PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 03:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

kevinb13 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to kevinb13
Problem: Rom or Phone?

So I got my TP about a month ago. Having a mogul prior to this I was familiar to flashing and wasted no time at all going to try some new Rom's. One thing I've noticed since having this thing is that on random occasions when I text the phone will lock up for about 5 seconds. I didn't leave the stock rom on long enough to notice if the stock rom had this issue or not, but I certainly have tried about 3 or 4 other Rom's so far and have had this issue on each of them.

My wife has a Diamond with the stock Rom and she does not have this problem. So my question... Is there anyone else who is having this issue, and if so is there a fix for it? This problem is annoying me to the point that I want to sell it and try out the pre.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
-Kevin
Old 03-09-2009, 07:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond & Touch Pro

mizzle80 is becoming a great contributor
Re: Problem: Rom or Phone?

did you hard reset/clear storage before each new ROM? alot of times that is the problem...if so then there's a cab you can try to use for keyboard if it's more like lag vs. locking up

what do you have installed on the ROM? could also be the case since you say its locked up on all the ROMs you tried....but i would try a hard reset/clear storage first and then reload the ROM

here's the cab to try for keyboard lag
Attached Files
File Type: cab SPJ Keyboard Speed Increase.cab (1.1 KB, 4 views) Click for barcode!
Old 03-09-2009, 07:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I just flashed the Silence Rom today. I always do a hard reset after flashing I was just thinking of something though... When i had my last computer i kept getting this virus that would kill IE after about an hour of a reformat. I reformat that thing like 10 times and everytime I would get the same virus. I later found that the virus was in my partitioned hard drive so everytime i would reinstall my backup files it would just go back on.

...getting onto the point. Could something similar have happened to the TP? I had a mogul prior to this and used pimbackup to bring over my contacts and such. Is there a possibility that something could cause this?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo / TP / TP2

JohnBecker is keeping up the good workJohnBecker is keeping up the good work

Since PC viruses are written in x86 language, it wouldn't run on your WM device.

It sounds like you're sliding out the keyboard and sending the text message and then hitting send. It appears to lock up and pause for a very long time ( or run very sluggish ).

It's a known problem with the keyboard lag on the TP devices. I've tried everything and nothing seems to fix it, with this one exception. I close the keyboard and wait a moment before hitting SEND. I let the screen revert to normal and then wait about three or four seconds before pressing SEND. It doesn't seem to lag or lock up as much when I do it that way.

It's been mentioned that it has something to do with the video driver on the TP. That's why it doesn't affect the Diamond (no sliding keyboard).

EVO 4G ... after 8 years of Windows Mobile devices, I've given up on WM toys and switched to Android. This is the way mobile should have been!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

possibility...just start over fresh....re-install everything by hand...i know its a PITA but it might eliminate the problem....

or you could go back to stock rom and see if it does it on that one too....i just doubt tat evry ROM you've tried has the same problem, so that tells me it might be within the programs you've added or KB lag....what else did you restore from your mogul, just contacts?

Last edited by mizzle80; 03-09-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBecker View Post
Since PC viruses are written in x86 language, it wouldn't run on your WM device.

It sounds like you're sliding out the keyboard and sending the text message and then hitting send. It appears to lock up and pause for a very long time ( or run very sluggish ).

It's a known problem with the keyboard lag on the TP devices. I've tried everything and nothing seems to fix it, with this one exception. I close the keyboard and wait a moment before hitting SEND. I let the screen revert to normal and then wait about three or four seconds before pressing SEND. It doesn't seem to lag or lock up as much when I do it that way.

It's been mentioned that it has something to do with the video driver on the TP. That's why it doesn't affect the Diamond (no sliding keyboard).

good point but I don't think OP was meaning that the virus or corruption came from the pc itself to his tp....
Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Haha, yeah sorry John, i Know it was confusing. I was just trying to get a point across that just popped into my head. Doing a hard reset as we speak and I'm not going to put any of my old stuff on... this is just an issue that has been bugging me since the day I got the phone.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

ok, well good luck and try that cab i posted to see if it might help a little with the KB lag...i use it on mine and don't have nearly as much lag as it did have
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Thanks Mizzle,

Too early to tell for sure yet but i just sent about 1000 characters of random jibberish to my wife and it didn't lock up. Just sucks though gonna have to start from scratch
Old 03-09-2009, 08:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

no problem
yeah, i know the feeling...i've had to do it as well...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro