PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel 6800 > Touch Pro > Imagio>Droid Razr
Carrier: Alltel>Verizon

mastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Delete Email from Phone ONLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave01978 View Post
just looked over my settings, my ISP that was autsetup imap only has move to trash, and delete, my main email -my website one pop3 has delete off server, and keep on server.

Difference between imap and pop 3 http://www.clickz.com/1141651

Gmail pop setup http://mail.google.com/support/bin/a...n&answer=13273

hotmail pop setup http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/blog...33!49799.entry

You should just be able to go thru and change the settings, if not you can always delete the account and set it up, i think thats the problem, imap you access the server and read it on it, where pop3 downloads it all.

Hopefully we now have this email issue all solved

Dave
Exactly!!
Old 03-13-2009, 02:23 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I personally prefer IMAP as I like my email synced between all my sources including my phone, MS Outlook and online Gmail. I almost never delete emails unless its really useless, but instead archive them in a seperate folder. When I move my mail into the "Archive" folder, it gets deleted on my phone once it sends and receives to Gmail servers. On the website/Outlook however it's still retained in my Archive. This lets me save space on my phone, but also keeps a history of my old e-mail correspondences.

POP3 is really antiquated at this point. With services like Gmail and even Hotmail you have gigabytes of server storage so you almost never have to worry about mail space.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

z284pwr is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkjedi007 View Post
I personally prefer IMAP as I like my email synced between all my sources including my phone, MS Outlook and online Gmail. I almost never delete emails unless its really useless, but instead archive them in a seperate folder. When I move my mail into the "Archive" folder, it gets deleted on my phone once it sends and receives to Gmail servers. On the website/Outlook however it's still retained in my Archive. This lets me save space on my phone, but also keeps a history of my old e-mail correspondences.

POP3 is really antiquated at this point. With services like Gmail and even Hotmail you have gigabytes of server storage so you almost never have to worry about mail space.
I guess i'm still in the old age. For my Laptop I really prefer POP3 over IMAP. IMAP is way to slow for syncing between them. That and I often and storing and sending large files in emails and if I don't have access to the Internet or on a slow connection its painfully slow, especially when I'm a hurry to get to a file and change it, this is also much easier if I'm offline, I can just open Outlook, find the email and I have the file, no worries of Internet.

IMAP is definitely handy if you are using more than one device though. My laptop is my main source of computer usage so anywhere else I need to see email I just use the web client. Luckily the email is sent to the Trash in Gmail after it has been downloaded of the server so I can still get to a file if I need it from a different computer.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:21 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z284pwr View Post
I guess i'm still in the old age. For my Laptop I really prefer POP3 over IMAP. IMAP is way to slow for syncing between them. That and I often and storing and sending large files in emails and if I don't have access to the Internet or on a slow connection its painfully slow, especially when I'm a hurry to get to a file and change it, this is also much easier if I'm offline, I can just open Outlook, find the email and I have the file, no worries of Internet.

IMAP is definitely handy if you are using more than one device though. My laptop is my main source of computer usage so anywhere else I need to see email I just use the web client. Luckily the email is sent to the Trash in Gmail after it has been downloaded of the server so I can still get to a file if I need it from a different computer.
My Outlook is set up the same way in that even offline I have access to all my mail and attachments as it's autodownloaded and a copy of everything resides on my HD. The only difference in this aspect is that IMAP reflects any changes you make in outlook to the primary mail server. If you set it up the right way you don't need constant internet to view your emails. As for speed, I haven't really noticed a difference, but I haven't used POP3 service in years so I haven't really compared hahah. Theoretically there shouldn't be a difference in the amount of time it takes to sync the folders as they are both essentially just downloading messages from a server, messages that are a couple kilobytes at most. One of my IMAP servers allowed for the IDLE command too, so that when I was hooked up onto the internet e-mail was "pushed" to my computer if I had Outlook open, instead of sending/receiving at intervals which is necessary for POP3. If anything this makes IMAP faster than POP3 as it has a quicker response.

Last edited by Darkjedi; 03-13-2009 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

KillerQ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKillerQ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKillerQ is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKillerQ is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Hey all,

Yea, this is the only reason I ever hesitate using the AOL mail server on my pocket outlook. I don't want to have to worry about deleting mail, or keeping it as new on my phone in fear of something happening to it next time I check my regular aol mail....

Later,

Matt!
Old 03-13-2009, 11:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

dave01978 is keeping up the good workdave01978 is keeping up the good work

yeah i guess im old school too, i get a ton of email a day, to much to keep up with on the phone sometimes, and i can set everything into outlook, and be done with it, but i can see where imap would be nice for some

Old 03-13-2009, 11:22 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul and Touch Pro

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to crazychef Send a message via Skype™ to crazychef

pop is the only way!
"Lose?..I Dont Lose!.....I Win.....I Win.....Im a Lawyer, Thats My Job and Thats What I Do" -Keanu Reeves "Devils Advocate"
Old 03-14-2009, 12:20 AM
VIP Duck
Pocket PC: RAPHAEL / TOPAZ / RHODIUM
Carrier: Verizon

NinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the communityNinjaDuck is a trusted member of the community

I do not use gmail, but if it works anything like exchange, you can select what folders get downloaded. If this is the case, you can simply move the email in to a folder that is not downloaded to the phone.

Done...

I hope it works this way for you.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:48 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeezy723 View Post
The only options I see for both my AOLmail acct and Gmail acct are "delete them off the server" and "move them to server trash." There is no keep them on server, unless you're referring to moving to server trash.
My gmail account is the same way (latest Mighty ROM)

On a previous ROM, I did have the option to leave the mail on the server.

~John
Old 03-14-2009, 08:56 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

dave01978 is keeping up the good workdave01978 is keeping up the good work

im willing to bet, one was setup as pop maybe, and one now is imap, I think the whole reason for being not deleted keep on server is the whole basis of imap, being able to keep all the email synced up. ie you delete it on one, but now there not all synced the same, I cant really think of a way in words to describe what im thinking though so i hope that makes some sence.

Dave

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro