PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 07:10 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

DalesWife is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Simple Instructions for Tethering Touch Pro on Sprint

I know, I know, there are a ton of threads talking about tethering!

However, I am really not that knowledgeable with smartphones and only figured out what tethering was after an hour and a half of searching ppcgeeks.

I would like to get rid of my internet access at home - and hook my phone up to my laptop for internet access, since I already pay for internet access with Sprint.

I would need to use a USB to do this because I really cannot even figure out how to use BT with my laptop.

Is there anyone out there who can provide step by step instructions, or at least a link to step by step instructions?

I really appreciate it - and, before someone sends a post telling me to SEARCH - I did! Perhaps it's my ignorance with the terms used but I would REALLY APPRECIATE a step by step for Noobs and Inexperienced people like me.

THANKS A BUNCH!
Old 03-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Still a Geek
Pocket PC: GalaxyS Fascinate; Bold 9650 on the shelf incase!
Carrier: VZW/Sprint

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Simple Instructions for Tethering Touch Pro on Sprint

Use the USB cable and connect to your laptop via activesync. (Are you able to do that?) If you have windows xp its called activesync on your laptop if its vista its called Windows Mobile Device Center.. same purpose. You need to be connected this way. You don't have to establish a partnership (no need to sync items if you don't want.) When you conne t your phone to the pc a window comes up on your phone and you choose active sync or diskdrive.. you want to be sure to choose active sync. (be sure you have WMDC installed on your pc if you haven't already).

Be sure your wireless is turned off on laptop or ICS gets confused!

Once you've successfully made this type of connection you need to go to your phone and scroll to programs. Choose Internet Connection Sharing program. Select USB for PC Connection box and Sprint for network connection box.
Click Connect on bottom left... you may get a popup on the laptop the first time while drivers are installed. You may have to go to your laptop network connections windoow to select the phone.. just depends on phone and laptop but this should get you started..

Have you edited your registry to allow Internet Connection Setting? This is how I've edited mine:
HKLM\Comm\InternetSettings in the key "Extension" I deleted the info.
In the Settings folder I deleted the entire key that states "forcecellconnection"

This way I have the drop down boxes as described above in ICS program.. choice of USB or Bluetooth, Choice of Phone as Modem or Sprint.
This post has been thanked 4 times.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro 2!

pjf357 is keeping up the good workpjf357 is keeping up the good work

1:Install the internet tethering hack http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/attachment...9&d=1221879604 (thanks Swartz! Makes it easy for us noobs)

2:Make sure you have window mobile device center installed(Vista) or activsync(XP) So your computer has the proper drivers http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

3:Connect the usb cable to your phone. Then connect to your pc.

4:Wait for your pc to recognize and install the drivers for your phone(automatic if you followed step 2) You should see a notifacation in bottom right corner of your pc.

5: Select internet sharing from the popup when you plug the cable in. Or goto StartMenu/programs/internet sharing. When it starts hit connect in the bottom left corner if it hasn't already.

Start up your favorite browser and enjoy

Last edited by pjf357; 03-03-2009 at 07:49 PM.
This post has been thanked 7 times.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

lol you beat me to it
Old 03-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Still a Geek

eenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributionseenieMINI should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Yours is much more clear! I used girl-talk.... we do it in a roundabout way!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Lol U speak Girl. I wish I did (finding nemo quote...sort of) :P
Old 03-03-2009, 09:53 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

Thank You both sooooo much!

Just ONE more thing! Does this charge the phone at the same time so that I don't have to worry about running out of battery?

Thanks again!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

turbored is a n00b

How does it work for a mac?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Still a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjf357 View Post
Lol U speak Girl. I wish I did (finding nemo quote...sort of) :P
It comes naturally... I is girl!

About charging.. yes and no... you're charging but you're also depleting so it can be a wash depending on how much data you're transfering... I have never tried tethering for extended lengths at a time... though I know others do so you might read up on those type of posts.... heating can be an issue too.

About mac.. I do not know but there are a few threads about tethering with mac.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:48 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

OKAY, so I just tried it....AND IT WORKED LIKE A CHARM!!

Woot-Woot! *happy!*

Just a couple more questions:

I first installed the cab that pjf357 provided the link to for the tethering. Is that what is providing the icon that says "Internet Sharing" or did that option come with the phone?

Will I be charged an extra fee from Sprint for using the data? I currently have an unlimited data plan.

Thanks so much for making this easy and giving me step by step instructions...you have no idea how grateful I am!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro