PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 01:41 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon

nyclio is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sprint terminating my contract for too much roaming

I work in a very low Sprint coverage area. As a result, I keep my TP on roaming pretty much all the time. Verizon is about the only service that gets signal where I am.

A sprint rep called me and told me they are going to be canceling my service very soon due to my excessive roaming (without the regular cancellation fee of course).

I don't mind. I am going to be switching over to Verizon.

Sprint wants their TP back so I am considering getting the same phone for Verizon (HTC Touch Pro) even though I know it is somewhat hardware crippled. I prefer WinMo phones. Are there any better alternatives anyone can suggest instead of the TP?

Also, a concern I have about Verizon that I am hoping a user here can answer from personal experience - can I use the Verizon TP as a modem the way I do w/ Sprint?

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2009, 01:49 AM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty
Re: Sprint terminating my contract for too much roaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclio View Post
I work in a very low Sprint coverage area. As a result, I keep my TP on roaming pretty much all the time. Verizon is about the only service that gets signal where I am.

A sprint rep called me and told me they are going to be canceling my service very soon due to my excessive roaming (without the regular cancellation fee of course).

I don't mind. I am going to be switching over to Verizon.

Sprint wants their TP back so I am considering getting the same phone for Verizon (HTC Touch Pro) even though I know it is somewhat hardware crippled. I prefer WinMo phones. Are there any better alternatives anyone can suggest instead of the TP?

Also, a concern I have about Verizon that I am hoping a user here can answer from personal experience - can I use the Verizon TP as a modem the way I do w/ Sprint?

Thanks!
I am not sure about the modem thing, but do not give them their phone back! They said they had no roaming fees and this is their fault. Most people only are ok with using their Verizon TP after they disable TF3D. There is a tutorial for putting a Sprint TP on Verizon's network.
Old 03-07-2009, 01:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thacounty View Post
I am not sure about the modem thing, but do not give them their phone back! They said they had no roaming fees and this is their fault. Most people only are ok with using their Verizon TP after they disable TF3D. There is a tutorial for putting a Sprint TP on Verizon's network.

They told me that "although roaming is free, it is limited to 800 minutes per month before they start monitoring usage."
Old 03-07-2009, 02:01 AM
White Monster > Red Bull
Pocket PC: Clean S4 - Development stopped - xposed mod
Carrier: AT&T

thacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIPthacounty is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via AIM to thacounty Send a message via MSN to thacounty Send a message via Skype™ to thacounty

Well, they are more than welcome to monitor haha. Id tell them they can cancel me if they want, if you don't care, and then say, but this phone is mine, I paid for it. From what I can tell, you DO NOT want a Verizon TP. I don't have one, but I haven't heard much good about it.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:04 AM
Ship Jumper
Pocket PC: EVO 4G, EVO 3D & GALAXY S 2
Carrier: The Now Network

BRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPBRIVERS73 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

This is ridiculous. As many subscribers as Sprint are consistently losing who would think that they would be adding to that number by canceling people service?!?
Old 03-07-2009, 02:06 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Priest is becoming a great contributor

Is Sprint going to give you the money back that you paid for the phone? As far as I'm concerned: "I paid for this phone, you're choosing to cancel me... I'm keeping the phone. Oh, and before you get off the phone, can you unlock it for me? Thanks!"

Hahaha!
Old 03-07-2009, 02:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I am going to call tomorrow and argue for the phone. I do agree with it being on the ridiculous side though. I have had them since 1998 and have a $225/month family plan. You would think they could deal with my roaming due to their crappy signal.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:16 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 800w
Carrier: Sprint

acs12798 is a n00b

There is language in the contract regarding excessive roaming. However, the whole phone things seems really weird unless they are refunding your money for it. If they are refunding your money, you kind of make out on the deal since you can't use the Sprint version elsewhere anyway. If they don't refund your money its total BS they asked for it back.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:18 AM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyclio View Post
I am going to call tomorrow and argue for the phone. I do agree with it being on the ridiculous side though. I have had them since 1998 and have a $225/month family plan. You would think they could deal with my roaming due to their crappy signal.
You're a long-term, high-usage customer and they're canceling your contract? Call them and complain, if you want to keep it. Let them know what the issue is and that you have otherwise been happy with your service and you would like to stay. See if they can get you an Airave (if that's what you want, it would solve your service issues)... I can't see them looking at your account and just throwing that out.

And they'll want to cancel accounts of people who roam too much because they have to pay the other network providers for roaming time used, and the same applies in the other direction.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:27 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X

mikenerd is keeping up the good workmikenerd is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by acs12798 View Post
There is language in the contract regarding excessive roaming. However, the whole phone things seems really weird unless they are refunding your money for it. If they are refunding your money, you kind of make out on the deal since you can't use the Sprint version elsewhere anyway. If they don't refund your money its total BS they asked for it back.
I just cancelled Sprint 2 weeks ago due to the increase in admin fees (thats what I told them) and I was only with them for 6 weeks. I paid no ETF and kept my TP. I put it on VZN and am VERY happy. I read you can cancel until 3/15 and not be charged the ETF. You might try that. BTW i cancelled because I kept having calls go to vm when i had full bars. I would have like to have stayed with them since they are 50 bucks a month less than vzn but I cant be missing calls. I also got a free Airave from them I need to sell....

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro