PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 08:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy
Carrier: AT&T

rsohne is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
HELP My phone battery discharges real fast!

I had just gotten a replacement phone from VZW last Friday and have been having some bad battery discharge problems. I was running the last Bored kitchen which I had no problems with other than fast battery drain. I go from 100% to 40% in 4 1/2 hours in standby and it has basically made the phone worthless. With the the Bored rom and checking discharge on the NuePower util I am at 175ma discharge. I have gone back to the Stock rom and discharge is the same. My question is whats a normal draw for the TP and if mine is excessive what could the problem be? My old pro wasn't stellar with battery but at least I could get through the day. Anyone here knowledgeable with this type of stuff?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: 6850 Gimped Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wirelessness

jucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on repjucytec is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: HELP My phone battery discharges real fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsohne View Post
I had just gotten a replacement phone from VZW last Friday and have been having some bad battery discharge problems. I was running the last Bored kitchen which I had no problems with other than fast battery drain. I go from 100% to 40% in 4 1/2 hours in standby and it has basically made the phone worthless. With the the Bored rom and checking discharge on the NuePower util I am at 175ma discharge. I have gone back to the Stock rom and discharge is the same. My question is whats a normal draw for the TP and if mine is excessive what could the problem be? My old pro wasn't stellar with battery but at least I could get through the day. Anyone here knowledgeable with this type of stuff?
175 sounds about right,

turn off WIFI/Bluetooth when not using, Once the screen dims you should be down to 90mA discharge...

anything data/phone related will draw 450mA or more during that duration.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

MojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuff

And make sure you have "Receive all incoming beams" turned off too. I noticed a substantial difference in battery life after turning this off. (Start-Settings-Connections-Beams (if you needed it)).
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:17 AM
Give him the KICK!!!
Pocket PC: HTC EVO w/TP as a Back Up
Carrier: sprint

dschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributionsdschoenike should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRisen View Post
And make sure you have "Receive all incoming beams" turned off too. I noticed a substantial difference in battery life after turning this off. (Start-Settings-Connections-Beams (if you needed it)).
Thanks for that reminder. i completely forgot about that. why on earth is the TP 's default setting set to receive all incoming beams when we dont even have an IR port? weird. Thanks again
dschoenike

Old 03-20-2009, 10:18 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

scrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation levelscrosler can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsohne View Post
IM not so sure about the specific current draw but I can tell you this...

Not all VZW Pro's are created equal, and there batteries are created even less equal.

Case in point: Both me and my buddy go out and grab two brand new pro's from VZW. Using them for a week. All is well.

We regroup and look at our phones the following weekend. His batter lasts 6 hours... NO, JUST SIX HOURS!

Mine last nearly 48.

Why?

I proplery cared for my battery while it was in its infant stage.

He didint.

IM goin gto hazzard a guess... and its just a guess.... I bet you rplug your phone in and let it charge even though the batter is not 100% dead? Can you confirm? Thats what my buddy was doing.

With these phones you need to let them DIE completely before even considering chargin it again. Atleast for the first two weeks.

If you follow that schedule charge 100% immediately remove and start discharging 100% your batter will last a long long time.

I even reconditioned my buddies battery doing that. Took me a week but I doubled the life back to 12 hours for him. He hosed it thogh. Constantly plugging it in and unplugging it. Constantly. Destroys batter EVERY time. Doesnt matter the phone. LI-ON technologie is the same regardless.

Donations always accepted but never expected!

Last edited by scrosler; 03-20-2009 at 10:22 AM.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Scrosler

That is exactly what I do with my battery but the odd thing is I never had this problem with my old phone. Its the same battery I had with my old phone. Verizon only replaced the phone.Beams are turned off. I tried going back to your rom which gave me excellent battery life on my old phone. Now it eats up the battery with Bored,Scrosler roms. I even tried a couple of the other radios. I don't get it.

There is sheet that came with the phone that shows the test they ran with it. There are 3 lines that say " Measurement integrity value indicates results are questionable: Over Range"

Also have turned off the phone, data connections and power draw remains at 175 - 225ma.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

MojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post

Not all VZW Pro's are created equal, and there batteries are created even less equal.

Case in point: Both me and my buddy go out and grab two brand new pro's from VZW. Using them for a week. All is well.

We regroup and look at our phones the following weekend. His batter lasts 6 hours... NO, JUST SIX HOURS!

Mine last nearly 48.

Why?

He didint.

IM goin gto hazzard a guess... and its just a guess.... I bet you rplug your phone in and let it charge even though the batter is not 100% dead? Can you confirm? Thats what my buddy was doing.

With these phones you need to let them DIE completely before even considering chargin it again. Atleast for the first two weeks.

If you follow that schedule charge 100% immediately remove and start discharging 100% your batter will last a long long time.

I even reconditioned my buddies battery doing that. Took me a week but I doubled the life back to 12 hours for him. He hosed it thogh. Constantly plugging it in and unplugging it. Constantly. Destroys batter EVERY time. Doesnt matter the phone. LI-ON technologie is the same regardless.
An extremely awesome point here, and very true. I also prefer using a slow, steady charge on them, versus "hacking" a fast charge.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I am going to pick up a battery in a couple of hours and give it a shot.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Trophy
Carrier: Verizon

Oxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on repOxymoron238 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrosler View Post

Mine last nearly 48.

Why?

He didint.

I've heard people say otherwise on this... sometimes they say not to let the battery die, and they posted some evidence from other websites to prove it. They say that letting the battery die 100% before charging was called deep-cycling or something like that (I wish I remembered where that post was).

Anyway, I'm not saying that your advise is wrong, because I don't let my battery die 100% before charging, and sometimes I can barely make it through the day with my Seidio extended battery AND Juggalo's rom, AND the Telus radio upgrade AND other reg tweaks. So yeah, you could be right. That might be your answer OP.

Btw, if you start discharging and charging at 100% even though the battery is not new anymore, will that help its life?

Last edited by Oxymoron238; 03-20-2009 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:37 PM
Tweety...Bear (chick)
Pocket PC: EVO

TweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on repTweetyBear is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to TweetyBear Send a message via Yahoo to TweetyBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymoron238 View Post
I've heard people say otherwise on this... sometimes they say not to let the battery die, and they posted some evidence from other websites to prove it. They say that letting the battery die 100% before charging was called deep-cycling or something like that (I wish I remembered where that post was).

Anyway, I'm not saying that your advise is wrong, because I don't let my battery die 100% before charging, and sometimes I can barely make it through the day with my Seidio extended battery AND Juggalo's rom, AND the Telus radio upgrade AND other reg tweaks. So yeah, you could be right. That might be your answer OP.

Btw, if you start discharging and charging at 100% even though the battery is not new anymore, will that help its life?
this may be what you're looking for.

per wiki:
Guidelines for prolonging Li-ion battery life
  • Like many rechargeable batteries, lithium-ion batteries should be charged early and often. However, if they are not used for a long time, they should be brought to a charge level of around 40%–60%
  • Lithium-ion batteries should not be frequently fully discharged and recharged ("deep-cycled"), but this may be necessary after about every 30th recharge to recalibrate any electronic charge monitor (e.g. a battery meter). This allows the monitoring electronics to more accurately estimate battery charge.[25]
  • Li-ion batteries should never be depleted to below their minimum voltage, 2.4 V to 3.0 V per cell.
  • Li-ion batteries should be kept cool. Ideally they are stored in a refrigerator. Aging will take its toll much faster at high temperatures. The high temperatures found in cars cause lithium-ion batteries to degrade rapidly.
  • Li-ion batteries should not be frozen [43] (most lithium-ion battery electrolytes freeze at approximately −40 °C; however, this is much colder than the lowest temperature reached by household freezers).
  • Li-ion batteries should be bought only when needed, because the aging process begins as soon as the battery is manufactured.[25]
  • When using a notebook computer running from fixed line power over extended periods, consider removing the battery[44] and storing it in a cool place so that it is not affected by the heat produced by the computer.

This post has been thanked 3 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro