PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Black_Death is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cool Using GPS without Cell Service?

I am going to Thailand and Cambodia for a few weeks in May and I think it would be pretty nice to be able to use GPS while there. Unfortunately the normal programs I use (Google Maps and MS Live) don't allow me to download map data, so if I do not have data service it will not show me the map. Do you guys know of a way I can download the maps for use offline? Are there other software options that will do what I want? All I want is something like Google Earth that works while not connected to the internet. If it could show me restaurants and stuff as well that would be perfect.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro, iPhone 3Gs
Carrier: Sprint, T-mobile

mkmkmk13 is just getting started
Re: Using GPS without Cell Service?

u need a program like tomtom or igo, they come with maps
or u can always use wifi

i heard once that there is a program that downloads google maps for offline use but i am not sure

Old 03-18-2009, 11:32 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I heard stuff about how the GPS is locked to within North American limits, meaning it won't acquire locks if you're outside of the country. I'm not positive, but this is supposedly a limitation of the GPS chip itself, not the lacking of the cell service.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:35 AM
The GrooGrux King
Pocket PC: HTC Evo

MadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on repMadlyAlive is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to MadlyAlive

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
I heard stuff about how the GPS is locked to within North American limits, meaning it won't acquire locks if you're outside of the country. I'm not positive, but this is supposedly a limitation of the GPS chip itself, not the lacking of the cell service.
It's locked in N.A. or the US? You said N.A. but said country...

I can confirm it works outside of the U.S. as I used in in Acapulco last November.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:44 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch PRO

Yankees368 is becoming a great contributor

From what i heard, it will work anywhere, but without the cell network, it will take ages to lock onto any satellites.
Old 03-18-2009, 11:49 AM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadlyAlive View Post
It's locked in N.A. or the US? You said N.A. but said country...

I can confirm it works outside of the U.S. as I used in in Acapulco last November.
I meant continent then, hahah. Anyway I'm not completely sure, I just hear that it probably doesn't work in Europe and the sort.

//this is the link I read a while back

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...outside+states

Its the Vogue, but I assume we all have similar gpsOne chips in our phones.

There are some reports that it works outside the US, but they don't mention where, so I'm not sure how exactly the chip works outside NA

Last edited by Darkjedi; 03-18-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:53 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC T7380

Mutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuffMutiny32 knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Mutiny32 Send a message via AIM to Mutiny32 Send a message via MSN to Mutiny32 Send a message via Skype™ to Mutiny32

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
I meant continent then, hahah. Anyway I'm not completely sure, I just hear that it probably doesn't work in Europe and the sort.

//this is the link I read a while back

Its the Vogue, but I assume we all have similar gpsOne chips in our phones.

There are some reports that it works outside the US, but they don't mention where, so I'm not sure how exactly the chip works outside NA

Of course the gpsOne chipset works outside of the US. HTC uses it on all their recent phones.

The possibility of a kill-switch is a valid point though. HTC could have built it into the software somewhere, but I doubt they would.

As for actual functioning of the GPS, if you have it set to mode 4 in the registry (That's assisted + phone GPS), it shuold work. Actually, I think only one mode won't work. I think it's 2, but I don't remember off the top of my head. The GPS mode is set in all CDMA carriers by default to attempt aGPS fixes. All that means is that the phone uses a server on the cell network to help it get a quicker lock for GPS satellites.

One helpful thing that Sprint did was include a program called QuickGPS, which is essentially a poor-man's aGPS. It connects to the QuickGPS servers by any means possible (hint: when you get to where you're going, find a WiFi hotspot and manually update QuickGPS) and the servers attempt a rough geo-location for your public IP address and kind of gives the phone's GPS daemon a hint at where the satellites might be. This is exactly how my TomTom does it to get quicker GPS locks.

So in short; yes, you will probably be able to use your phone for GPS outside the US, but you will, as people have already said, have to use a GPS program like TomTom with pre-loaded maps.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro

katrinka is a n00b

I just returned from Australia & New Zealand. The gps worked great.

I used the igo software.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:10 PM
VW
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

VW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVW is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

A software package like tracky will allow you to download scanned maps or the equivalent to use offline, as long as you calibrate it
Old 03-18-2009, 04:51 PM
rdm
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro, Treo Pro

rdm is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees368 View Post
From what i heard, it will work anywhere, but without the cell network, it will take ages to lock onto any satellites.
Took me about 5 minutes on my first lock in Malta, after that abut one or two minutes.
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro