PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Electronics Behaving Badly (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=61847)

lionspride 03-20-2009 06:38 PM

Electronics Behaving Badly

I have a Touch pro on mighty rom 4.13 and mid-day yesterday i noticed the backlight setting were off a bit so i tried to adjust them, it wouldnt dim at all, then i noticed that if i take the battery out and put it back in the back light comes on without me having powered the phone on. Now it wont soft reset manually. Any clue as to whats going on?
:violent2:
Also backlight apps have no effect what so ever, and it doesnt turn off when i hit the power button to lock it, the screen goes off like i cant see the manila, but i cant see that the light is on its just black
*No water damage never dropped, ive changed the rom since this happened like 7 times the light doesnt go off when i push the power button either to lock it

falzon03 03-20-2009 06:56 PM

Re: Electronics Behaving Badly

water damage?....or have you dropped it?...otherwise....try backing up and reflashing the rom

lionspride 03-20-2009 07:02 PM

No water damage never dropped, ive changed the rom since this happened like 7 times the light doesnt go off when i push the power button either to lock it

gator352 03-20-2009 08:48 PM

ya know, just about every..."my touch pro does this, and it does that", usually starts or ends with "I'm on mighty rom", or "I use juicy rom". I don't get it.....I'll stick with my stock rom...since day one....no prob at all.

rstoyguy 03-20-2009 08:50 PM

All them new drivers not designed for that device maybee??

hibby50 03-20-2009 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gator352 (Post 786555)
ya know, just about every..."my touch pro does this, and it does that", usually starts or ends with "I'm on mighty rom", or "I use juicy rom". I don't get it.....I'll stick with my stock rom...since day one....no prob at all.

Because most people run those roms :D

jason25 03-20-2009 09:08 PM

mine has done that also. Soft reset usually takes care of it. It's as annoying as the lights for the buttons staying on when you hit the power button.

gator352 03-21-2009 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hibby50 (Post 786562)
Because most people run those roms :D

I know and that's my point. About 90% of the problems reported on here about the TP are custom rom users. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing custom anything, but I think it's more than just a coincidence. I read ALOT on here that after they flash a new rom, they state all sorts of problems and wonder if they should take back and/or bash the TP because it's defective. Nobody stops to think that maybe, just maybe, there's something in those custom roms, for some ungodly reason, that the TP just doesn't like causing all sorts of glitches and hardware failures.

I have the TP, my father has the Diamond (AT&T), 2 co-workers have the TP and a friend has the diamond and all are running stock roms. I/we have experienced none of these problems reported by custom rom users except for the "normal" windblows hiccups it produces. I'm sure custom roms have their advantages to some people but from what I read, outside the box, more custom users have many, many more problems with their software and hardware than stock users. I guess I get tired of reading (not in this OP's case) that..."I've had the tp for 2 months and use mighty rom x.xx. Now my keyboard and touch screen is acting all screwy! Well, I'm taking it back to sprint cause the TP sucks" sort of thing. Ya know? And then you ask them, well, have you tried reverting back to stock to see if you can reproduce the problem? They say no, but every custom rom they've tried has some sort of negative affect, so it's defective. Let's put it this way,.....you buy a custom T-shirt with a custom logo you designed, your friend has one similar but he bought his at say, target. After 5 washes, his is still perfect but yours is peeling and fading. Why? you ask! Well, his was mass produced, designed a specific way to last and hold up for a while under certain conditions. Yours on the other hand was a 1 time make, slapped together and pressed. It's the same analogy for our TP's. They are literally designed for specific functions and use, and when changed, uncertain problems mount because it wasn't designed that way.

Sorry for ranting!!! I think the custom rom community is a great thing, and if I had a 2nd TP, I would experiment like a mofo, but I don't have that luxury...or money...

gator352 03-21-2009 10:17 AM

Also figure this....

When something is designed (hardware), they designate it REV. A on the PCB and design software for that particular hardware for it to run correctly. They produce the first batch, say 100,000 and ship it. But while in manufacturing, they say, if we do this change (software and hardware) we can cut manufacturing costs by 5%. So, the next batch they produce will be designated REV. B on the PCB. It might be a slight change but a change that, you the consumer, will never know.

HTC designes a base model phone for the carriers and each are different. The carriers come up with software and hardware changes they want to make it exclusive and HTC has to accomodate. So HTC slaps on winblows 6.1, the carriers software, and HTC's software and tweak it in winblows and such for each individual carrier's phone to make it run correctly with all hardware and software together by nature. So Sprints TP is NOT manufactured exactly like AT&T's even though they might have the same hardware and similar features in software.

With that said....HTC rolls out REV. A of say, Sprint's TP, AT&T's TP, etc., and they extract the rom from each and cook a new one. People flash it and HEY!!! they work great!! But HTC in the next batch, rolls out REV. B (exactly the the same to you and I but different say, they decided to drop the mA's for the keyboard from 7 to 5) and made the correct hardware and software changes for this to happen. So Joe buys a new TP today (it has REV, B pcb) and flashes a new rom on it (rom extracted from a REV. A TP). Since the new TP's original changed code tells it to draw only 5 mA's, the new rom he flashed tell's it to draw 7 mA's. Since it was an actual change in hardware (and software), what do you think is going to happen? Over a period of time, it's going to say I had enough and quit working. The same goes for all the hardware on the phone including screen, buttons, etc.

There are ALWAYS changes to hardware (especially electronic) throughout the life span of a particular item either for manufacturing cost purposes, performance, or defective parts failing. Your TP might be ever so slightlty different than your friends TP. That is something you will never know unless you have the technical documents in hand of the changes made. So what 1 rom might work great on your friends TP might blow up the screen on yours.

These are soley my views and thoughts and not anyone elses.The numbers I used were for reference only and in no way accurate. WOOHOO, I love you guys!!

littlefreak 03-22-2009 07:44 PM

Gator is 1000% correct. I am a software engineer student (senior graduating in 2months woot!) at Embry Riddle Aeronautical School (look it up if you dont beleive its one of the best SE schools in the states) and the ciriculum consintrates on Emedded Systems which is eactly what these cell phones are. The professionals make their software to directly co inside with the hardware... Thats why they call it firmware and not an Operating System. Windows is one small part of the firmware theres alot of other things there. Start cutting corners you get burned. Where do you think this extra speed in these roms comes from???? They turn stuff off... The professionals decided that it is better for the common good to leave these things on.

Custom roms are cool and all. Fun to play with and fun to get things ahead of schedule (windows 6.5) but these problems do occur. Don't think that any rom made by 1 guy in his free time is better then a rom made by 10 - 20 professionals who helped build the hardward the rom is running on. Thats the facts.... Sorry...

Customs roms were awesome for the mogul cuz the thing was so weak and the stock roms had some minor flaws (no GPS)... But for the TP it is very powerful it has excelent profermance and the stock rom is very well done. The only serious problem is the battery life... So flash your radio and turn on the power save registrys... Done!