PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 03:01 PM
Lat
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus Mobility

Lat knows their stuffLat knows their stuffLat knows their stuffLat knows their stuffLat knows their stuffLat knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Stock Rom vs Custom Rom - Exxagerated?

As much as you might be able to tweak a stock rom, you can't change the SYS if you never flash it. Some builds of Windows are just inherently faster. In certain cases, it makes a HUGE difference. If you actually benchmark / compare file read/write speeds, as well as taking in account the 'snappiness' of the ROM.

I second the recommendation to go try Juicy 5; you will never turn back Plus, it saves you time if you don't have to apply the tweaks yourself.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:08 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint
Threadstarter

fiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw1972 View Post
For the time I had my Mogul, I stayed stock all the way. I was afraid of doing anything more than installing and uninstalling apps. I think I would have stuck with it longer (yeah right!) if I had flashed a custom ROM.

I have flashed a couple of extremely different ones so far and I have been pleased with both. A clean ROM (Y4J 5.0 now WELCOME BACK) gives you so much freedom, I almost didn't know what to do with it all. A L-O-A-D-E-D ROM (KK 1.8...still rocking it and loving it) has so many apps...I don't know what to do with.

Bottom line is preference and usability. One thing for sure is the with custom ROM's you can have actual dialog with the person responsible for the ROM for NO KIDDING TECHNICAL SUPPORT. Dealing with Sprint and their stock ROM, you might get some kid sitting in front of a database regurgitating back to you what HTC/Microsoft recommends as the "fix." Good luck if your "problem" is not a common one...because you'll probably find yourself back here OR XDA for help.
I have to agree with you on the support issue. Just browsing the Custom ROM threads you get a sense of the commitment and purpose these guys have to their builds. They seem genuinely intent on just making sure everyone is satisfied and their quality is high. Pretty impressed there... That is one thing that would factor into me eventually getting the costom ROM.

I am very tempted to upgrade the radio though... what are the overall benefits of that?
Old 03-13-2009, 03:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 3D

BigDinCA is keeping up the good workBigDinCA is keeping up the good workBigDinCA is keeping up the good work

If you search the threads on the upgrades forum you'll find a thousand answers, but in a nutshell it improves battery life and can increase your signal strength and data speeds. It did all of the above for me, especially the battery life. As an added bonus, the battery heat issue has dramatically improved for me. I'm on the Sprint 1.11.00F radio and it's superior to the stock radio.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Jailbroken and rooted
Pocket PC: ET4G/Thrive/iPad (original)
Carrier: Sprint and AT&T

amw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIPamw1972 is a VIP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiyah View Post
I have to agree with you on the support issue. Just browsing the Custom ROM threads you get a sense of the commitment and purpose these guys have to their builds. They seem genuinely intent on just making sure everyone is satisfied and their quality is high. Pretty impressed there... That is one thing that would factor into me eventually getting the costom ROM.

I am very tempted to upgrade the radio though... what are the overall benefits of that?

Funny you should mention the radio...I JUST flashed Sprint 1.11 last night...and already I have more bars all along my normal commute. I have more bars at the office, AND (hope its not a placebo effect) I have what seems to be a faster data connection. Flashing the radio does NOT hard reset your phone, but you will have to unlock your phone. SOOOOO....if you already have to unlock your phone...you might as well try out the sweet ROMs out there...cuz everyones doing it...and if everyones doing it...it can't be bad for you...HAHAHA besides...you can always go back to the stock Sprint ROM...and relock your phone like it all never happened.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

BigDinCA is keeping up the good workBigDinCA is keeping up the good workBigDinCA is keeping up the good work

It's not a placebo effect. I'm on my 4th TP and this is the first one I flashed the new radio to. The differences are very evident. My wife has my old (3rd) TP and her radio hasn't been updated. My battery, data and signal strenth issues are all improved, while her TP still has them.

Kinda' makes me sound like an a-hole for not flashing hers, huh?
Old 03-13-2009, 04:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

karate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularkarate134 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Here's my thoughts for whatever it's worth:

I just got into these expensive phones just recently (past four months or so). I didn't even know what custom roms were. I tried it on my pro and I found it to be better.

Generally companies have to have product that can be set for the various consumer levels and also for the corporate level. I believe microsoft has this issue (not gonna get into that).

What happens is then sometimes the product might get bogged down with certain functions that might have absolutely no use to us. I believe that this custom rom thing that has taken ahold of many of the people on the forums is a way to cut out all that crap that we don't need, add performance where we need it (and possibly lose it where we don't), and potentionally add some app or whatever that we need.

Hopefully I explained my thoughts well (didn't want to go on forever).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Random Phones>>Treo 800w>>Touch Pro>>Touch Pro 2
Old 03-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

fiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stufffiyah knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinCA View Post
It's not a placebo effect. I'm on my 4th TP and this is the first one I flashed the new radio to. The differences are very evident. My wife has my old (3rd) TP and her radio hasn't been updated. My battery, data and signal strenth issues are all improved, while her TP still has them.

Kinda' makes me sound like an a-hole for not flashing hers, huh?
lol

Is there a manual on how to upgrade the radio? Searched and couldn't really find one.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

If you download the file, it's in RAR format, which is really just another type of compression, like a ZIP file. It took me a day to figure out, but I had to put the downloaded file on my phone, I used PocketRAR to extract the files from the phone to my microSDcard, then put the extracted files back on my PC. From there, I ran the RUU to flash the new radio and everything was fine. Windows will extract a ZIP file but not a RAR file. You can buy software that will do it, but pocketRAR is free, although the downside is it only works on the phone, not the PC.

Last edited by BigDinCA; 03-13-2009 at 05:36 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:47 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Never mind ... found it. Wish me luck!
Old 03-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinCA View Post
If you download the file, it's in RAR format, which is really just another type of compression, like a ZIP file. It took me a day to figure out, but I had to put the downloaded file on my phone, I used PocketRAR to extract the files from the phone to my microSDcard, then put the extracted files back on my PC. From there, I ran the RUU to flash the new radio and everything was fine. Windows will extract a ZIP file but not a RAR file. You can buy software tat will do it, but pocketRAR is free, although the downside is it only works on the phone, not the PC.
WinRAR has a trial version that will do that on my PC. I am good there. Thanks!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro