PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Skelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quick question on restores thanks

i have been using sprite as a backup can i just install this over new roms to have all my programs and everything back up and going or is UC much better
Old 03-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Gettin' Freaky With It
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy S5/iPad Air 2
Carrier: Big Red

rainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the communityrainfreak is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to rainfreak
Re: Quick question on restores thanks

I prefer to use UC, when available, and then use backup restores to replace saved files (game saves, Live Search search results, etc). That way, as long as I stay current with UC, I always know that I have the latest versions available for the software that I use.
Old 03-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Skelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularSkelator03 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

can i just use sprite and back everything up and just restore or will that not work when changing roms?
Old 03-04-2009, 04:27 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2
Carrier: Verizon

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelator03 View Post
can i just use sprite and back everything up and just restore or will that not work when changing roms?
That works fine for me & I've probably done it twenty times (don't try it with SPB backup however)

With Sprite, flash your new ROM & then restore using the merge one option & check all the restore boxes.

~John
Old 03-04-2009, 04:29 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

Not advisable. If you flash a new ROM and then restore your device with a backup containing your old ROM settings, you can cause serious issues. What you're doing is trying to force a new ROM to work with settings that may be incompatble. Use SPB Backup, as it has a ROM Upgrade feature. It will restore everything EXCEPT your previous ROM settings

Old 03-04-2009, 04:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Galaxy Note II

Geekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on repGeekcop is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via MSN to Geekcop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
That works fine for me & I've probably done it twenty times (don't try it with SPB backup however)

With Sprite, flash your new ROM & then restore using the merge one option & check all the restore boxes.

~John
Odd.....I've used nothing but SPB and it's ROM Upgrade Mode when restoring after a ROM flash. What issues did you experience??
Old 03-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

come on lol ive seen john say that he has tested all that but i was just worried bout reg edits and all that or would it be better to just do it all by hand but i dont wanna do that indiv install and tweak or even use UC to install cabs and then have to manually tweak the rest sounds like a pain
Old 03-04-2009, 04:48 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: rooted DroidX/leaked 2.2

jmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the communityjmorton10 is a trusted member of the community

I'll be the first to agree that restoring a BU is not the preferred way to do it, starting fresh is ALWAYS preferrable.

That being said, the ROM upgrade mode in Sprite works perfectly for me & I use it all the time.

When I used the ROM upgrade in SPB it was very iffy whether it would work right or not (in my TP that is, when I had my Titan's SPB worked perfectly)

You guys use whatever you want, I'm not biased to one software over another at all. I paid for both Sprite & SPB & tested the hell out of both (search my old posts) & just post what works for me.

~John
Old 03-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

then i will just use sprite then for sure thats what i have done but not tried it with an ugraded rom what about the registery and everything if its complete backup wont this mess it up
Old 04-01-2009, 02:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

rlmentz is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorton10 View Post
I'll be the first to agree that restoring a BU is not the preferred way to do it, starting fresh is ALWAYS preferrable.

That being said, the ROM upgrade mode in Sprite works perfectly for me & I use it all the time.

When I used the ROM upgrade in SPB it was very iffy whether it would work right or not (in my TP that is, when I had my Titan's SPB worked perfectly)

You guys use whatever you want, I'm not biased to one software over another at all. I paid for both Sprite & SPB & tested the hell out of both (search my old posts) & just post what works for me.

~John
What restore option do you use?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro