PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Lurker

flightgamer is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I want a phone with GPS but no data plan...Fuze?

Hi all,
I need your wisdom.
I have a Dell x50v that I love.
I want a phone that I can load GPS software on like iGuidance and sync with activesync but I do not want or need push email or surfing capabilities. What, if anything, can I do.
Would the HTC Fuze do this for me or is it 3rd party limited and GPS stuck to Navigator?
I basically want my dell to grow phone capabilities.......thanks for your help.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Re: I want a phone with GPS but no data plan...Fuze?

You don't need data connection to get the GPS to work on Sprint or Verizon. You technically don't even need a connection to the cell tower from what I hear, it'll just take a really long time to lock. You can probably lock internet from the carriers end, or you can also disable data connection on your phone as well. As long as you use GPS software that relies on its own maps like TomTom or Garmin, GPS should work fine.

I can't vouch for the Fuze, but I'd imagine the GPS on the Fuze wouldn't be locked down either.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: telus

denti is just getting started

agree with darkjedi, i'm running tomtom off my storage card with data turned off. works just fine
Old 03-06-2009, 03:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZN TP
Carrier: VZN

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

with VZN you HAVE to have a data plan now. it changed jan 1. my 6800 had a no data plan but when i bought my TP i had to add data. i tried it online and over the phone with several reps and was unable to get it without a data plan.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:28 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mylt1 View Post
with VZN you HAVE to have a data plan now. it changed jan 1. my 6800 had a no data plan but when i bought my TP i had to add data. i tried it online and over the phone with several reps and was unable to get it without a data plan.
That blows, VZW data is like 40$/mo I remember too, ridiculous, that's more than what I pay for everything included TEP and tax!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:46 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZN TP
Carrier: VZN

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

without tethering its $30 with its like $45. but for that $30 you do get unlimited. i didnt want data cause i have DSL at work and home but now that im using it im glad i have it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro