PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 03:59 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

mbell75 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For those with battery issues

Here is something that might help you out. The guy who helped me where I bought my phone has has a TP since its come out and has a friend who is a rep for HTC. When my battery was dying after only 10 hours without much use, I figured something was up and returned it. He agreed it was odd and said that HTC had some major QC issues with defective batteries, especially in the models shipped before Feb 09. One of the reasons is in the design itself, the magnetic back to be specific. Magnets and batteries of this type arent a very good mix and I dont know why HTC designed it like that.

If you are one of these people only getting 8-12 hours off a full charge and you arent using the phone that much, you have a defective battery and should return the phone. Thats what mine was doing. It would drop from like 90% to 50% overnight in sleep mode without me touching it. So he knew this was not right and replaced the phone. My new one works great, I get 24 hours or so off a full charge with pretty heavy use and closer to 36 hours with moderate use. I can go a full 2 days without charging if its being lightly used, just a few texts and emails. This is the performance that you should be seeing with the stock ROM.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: TP
Carrier: Duh, think about it...

Talon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regularTalon Pro is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: For those with battery issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Here is something that might help you out. The guy who helped me where I bought my phone has has a TP since its come out and has a friend who is a rep for HTC. When my battery was dying after only 10 hours without much use, I figured something was up and returned it. He agreed it was odd and said that HTC had some major QC issues with defective batteries, especially in the models shipped before Feb 09. One of the reasons is in the design itself, the magnetic back to be specific. Magnets and batteries of this type arent a very good mix and I dont know why HTC designed it like that.

If you are one of these people only getting 8-12 hours off a full charge and you arent using the phone that much, you have a defective battery and should return the phone. Thats what mine was doing. It would drop from like 90% to 50% overnight in sleep mode without me touching it. So he knew this was not right and replaced the phone. My new one works great, I get 24 hours or so off a full charge with pretty heavy use and closer to 36 hours with moderate use. I can go a full 2 days without charging if its being lightly used, just a few texts and emails. This is the performance that you should be seeing with the stock ROM.
My phone was made in Nov 08, why dont they just send us new batteries? I was thinking of calling them today. I shouldnt have to carry a charger with me to work....
Old 03-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Super Saiyan 3
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

freeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIPfreeza is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to freeza Send a message via MSN to freeza Send a message via Yahoo to freeza Send a message via Skype™ to freeza

Seriously, why isn't this a known issue with Sprint? What's different about the phones/battery manufactured after feb 09? Mine is a Dec 08 model and the battery life is horrible...
Old 03-26-2009, 05:19 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: sprint

dahray02 is keeping up the good workdahray02 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to dahray02 Send a message via Yahoo to dahray02

so wait....the problem is the battery or the phone.....u said "HTC had some major QC issues with defective batteries, especially in the models shipped before Feb 09", so if i get a battery thats made after feb 09 do i need to get a new phone as well?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:23 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

Yeah i called my local sprint store and asked about this and they said they didn't know of any issues with the battery. So either they live under a rock or they really never heard of the newer batteries being longer

Old 03-26-2009, 05:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

pastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good workpastafarian is keeping up the good work

NEVER NEVER NEVER trust any info you get from store reps! Over the years, the statement " I spoke to a store rep and he/she said..." has always been followed by semi to pure BS in these forums. I'm not accusing the OP of lying, I'm sure he/she was told this by the rep. It's just that there's something about being a retail level cell phone rep that makes one expand on the truth, or out and out lie. If there were a problem with the battery AND Sprint or HTC were going to do anything official about it, you would see postings on it here before any store rep was informed. Additionally, considering HTC's past record of dealing with severe design defects (see 6800 white spot), unless multiple TP's explode AND kill near by celebrities with shappnel, I can't see them admitting to any problem much less doing something about it.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: sprint

dahray02 is keeping up the good workdahray02 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to dahray02 Send a message via Yahoo to dahray02

i'm still confused here...if it was a battery defect...why'd u have to get a new phone??
Old 03-26-2009, 06:05 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

I've got a Feb 22nd TP and I'm using a battery from my original, october TP (release date, first manufacturing batch). I've gone through for TP's now and the battery life on them has been almost identical. My newest battery is still sitting in the packaging but I'm assuming it's going to be exactly the same. It doesn't appear any different.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch PRO baby
Carrier: ATT

xgm541 is becoming a great contributor

If you are getting 24 hours on heavy usage you must be using a 10k mah battery because that is impossible. I know your intent of this post is probably to inform people that there might be a better option out there, but from experience, it doesnt exist.
You will not get good battery life from a smart phone, let alone one such as the TP. To the OP.. please do not exaggerate your battery life. Why do I ask this? Because if people see your post about abnormal 24 hour heavy usage battery life, it brings lots of useless topics asking "why do i only get 12?".

With my TP i have 24 hour battery life with light usage, with what I would consider heavy (texting, listening to internet radio, GPS on, browsing the web, etc), i get around 6 hours. Before I had the TP, i used to use a Tmobile sidekick. That phone has EDGE, and a 1540mah battery. The sidekick is barely able to browse the web, has crappy IMing built in, and thats about it. The power needed to run EDGE is like.. 3 times less than that used to run 3G? The sidekick lasted on a good day 16 hours on rather heavy usage.

My point is, with a data connection, gps, and all the other wonderful things the touch pro has, there is no reason why you SHOULD get 24 hour heavy usage battery life, when with another phone witha bigger battery, and EDGE, and generally a crappy phone, I got less.

I am only speaking from experience, but i am sure there are plenty of people who can back me up in saying that 24 hour heavy usage battery life is just bogus.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: SPRINT

orionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on reporionsbuckle is halfway to VIP status based on rep

i have two brand new batteries and a portable pocket battery charger...and that is what gets me from 9 am till 11pm and im running mighty rom 4.12 with batter tweaks...oh and thats light usage too lol...120 texts 30 minutes on the phone and checking myspace and 1 hr of music at the gym....(heavy usage would be 2 hrs on the phone 300 texts and pic mail in cluded and 1 hr of music 1 hr of Age of Empires and surfing the web)

lucky for me i sit at a desk and manage a sprint store so i can keep my phone on the charger if i need to lol..haha

HTC Mogul>HTC Touch>HTC TP>HTC Snap>Palm Pre>HTC TP2(PUKE)>HTC Hero>HTC Evo
htc... is it in ur blood?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro