PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   I can't install anything. I am a complete idiot. (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=61970)

Fat Tony 03-21-2009 08:19 PM

I can't install anything. I am a complete idiot.

I am trying to download and install files into my phone. Sounds easy, right?

I download the files into my PC just fine. Then I do one of three things and none of them work.

1) I will take the downloaded CAB and transfer it over to IE and place it in my memory card. I try to open it, nothing works.

2) I email myself the CAB. Then try to download it and it doesn't work.

3) I go to Windows Mobile thingy and go to "File Management" then find the progs (CABS) I want and try to install and nothing happens.

Please, I am willing to pay (PayPal) for a full detailed turorial on how to get these muthafrggin things installed on my phone.

Yes, I searched Google.

Yes, I searched this site.

Yes, I read the manual.

No, I can't figure it out on my own.

Yes, I did a hard reset. Lost a few progs that did work like JetWare (BT prog and not I can't install it and connect to my truck).

PLEASE HELP! I AM WILLING TO PAY!

BRIVERS73 03-21-2009 08:31 PM

Re: I can't install anything. I am a complete idiot.

What cab files are you trying to download? Are you attempting to open the files on your phone?

Looks like you've already created a thread discussing trouble with downloading, why not post this there?

steps 03-21-2009 08:35 PM

Have you tried pocket winrar? Usually folks who post cabs sometimes compress them with Winrar.

gimme5 03-21-2009 08:40 PM

click on the cab file from your phone, not from the mobile device center. Once your cab file is on your phone, you don't need to be touching anything on your PC anymore.

edit: Maybe this will help: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWgsxvkE2f8

eenieMINI 03-21-2009 08:48 PM

As gimme said, also be sure your phone is disconnected from the PC when you're clicking on the file. Second... if you're downloading via emial be sure to hold/click on the "attached" file in the email app (use stylus) and 'save" the file before trying to open it.. it will not open from email window.

Fat Tony 03-21-2009 09:26 PM

Here is what I do, step by step.

I find and download a CAB, make sure it's on my PC. I save it to a folder on my desktop names CABS. I right click the CAB that I want to transfer/download and COPY it.

Once the CAB is DL'd, I then go to my computer and find my Touch Pro (which I have affectionly nicknamed Touch MOFO). I paste the CAB file into a folder into my Touch MOFO. I made a new folder named CABS because I am mental and I will forget where I put them.

THEN! I disconnect the phone (device duh) from the PC. Restart it just to make sure everything is copastetic. Then once it starts, go to START, PROGRAMS and then FILE MANAGER. I then go to my created folder CABS. BAM! I see all my cabs. I click them and NOTHING HAPPENS!

What cabs am I installing? Here is the list, a few worked but most (the ones that I really wanted didn't).

BadBoy 8813 FULL (installed, but can't find the settings for it)
Jet BlueTooth (this worked, thank God, now it works with my BT navis)
Mighty Mike History & Calander (installed, but can't find settings)
S2U2 installed and worked perfectly
Tethering Cab (got it from here, installed, but can't find it or settings for it or anything)
Torch Button (of all things to work flawlessly, this was it)
Touch pro Audio Fix (both) can't install

I'd DL a hundred others, but if I can't do this simple crap then I am going to one of those old people phones with the big numbers and only makes phone calls and voice mail.

AAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Fat Tony 03-21-2009 09:31 PM

Just so y'all know. Once I install the CAB onto the phone, I disconnect the phone from the PC. Restart, then try to install the CAB from the PHONE ONLY, not using anything else.

Just tried to install "WMWifiRouter.0.91" and it DL'd fine. Then in copied fine to my Touch MOFO, then when I try to unpack/install it, it says "There is no application associated with ......" Please help.

darren.wlsn1 03-21-2009 09:35 PM

some of the cabs listed you wont see anything, they just work and theres nothing to do after you install so no settings.

gimme5 03-21-2009 09:40 PM

Not every cab installs a program. Some cabs just make it easier to apply registry settings for example. For those, you won't have any options to mess with.

Fat Tony 03-21-2009 09:48 PM

OK, so with the tethering prog, I don't have to do anything? I can just hook up to the laptop and surf away? Doesn't seem right.

What is the best tethering cab/way?