidly. Anyone else experience this?

There are no out-of-the-ordinary programs running in the background.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO

xefe is becoming a great contributor
Re: Does your Touch get hot, and drain?

These things get VERY hot. I spend alot of time in my car stationary and am on the internet alot. Alot of times I just put the phone by the defroster and toss on the AC. If it gets too hot it will not charge and drain fast. Keeping it cool, allows me to charge it and stay on for longer periods of time. Eventually though it will drain out. While connected to the net the phone drains more than it charges.

Probably not what you were looking for so for short answer, yes it does.

These are mini computers.

*only gets hot when I am talking on phone or using net connection and definatly when GPS is activated.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: TouchPRO2

Quirk is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to Quirk

Mine will get hot when I'm using it, surfing for anything longer than a few minutes or playing any games besides the stock ones will cause it.

I'm thinking about picking up a bunch of spare battery covers and seeing if cutting a few vent slots in it will help any.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

mbell75 is just getting started

My old TP that had the defective battery got warm after about an hour on the charger. My new one doesnt even got warm let alone hot. Even when I left it plugged into the charger for about 9 hours overnight.

If yours is overheating and draining rapidly, you most likely have a defective battery. Go exchange it.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Fuze
Carrier: AT&T

Hafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIPHafrust is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

It's a known issue and there are many threads about it. It is not heat coming from the battery. If you feel where the heat is coming from, it is near the top, not near the battery. I personally have used 2 different Touch Pro's (one of the older builds and a newer one), 3 different radios, and I have 3 batteries. They still get hot when in use, regardless of the variables. As xefe mentioned, you can use out of the box solutions to try and keep the phone cool enough to stay charging while in use.

Having problems finding what you're looking for? Here are some tips on how to search the site more effectively.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:55 AM
N00b

ICU812 is just getting started

Running MightyROM and Telus radio = life is good! Thanks Mike.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:07 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: Verizon

jcparish is just getting started

My Touch Pro was getting very hot and the battery was draining very quickly. I took it in to Verizon and had them change the battery. Haven't had any problem with the heat anymore and the battery lasts longer, still not great, but better with the newer battery. I would suggest you take it in to the dealer and change it out.

JCP
Old 03-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

sprinttouch666 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsprinttouch666 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsprinttouch666 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsprinttouch666 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsprinttouch666 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICU812 View Post
Running MightyROM and Telus radio = life is good! Thanks Mike.
agreed, i no longer have problems w/ this since using the MightROM (4 sprint tho)
Old 03-30-2009, 03:43 AM
Regular 'Geeker

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work

I understand what you're talking about, the phone is idling right? Then you'll notice it's hot and draining.

I get that occasionally. Best I can tell, it happens when it's really struggling with the cell reception.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

mmtbb is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr g View Post
I understand what you're talking about, the phone is idling right? Then you'll notice it's hot and draining.

I get that occasionally. Best I can tell, it happens when it's really struggling with the cell reception.
YES! This is exactly what I am talking about. I won't be doing anything. It will be on my belt clip and I will notice it is really hot.

It will drain really quick and my wall charrger can't keep up with it.

Here are a few things that I noticed:

1. If I turn on nuePower during this time, the power usage will peak up to 525mA every 20 seconds under "discharge". Also, it will only allow me to charge at 425mA. Thus, it drains incredibly fast.

2. If I Soft reset the device everything goes back to normal. No more peaks on discharging. The Charge will also go back to normal ~850mA.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro