PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2009, 02:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

x99percent is keeping up the good workx99percent is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How to hard reset WITHOUT using the stylus, reset button, or the "clear storage" app.

WARNING:

Paraphrased from the user guide:
Quote:
If "encrypt files when placed on a storage card" is enabled, back up all files from the microSD card before using Clear Storage, hard reset, or updating the ROM system software. Otherwise, you will no longer be able to access the encrypted files on the microSD card after you hard reset and/or reflash. Use ActiveSync or Windows Mobile Device Center to transfer files between your microSD card and computer. After the reset/reflash procedure, copy those files back to the microSD card.

PREPARE:

1 - With the phone ON and running, hold down the power button.
2 - You should get a message box asking if you really want to turn off the phone. Click "Yes".
3 - At this point, your phone is completely powered down.
3a - If you are unable to get to this point, just yank the battery and reinstall it WITHOUT turning the phone back on.

THE RESET:

4 - Hold down the "Volume Down" and "Center" buttons. Do NOT let go.
5 - Hold down the power button. WAIT.
6 - You should now see the hard reset dialog, "This operation will delete all of your personal data...".
7 - You can now let go of the three buttons.
8 - Press "Volume Up" if you wish to reset, or something else to abort.

Enjoy!

Last edited by x99percent; 03-20-2009 at 03:07 PM.
This post has been thanked 8 times.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

bubbatex is a n00b
Re: How to hard reset WITHOUT using the stylus, reset button, or the "clear storage"

It's in the manual.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:02 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: How to hard reset WITHOUT using the stylus, reset button, or the "clear storage"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatex View Post
It's in the manual.
Surprisingly a lot of people still can't hard reset their device. There are many posts where people say they can't hard reset the device. I know I had trouble until I manually took out the battery and put it back it and then tried the button combos.

That said I also never read the manual, hahah. I've used 2 different WM devices before this and I figured most of that stuff I already knew.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro

bubbatex is a n00b

I don't read mine either - until I want to do something specific like a hard reset. anyway - it's a free forum.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Threadstarter

x99percent is keeping up the good workx99percent is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
Surprisingly a lot of people still can't hard reset their device. There are many posts where people say they can't hard reset the device.
...and this is EXACTLY why I made this post.

I figured that I would make a post using very clear and concise instructions so that anyone who searches for "hard reset" would be able to get the job done quickly and easily, and without resorting to any creative hand contortions that are necessary to reset with the stylus (even though I have no problem with that one, either).
Old 03-16-2009, 04:08 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

what page does it say that in the manual?

i MUST have skipped it when i was searching for it. thanks

Make sure you donate to those who spend countless hours improving your PPC/android experience!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

MojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoBSD View Post
what page does it say that in the manual?

i MUST have skipped it when i was searching for it. thanks
Of COURSE I can't find my book when I need it, but I believe it's either page 86 or 88...something like that.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:41 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

RTFM
a techies favorite acronym!

I thought that the styli had to be out in order to do this procedure, this is how I hard reset my phone and have only done it with the styli out.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

MojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuffMojoRisen knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant007 View Post
RTFM
a techies favorite acronym!
HAHA! Yes, it is. And the fav question of "Did you reboot yet?"
Old 03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

oh shoot, i'm Mr RTFM hahaha

But i don't recall having seen how to hard reset with hardware, only software. I will look when i get home. Thanks!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro