PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 01:36 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint

stapler101 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
why limited number of apps

I know nothing about what it takes to "write an app" but I do wonder why there are so few apps for the touch pro vs. the iphone.
I am particularly interested in an app called The Pilot Library (aviation info).
Can this be duplicated for the touch pro?
It appears to me that a dedicated site (business) must exist to sell and service this type of application. The Appbeacon is a site that has the Pilot's library for example.
Does any site like this exist for the touch pro?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:41 PM
i don't miss blackberry
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S3
Carrier: Sprint PCS

ou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuffou2mame knows their stuff
Re: why limited number of apps

there's no software for the touch pro? it runs windows mobile... if there were a way to accurately gauge software availability, i would have to assume that wm has much more applications, and useful things too, not just jiggling boobs and flutes. i don't know what you're talking about, but have you tried google?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:46 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

stapler101 is a n00b

I googled apps for the touch pro but not apps for windows mobile. I will now do so.
A search for apps for touch pro points mostly to the type of apps (hacks) found on this great site.
Thanks for your reply and, as I said, I have not searched for windows mobile apps.
I was certainly limiting myself!
Old 03-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

jsvt3 is keeping up the good workjsvt3 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via Yahoo to jsvt3

There are a bunch of site around, http://www.freewarepocketpc.net/ is a decent one. Just gotta search a little.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch PRO baby
Carrier: ATT

xgm541 is becoming a great contributor

The big problem with windows mobile based phones is that there is such a variety of devices out there with not only different specs (Processor, RAM) but also different screen resolutions. I believe it is hard to develop applications for so many devices as well as debug them.

Microsoft will be launching a new service called windows mobile marketplace where developers will be able to sell their applications in one place and make 70% of the profit which I believe will better both the availability and functionality of windows mobile based apps.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

r1_rydah is keeping up the good workr1_rydah is keeping up the good workr1_rydah is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgm541 View Post
The big problem with windows mobile based phones is that there is such a variety of devices out there with not only different specs (Processor, RAM) but also different screen resolutions. I believe it is hard to develop applications for so many devices as well as debug them.

Microsoft will be launching a new service called windows mobile marketplace where developers will be able to sell their applications in one place and make 70% of the profit which I believe will better both the availability and functionality of windows mobile based apps.
this is long overdue for wm... there are plenty of apps available for wm, but the average joe doesn't know where to find them... apple may have a sub par device, but their itunes integration, app store, & advertising destroys the completion
Old 03-15-2009, 04:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

speck is becoming a great contributor

Is it possible to develop windows mobile apps without having to purchase visual studio? I've got a few ideas for apps I'd like to write for some specific needs I have, but $300 is a bit steep, when I can develop for other platforms for free.
Old 03-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

abrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regularabrigham is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to abrigham Send a message via Yahoo to abrigham Send a message via Skype™ to abrigham

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck View Post
Is it possible to develop windows mobile apps without having to purchase visual studio? I've got a few ideas for apps I'd like to write for some specific needs I have, but $300 is a bit steep, when I can develop for other platforms for free.
Visual Studio Express Edition. It's free (but somewhat limited)
http://www.microsoft.com/Express/
Old 03-15-2009, 07:40 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: touch pro, tp2, epic, evo x2
Carrier: D/\SH_SPEED

D/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIPD/\SH is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

we have over 4000 apps for windows mobile posted at SPJ........ you cant go wrong and they are just show off once to your friends apps and than delete.... the ones for wm are cool but more oriented for the user to make their life easier and to have everything that they need in one device.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro