PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Yet another way to lock the phone?? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=62544)

typeadam 03-26-2009 07:37 PM

Yet another way to lock the phone??

OK, this is probably going to sound confusing...

There's a lot of screen lock threads here and on xda but I have not come across one that is specific to what I'm looking for so I'm not sure it's even possible...
So here's my current setting:
- only the power button turns the phone on and off
- holding the end button locks the screen
Here's what I'm looking for:
- 1 press of the power button will lock the screen/buttons and turn it off
Believe it or not, holding the end button for 3 seconds to lock the phone is a time waster, I'd rather just press the power button once and it'll lock it and turn it off. This way, holding the end button will allow me to set it to turn the radio off - like on almost all previous PPCs and virtually every other phone.
I'm not a fan of S2U2 or other programs of the sort.
I know TouchLock and Gyrator have something similar where you can insert the stylus to lock it but I'm looking for simplicity and ease w/o additional programs.
I'm sure that remapping the power button to lock the phone is possible but that won't turn the screen off. I'm looking to do both at once w/ 1 button press.
For example on all my previous Treos (WM and PalmOS), if I pressed the power button it would shut the screen off. If I pressed the power button again, it would wake the phone up but the keys would be locked - just like the TP lock screen...
BTW, if DisableSMSWakeUpEvent worked properly on the Touch Pro I wouldn't really care since the power button isn't easily pressed by itself...
Thanks!

haus 03-26-2009 07:50 PM

Re: Yet another way to lock the phone??

Edit: Version 2.6.0.5 exhibited a bug that asked me to activate even though the software was activated (in the program activation screen, all my info is there and it says "Activated". I upgraded to 2.6.1.0 and I hope this issue is resolved.

PocketShield.

I know you're not a fan of S2U2 or programs of that sort, but after a week I consider PocketShield essential, and it hasn't given me any problems. Give it a try...

Talon Pro 03-26-2009 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by typeadam (Post 802193)
OK, this is probably going to sound confusing...

There's a lot of screen lock threads here and on xda but I have not come across one that is specific to what I'm looking for so I'm not sure it's even possible...
So here's my current setting:
- only the power button turns the phone on and off
- holding the end button locks the screen
Here's what I'm looking for:
- 1 press of the power button will lock the screen/buttons and turn it off
Believe it or not, holding the end button for 3 seconds to lock the phone is a time waster, I'd rather just press the power button once and it'll lock it and turn it off. This way, holding the end button will allow me to set it to turn the radio off - like on almost all previous PPCs and virtually every other phone.
I'm not a fan of S2U2 or other programs of the sort.
I know TouchLock and Gyrator have something similar where you can insert the stylus to lock it but I'm looking for simplicity and ease w/o additional programs.
I'm sure that remapping the power button to lock the phone is possible but that won't turn the screen off. I'm looking to do both at once w/ 1 button press.
For example on all my previous Treos (WM and PalmOS), if I pressed the power button it would shut the screen off. If I pressed the power button again, it would wake the phone up but the keys would be locked - just like the TP lock screen...
BTW, if DisableSMSWakeUpEvent worked properly on the Touch Pro I wouldn't really care since the power button isn't easily pressed by itself...
Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by haus (Post 802230)
PocketShield.

I know you're not a fan of S2U2 or programs of that sort, but after a week I consider PocketShield essential, and it hasn't given me any problems. Give it a try...

Sensor lock. It locks when you hit the power button, and you hit the power to wake up and flip it in your hand to unlock.

Mr_Alexander 03-26-2009 07:58 PM

I was going to mention SensorLock as well.

jmorton10 03-26-2009 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haus (Post 802230)
PocketShield.

I agree, PocketShield is awesome (& I have tried them all)

~John

typeadam 03-26-2009 08:22 PM

Wow, sensorlock is just what I was looking for + it's customizable! Thanks!

typeadam 03-26-2009 08:22 PM

I'll give PocketShield a try too.. thanks!

ShadowDrake 03-26-2009 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by typeadam (Post 802300)
I'll give PocketShield a try too.. thanks!

I've found the touch pro is a little big too flip in your hand easily. Pocketshield works much nicer and is also very speedy.

Pocketshield can unlock via on-screen slide, center button, opening the keyboard, removing stylus, LIGHT SENSOR (so when it powers up and it sees light, it automatically unlocks), and movement gestures... it's considerably more powerful than sensorlock, which is pretty much a one-trick pony in comparison.

jmorton10 03-26-2009 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShadowDrake (Post 802443)
I've found the touch pro is a little big to flip in your hand easily. Pocketshield works much nicer and is also very speedy.

I agree 100%. I was using Sensor Lock for a while, but after I discovered PS there is no way I would ever use any other locking app.

~John

bubbatex 03-26-2009 11:26 PM

Wow, PS does look pretty good. I am using S2U2 now but it seems a little "heavy" and I don't necessarily like the phone call interaction. Is PS "quick"? It seems that I will always see the original WM screens before S2U2 kicks in - thus my comment on heavy - as in it seems to take some time to react appropriatly.

Anyway - guess I could just test it and see!