PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   wm wifirouter question? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=61033)

Try619 03-13-2009 06:44 PM

wm wifirouter question?

I know this has probably been posted several times I tried looking for it but could not find anything on it, so sorry if this is a duplicate. Anyway I just bought a laptop and was wondering if with wmwifirouter is it possible to use my touch pro as a modem without being charged any other data fees. I tried going through sprint and buying one of those cards that stick on the side of your laptop but sprint wanted $60 a month plus I had to open another line I was like screw that. So if anybody could help me I say thank you.

jucytec 03-13-2009 06:53 PM

Re: wm wifirouter question?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Try619 (Post 770840)
I know this has probably been posted several times I tried looking for it but could not find anything on it, so sorry if this is a duplicate. Anyway I just bought a laptop and was wondering if with wmwifirouter is it possible to use my touch pro as a modem without being charged any other data fees. I tried going through sprint and buying one of those cards that stick on the side of your laptop but sprint wanted $60 a month plus I had to open another line I was like screw that. So if anybody could help me I say thank you.

IMHO...

wifirouter sux.. use internet sharing... it's a lot easier to use, and it does the same thing... i've downloaded couple hundred megs last month i haven't seen additional charges

Try619 03-13-2009 07:03 PM

Ok thanks i'll try internet sharing a little at a time and monitor my bill and hope I dont get charged.

gedster314 03-13-2009 07:54 PM

Once setup wmwifi works great. I love it but it sucks the battery down in no time. I usualy use it to give internet access to other people. If it's just me the stock Internet Sharing works best.

ajskhan 03-13-2009 08:01 PM

How do you set that up? Will it be free?

Maverick77 03-13-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajskhan (Post 770968)
How do you set that up? Will it be free?

You are basically setting up a ad-hoc wireless connection to your laptop. The only difference is the way the data gets to your computer, via wireless, which drains your battery, or through your USB cable. Personally I perfer using Internet Sharing via USB cable. I dont' care about going wireless.

kilmarac 03-13-2009 10:38 PM

WMWiFiRouter is great. As with anything, using the net and wifi at the same time WILL Drain the battery unless you have it plugged, charging AND keeping cool.

Using bluetooth if your laptop has it is better.

Either way the advantage is that if your USB cable is too short to get a good signal, you can use a wireless option easily.

Personally, I have had a huge problem with internet sharing in the touch pro. If I started doing anything intensive it disconnects, so I finally shelled out the $30 for the WMWIFIrouter key and have using that blissfully happy.

robby37 03-14-2009 04:40 PM

search my posts i have a guide ill post link later but it tells the regedits necessary to make sure you don't get charged unless you break cap which usually really high on these phones as they are data intensive themselves they come with youtube what do the carriers expect lol

Biker1 03-16-2009 12:13 AM

I tried the wmwifirouter trial for 21 days and it worked great. I just paid the $29.99 to continue using it as my trial period ended. I used to use Internet Sharing and all was well until one day I saw the connection setting say Phone as Modem which is not good. The connection setting always said Sprint which is good. I thought I changed some settings by accident but after checking, I could not get my connection to say Sprint anymore. I assumed that Sprint did something systemwide to inhibit using Internet Sharing without it showing Phone as Modem. This was the reason I tried the wmwifirouter. I still don't know why the setting changed on my Diamond . It happened around a month ago. I have not tried Internet Sharing since so I will have a look to see what my setting says now.

EDIT:
When I change the connection from "Phone as Modem" to "Sprint," I get the following pop up: "The remote party has ended this connection," I have tried it multiple times now and before.
Seems that Sprint is forcing Phone as Modem when you Internet Share, at least in the situation I mentioned.

puff 03-16-2009 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biker1 (Post 774580)
When I change the connection from "Phone as Modem" to "Sprint," I get the following pop up: "The remote party has ended this connection," I have tried it multiple times now and before.
Seems that Sprint is forcing Phone as Modem when you Internet Share, at least in the situation I mentioned.

this is due to registry entries on the device designed to prevent tethering without payin for it ;-)
to circumvent this you will need delete some reg keys or install a cab (to do it for you)

here is another thread on enabling undetected tethering
and here is an article on the same subject that lists one of two keys that needs to be deleted,
for some reason this article fails to mention the extension key that, if found, should also be deleted.