PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices



Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 AM
rsohne's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy
Carrier: AT&T
Location: Sanford,Fl
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 86
Reputation: 30
rsohne is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HELP My phone battery discharges real fast!

I had just gotten a replacement phone from VZW last Friday and have been having some bad battery discharge problems. I was running the last Bored kitchen which I had no problems with other than fast battery drain. I go from 100% to 40% in 4 1/2 hours in standby and it has basically made the phone worthless. With the the Bored rom and checking discharge on the NuePower util I am at 175ma discharge. I have gone back to the Stock rom and discharge is the same. My question is whats a normal draw for the TP and if mine is excessive what could the problem be? My old pro wasn't stellar with battery but at least I could get through the day. Anyone here knowledgeable with this type of stuff?
__________________
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2009, 08:50 AM
jucytec's Avatar
Regular 'Geeker
Offline
Pocket PC: 6850 Gimped Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wirelessness
Location: Princeton
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 438
Reputation: 1220
jucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HELP My phone battery discharges real fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsohne View Post
I had just gotten a replacement phone from VZW last Friday and have been having some bad battery discharge problems. I was running the last Bored kitchen which I had no problems with other than fast battery drain. I go from 100% to 40% in 4 1/2 hours in standby and it has basically made the phone worthless. With the the Bored rom and checking discharge on the NuePower util I am at 175ma discharge. I have gone back to the Stock rom and discharge is the same. My question is whats a normal draw for the TP and if mine is excessive what could the problem be? My old pro wasn't stellar with battery but at least I could get through the day. Anyone here knowledgeable with this type of stuff?
175 sounds about right,

turn off WIFI/Bluetooth when not using, Once the screen dims you should be down to 90mA discharge...

anything data/phone related will draw 450mA or more during that duration.
__________________
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2009, 09:39 AM
MojoRisen's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 120
Reputation: 740
MojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HELP My phone battery discharges real fast!

And make sure you have "Receive all incoming beams" turned off too. I noticed a substantial difference in battery life after turning this off. (Start-Settings-Connections-Beams (if you needed it)).
This post has been thanked 4 times.
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 AM
dschoenike's Avatar
Give him the KICK!!!
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC EVO w/TP as a Back Up
Carrier: sprint
Location: south milwaukee WI
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,520
Reputation: 4455
dschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HELP My phone battery discharges real fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisen View Post
And make sure you have "Receive all incoming beams" turned off too. I noticed a substantial difference in battery life after turning this off. (Start-Settings-Connections-Beams (if you needed it)).
Thanks for that reminder. i completely forgot about that. why on earth is the TP 's default setting set to receive all incoming beams when we dont even have an IR port? weird. Thanks again
dschoenike
__________________
INCEPTION - A film by Christopher Nolan. July 16 2010



  #5 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2009, 10:18 AM
scrosler's Avatar
VIP Member
Offline
Pocket PC: EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint
Location: Fargo ND
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,114
Reputation: 20875
scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HELP My phone battery discharges real fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsohne View Post
I had just gotten a replacement phone from VZW last Friday and have been having some bad battery discharge problems. I was running the last Bored kitchen which I had no problems with other than fast battery drain. I go from 100% to 40% in 4 1/2 hours in standby and it has basically made the phone worthless. With the the Bored rom and checking discharge on the NuePower util I am at 175ma discharge. I have gone back to the Stock rom and discharge is the same. My question is whats a normal draw for the TP and if mine is excessive what could the problem be? My old pro wasn't stellar with battery but at least I could get through the day. Anyone here knowledgeable with this type of stuff?
IM not so sure about the specific current draw but I can tell you this...

Not all VZW Pro's are created equal, and there batteries are created even less equal.

Case in point: Both me and my buddy go out and grab two brand new pro's from VZW. Using them for a week. All is well.

We regroup and look at our phones the following weekend. His batter lasts 6 hours... NO, JUST SIX HOURS!

Mine last nearly 48.


Why?

I proplery cared for my battery while it was in its infant stage.

He didint.



IM goin gto hazzard a guess... and its just a guess.... I bet you rplug your phone in and let it charge even though the batter is not 100% dead? Can you confirm? Thats what my buddy was doing.


With these phones you need to let them DIE completely before even considering chargin it again. Atleast for the first two weeks.

If you follow that schedule charge 100% immediately remove and start discharging 100% your batter will last a long long time.

I even reconditioned my buddies battery doing that. Took me a week but I doubled the life back to 12 hours for him. He hosed it thogh. Constantly plugging it in and unplugging it. Constantly. Destroys batter EVERY time. Doesnt matter the phone. LI-ON technologie is the same regardless.
__________________


Donations always accepted but never expected!

Last edited by scrosler; 03-20-2009 at 10:22 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2009, 12:09 PM
rsohne's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter
Location: Sanford,Fl
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 86
Reputation: 30
rsohne is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HELP My phone battery discharges real fast!

Scrosler

That is exactly what I do with my battery but the odd thing is I never had this problem with my old phone. Its the same battery I had with my old phone. Verizon only replaced the phone.Beams are turned off. I tried going back to your rom which gave me excellent battery life on my old phone. Now it eats up the battery with Bored,Scrosler roms. I even tried a couple of the other radios. I don't get it.

There is sheet that came with the phone that shows the test they ran with it. There are 3 lines that say " Measurement integrity value indicates results are questionable: Over Range"

Also have turned off the phone, data connections and power draw remains at 175 - 225ma.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2009, 12:11 PM
MojoRisen's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Location: NC
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 120
Reputation: 740
MojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HELP My phone battery discharges real fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
IM not so sure about the specific current draw but I can tell you this...

Not all VZW Pro's are created equal, and there batteries are created even less equal.

Case in point: Both me and my buddy go out and grab two brand new pro's from VZW. Using them for a week. All is well.

We regroup and look at our phones the following weekend. His batter lasts 6 hours... NO, JUST SIX HOURS!

Mine last nearly 48.


Why?

I proplery cared for my battery while it was in its infant stage.

He didint.



IM goin gto hazzard a guess... and its just a guess.... I bet you rplug your phone in and let it charge even though the batter is not 100% dead? Can you confirm? Thats what my buddy was doing.


With these phones you need to let them DIE completely before even considering chargin it again. Atleast for the first two weeks.

If you follow that schedule charge 100% immediately remove and start discharging 100% your batter will last a long long time.

I even reconditioned my buddies battery doing that. Took me a week but I doubled the life back to 12 hours for him. He hosed it thogh. Constantly plugging it in and unplugging it. Constantly. Destroys batter EVERY time. Doesnt matter the phone. LI-ON technologie is the same regardless.
An extremely awesome point here, and very true. I also prefer using a slow, steady charge on them, versus "hacking" a fast charge.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2009, 01:19 PM
rsohne's Avatar
PPCGeeks Regular
Offline
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy
Carrier: AT&T
Threadstarter
Location: Sanford,Fl
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 86
Reputation: 30
rsohne is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HELP My phone battery discharges real fast!

I am going to pick up a battery in a couple of hours and give it a shot.
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Oxymoron238's Avatar
Halfway to VIP Status
Offline
Pocket PC: HTC Trophy
Carrier: Verizon
Location: The left wing of one of Garmin's GPS Satellites
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 526
Reputation: 1150
Oxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: HELP My phone battery discharges real fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post
IM not so sure about the specific current draw but I can tell you this...

Not all VZW Pro's are created equal, and there batteries are created even less equal.

Case in point: Both me and my buddy go out and grab two brand new pro's from VZW. Using them for a week. All is well.

We regroup and look at our phones the following weekend. His batter lasts 6 hours... NO, JUST SIX HOURS!

Mine last nearly 48.


Why?

I proplery cared for my battery while it was in its infant stage.

He didint.



IM goin gto hazzard a guess... and its just a guess.... I bet you rplug your phone in and let it charge even though the batter is not 100% dead? Can you confirm? Thats what my buddy was doing.


With these phones you need to let them DIE completely before even considering chargin it again. Atleast for the first two weeks.

If you follow that schedule charge 100% immediately remove and start discharging 100% your batter will last a long long time.

I even reconditioned my buddies battery doing that. Took me a week but I doubled the life back to 12 hours for him. He hosed it thogh. Constantly plugging it in and unplugging it. Constantly. Destroys batter EVERY time. Doesnt matter the phone. LI-ON technologie is the same regardless.
I've heard people say otherwise on this... sometimes they say not to let the battery die, and they posted some evidence from other websites to prove it. They say that letting the battery die 100% before charging was called deep-cycling or something like that (I wish I remembered where that post was).

Anyway, I'm not saying that your advise is wrong, because I don't let my battery die 100% before charging, and sometimes I can barely make it through the day with my Seidio extended battery AND Juggalo's rom, AND the Telus radio upgrade AND other reg tweaks. So yeah, you could be right. That might be your answer OP.

Btw, if you start discharging and charging at 100% even though the battery is not new anymore, will that help its life?
__________________
Got Windows Phone 7. Love Windows Phone 7.

Last edited by Oxymoron238; 03-20-2009 at 02:31 PM.
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 03-20-2009, 02:37 PM
TweetyBear's Avatar
Tweety...Bear (chick)
Offline
Pocket PC: EVO
Carrier: Sprint
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,624
Reputation: 1585
TweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to TweetyBear Send a message via Yahoo to TweetyBear
Re: HELP My phone battery discharges real fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymoron238 View Post
I've heard people say otherwise on this... sometimes they say not to let the battery die, and they posted some evidence from other websites to prove it. They say that letting the battery die 100% before charging was called deep-cycling or something like that (I wish I remembered where that post was).

Anyway, I'm not saying that your advise is wrong, because I don't let my battery die 100% before charging, and sometimes I can barely make it through the day with my Seidio extended battery AND Juggalo's rom, AND the Telus radio upgrade AND other reg tweaks. So yeah, you could be right. That might be your answer OP.

Btw, if you start discharging and charging at 100% even though the battery is not new anymore, will that help its life?
this may be what you're looking for.

per wiki:
Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life
  • Like many rechargeable batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%60%
  • Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled"), but this may be necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any electronic charge monitor (e.g. a battery meter). This allows the monitoring electronics to more accurately estimate battery charge.[25]
  • Li-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4 V to 3.0 V per cell.
  • Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.
  • Li-ion batteries should not be frozen [43] (most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately −40 C; however, this is much colder than the lowest temperature reached by household freezers).
  • Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.[25]
  • When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, consider removing the battery[44] and storing it in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.
__________________

This post has been thanked 3 times.
Closed Thread

  PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
©2012 - PPCGeeks.com