PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Take the touch pro underwater for a swim? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=61686)

tahlsr 03-19-2009 01:20 PM

Take the touch pro underwater for a swim?

Hey gang,
Was looking for some help. I know we all love to do nifty things with our Touch Pros.
I was wondering if anyone has taken one for a swim.
I certainly can invest in a standalone underwater mp3 player made for swimming but I'd much rather bring my baby for the ride.

So far with my own searching I've seen waterproof cases but that's about it.
I was hoping to either find:
1.) a swimming 'kit' including a case and headphones etc... or
2.) a bluetooth headset that can work underwater (do these exist)? That way I could just get the case and the headset and be ready to rock.

Thoughts? Ideas? Am I crazy?

MoonZ*BabysH 03-19-2009 01:30 PM

Re: Take the touch pro underwater for a swim?

start here http://store.thewaterproofstore.com/...FSQhDQodzEHCIg

Darkjedi 03-19-2009 01:30 PM

hahah, you're going to need specialized sound-isolating earbuds to be able to use headphones underwater, which bluetooths typically aren't. There should be clear waterproof ziploc-type bags that are made especially to keep electronics dry in water, but no room to be able to pull a headphone wire through and still have it remain waterproof.

something similar to this
http://www.landfallnavigation.com/aquapaccases.html

if you're going to be swimming in the ocean, seawater is incredibly corrosive and will damage the headphone contacts very fast.

//nice moonzbabysh has a much better site, the waterproof mp3 case looks good as long as you get a extUSB to 3.5 converter

boredandtattooed 03-19-2009 02:11 PM

it really depends on your swimming i guess... i go surfing several times a yr out in CA and FL.. i just went 2 weeks ago... i wear a thin divers wet suit(the ones with the hood).. i totally have my phone on hip everytime.. well basically its just stick in there, not actualy attached to anything lol .. but i have my headset in.. hell i answer calls while im on 10ft waves.. did it tons of times with my mogul.. my TP just got its wave hoppin cherry popped lol

if you got a waterproof case and a swimmers cap you could def pull this off.. as far as bluetooth, does that work under water? i mean would the signal actually travel between to points?

tahlsr 03-19-2009 04:51 PM

Thanks for all the help. My brother may actually by some ipod one cause it's built for it. I almost S**t myself. Just picturing him installing itunes on a computer to transfer music literally is giving me nightmares. Please someone....
Help with a good solution.
And I have no clue how well bluetooth works underwater. I would love to find out though.

Mr. Boredandtatooed, I'm a little confused. Are you simply saying you keep your device under your wetsuit and it stays dry?

boredandtattooed 03-19-2009 05:38 PM

yes thats exactly what im saying...wet suits are watertight... same as the swimmers cap idea i gave ya.. watch a competetive swimmer get out of the water, their hair is only wet due to sweat..

HBOOT 03-19-2009 09:27 PM

This is cool people, some pix will make it even better..stay dry:mrgreen:

breakmyfootoff 03-19-2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boredandtattooed (Post 783712)
yes thats exactly what im saying...wet suits are watertight... same as the swimmers cap idea i gave ya.. watch a competetive swimmer get out of the water, their hair is only wet due to sweat..

Maybe they make a different kind of "wetsuit" for surfing that I'm not familiar with, but wetsuits designed for scuba diving are most definitely not water proof, they allow water to get in but keep it from escaping and your body heats that water which then insulates you and keeps you warmer. If you put your phone inside a regular wetsuit it will most definitely get wet.

Darkjedi 03-20-2009 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by breakmyfootoff (Post 784280)
Maybe they make a different kind of "wetsuit" for surfing that I'm not familiar with, but wetsuits designed for scuba diving are most definitely not water proof, they allow water to get in but keep it from escaping and your body heats that water which then insulates you and keeps you warmer. If you put your phone inside a regular wetsuit it will most definitely get wet.

Yea, the wetsuits I've used specifically let some water in, but still kept you insulated. This was swimming in like 50-60F (10-12C) degree waters too. Couldn't feel it except in my hands which didn't have gloves, warm everywhere else, but felt like my fingers were falling off. The wetsuits I've used were also skin tight, so I wouldn't know how you could fit a phone against you're body without it being very uncomfortable.

MojoRisen 03-20-2009 12:21 PM

I've often wanted to send/receive phone calls while scuba diving... :lol: