PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   gps question (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=60111)

turbochris 03-05-2009 09:33 PM

gps question

does the gps built into the touch pro work from satellites or does it work from cell tower triangulation?

Rusty Duck 03-05-2009 09:34 PM

Re: gps question

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbochris (Post 755693)
does the gps built into the touch pro work from satellites or does it work from cell tower triangulation?

It is satellites. Why do you ask?

HBOOT 03-06-2009 12:17 AM

I believe he asked because he simply didnt know...:headbang:

turbochris 03-10-2009 04:27 PM

Yes that's right, I didn't know :mrgreen: I have a bluetooth GPS left over from my XV6700 and I was going to use it if the GPS in the touch pro worked off the cell towers. I wouldn't think the cell tower GPS would perform as good as the satelite based GPS

Asphyx 03-10-2009 04:57 PM

I'm not entirely sure but I do believe the TouchPro can do both GPS and aGPS.
I know the Verizon flavor does because it works with VZ Navigator...
There are some posts over at XDA about enabling aGPS as well.

loren646 03-11-2009 11:12 AM

i have no idea.

a_c_s 03-11-2009 02:06 PM

It works with both...the stock configuration is aGPS which means it uses a combo of cell towers and satellite data to pinpoint your location...this obviously uses data, and in roaming areas or places with spotty coverage, would be a hit or miss solution...Sprint's built in Nav program works this way...BUT, there are some great options like Garmin XT, iGo 8 and Tom Tom all of which work really well on the phone and can work with pure satellite signals...my Garmin XT can use either aGPS or GPS...I let it start in AGPs mode and then turn off data and let it cruise in pure GPS mode...better on battery life that way...

Asphyx 03-11-2009 03:20 PM

I'm not sure that the Garmin (or aGPS in general) uses data connection...IT does however use the cell radio so if you are roaming ibn old nodes (or in a tunnel without Cell service) you will lose your lock with aGPS,
You'll lose the GPS lock in a tunnel as well...

ACS did you have to set Garmin to use aGPS? I have never seen a setting for that just a setting to pick the GPS reciever to use...Internal or Bluetooth...

Mylt1 03-11-2009 08:18 PM

my VZN TP does not use towers, just the sats. if its trying to download the aGPS data(on my titan at least) you will see the data arrows. as it stands i am only using the GPS chip, i havent seen an aGPS fix for the TP but i really havent been looking.

kyle4269 03-11-2009 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mylt1 (Post 766187)
my VZN TP does not use towers, just the sats. if its trying to download the aGPS data(on my titan at least) you will see the data arrows. as it stands i am only using the GPS chip, i havent seen an aGPS fix for the TP but i really havent been looking.

I don't think aGPS is working for the Verizon TP right now..