PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 11:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: I dont even have a phone.
Carrier: Pony Express

zikronix is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzikronix is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzikronix is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
aGPS...How do I know if its working?

according to everything i read.. mine should be workign but i dont think it is.

i have a sprint tp on vzw. I modified the gps one settings and the sub sequent registry entries to match...

i open google maps while im in doors (cant get gps signal) I hit the my location button it says its un availaible. So I turn on gps (which it wont get a sattilite because im in basement.) try again.. nothing

specific configuration of my phone

mighty 4.16
Telus Radio 1.04.05
vzw modifed prl 51284
PRI: Original sprint 1.53_003 (Vzw leaked rom doesnt flash pri) and i dont need the hacked one released by bored

any ideas
Old 03-27-2009, 12:14 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: Sprint

bkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuffbkhoste knows their stuff
Re: aGPS...How do I know if its working?

Not to sound mean, but did you try moving outside when you turn on the GPS on Google Maps?
Gadget/Phone History: Motorola DynaTAC 8000x; Casio BOSS; Palm Vx; Palm m130; Palm Tungsten T; Sanyo 7300; Sanyo Katana; PPC-6700; Titan; Mogul; Touch Pro, Palm Pre; HTC EVO, Motorola Photon; Samsung Galaxy Note 2 .
Old 03-27-2009, 12:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch PRO baby
Carrier: ATT

xgm541 is becoming a great contributor

I think youve got agps and google gps confused

AGPS works with ur GPS drivers to get a more accurate position for you. Google GPS as I called it comes built in with google maps which uses cell towers to tell you approximately where you are on a map based on which cell phone towers you are near. Essentially aGPS is the same thing except aGPS is used for acquiring a GPS signal while google gps can be used without a GPS chip at all.

Now about the "unavailable" error, i know that when i am in the city i get google to tell me where i am without GPS enabled within 1000 meters all the time. When I am up state google sometimes tells me, sometimes doesnt. Because google says "location unavailable" does not mean aGPS is off because they are two separate things.

try taking a car somewhere else and see if google gps works there.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: I dont even have a phone.
Carrier: Pony Express
Threadstarter

zikronix is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzikronix is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzikronix is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkhoste View Post
Not to sound mean, but did you try moving outside when you turn on the GPS on Google Maps?

not the issue....i know that see my reply to the following post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgm541
I think youve got agps and google gps confused

AGPS works with ur GPS drivers to get a more accurate position for you. Google GPS as I called it comes built in with google maps which uses cell towers to tell you approximately where you are on a map based on which cell phone towers you are near. Essentially aGPS is the same thing except aGPS is used for acquiring a GPS signal while google gps can be used without a GPS chip at all.

Now about the "unavailable" error, i know that when i am in the city i get google to tell me where i am without GPS enabled within 1000 meters all the time. When I am up state google sometimes tells me, sometimes doesnt. Because google says "location unavailable" does not mean aGPS is off because they are two separate things.

try taking a car somewhere else and see if google gps works there.

agps is assisted gps i understand that. what im reffering to is the following...I have gmm (google maps mobile) on my blackberry and i have it on my tpro. My bberry 8830 has agps as well...gmm has the option to use cell trianglation or use gps at least on my blackberry. What im talking about is the cell trianglation (a feature built into the agps stadard (when supported by the tower)) doesnt seem to work on my tp. cell trianglation works fine on the berry in the same city. Basically if im in an area with poor gps signal...gmm should default to cell trianglation... and it should tell me "my location" but instead on my tp it just tells me location not availaible....but it should be and i dont see why it wouldnt unless it just simply doesnt work on the tp.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:00 AM
Newsie and More
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

Ticklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuffTicklemepinks knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zikronix View Post
not the issue....i know that see my reply to the following post below.

agps is assisted gps i understand that. what im reffering to is the following...I have gmm (google maps mobile) on my blackberry and i have it on my tpro. My bberry 8830 has agps as well...gmm has the option to use cell trianglation or use gps at least on my blackberry. What im talking about is the cell trianglation (a feature built into the agps stadard (when supported by the tower)) doesnt seem to work on my tp. cell trianglation works fine on the berry in the same city. Basically if im in an area with poor gps signal...gmm should default to cell trianglation... and it should tell me "my location" but instead on my tp it just tells me location not availaible....but it should be and i dont see why it wouldnt unless it just simply doesnt work on the tp.
i don't think out tpro have agps hence the lag in the gps, I may be wrong but I heard it didn't boo
Old 03-27-2009, 06:48 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

According to recent postings, you need to switch to the telus aGPS settings as the VZ ones don't work anymore.

I haven't paid too much attention to it as the GPS in my Sprint TP on VZ service is still working just fine (I got a 10 satellite lock from inside where I work yesterday)

~John
Old 03-27-2009, 09:44 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

helix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good workhelix139 is keeping up the good work

Use Bored's modified PRI. It works like a charm. Locks are near instantaneous for me.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

What you are referring to isn't called AGPS, but rather called Cell-ID, which is a GSM technology. Windows mobile doesn't support the cell triangulation feature for some reason, which is a problem because we can't use the My Location feature without enabling GPS first. This was an issue raised with the latest Google Latitude where WM won't update it's location if the phone is in standby or if Google Maps is closed because WM can't initialize the My Location function that relies on tower triangulation.

AGPS is specifically the technology that requires GPS satellites, but uses nearby cellphone towers to 'hint' as to it's location which helps the GPS chip lock much faster than standalone GPS.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:12 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch PRO

Yankees368 is becoming a great contributor

Can someone clear this up for me once and for all?

Once in Penn Station in NYC with my old Mogul titan, deep underground waiting for a train, I turned on google maps. To my surprise, gmaps pinpointed me on the map in penn station. Clearly, it did not use GPS. I have no been able to get the TP to do this kind of action. Was that a-GPS in action?
Old 03-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
Can someone clear this up for me once and for all?

Once in Penn Station in NYC with my old Mogul titan, deep underground waiting for a train, I turned on google maps. To my surprise, gmaps pinpointed me on the map in penn station. Clearly, it did not use GPS. I have no been able to get the TP to do this kind of action. Was that a-GPS in action?
sometimes GPS signals can bounce around and reach indoors. I've been able to acquire locks inside restaurants and the sort. As for deep inside Penn Station, that's pretty hardcore. Do you remember if it said GPS and the number of satellites in parenthesis?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro