PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 06:20 PM
ShadowDrake

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
TP Dead? (Freezes, soft reset, will not boot)

I'm on my 3rd TP for various reasons now and I've run into another large issue.

I was having random program crashes with Dream's ROM... galarm and beejive crashed the most. It had been months since I had done a hard reset, so I figured I'd flash to a different ROM.

I tried MightyMike's ROM, and was having some big time issues:
-I set up UC, it would run, install the cabs, then restart. Only about half of the programs actually installed. Other times, it would install all of my prorgams, soft reset, then start UC over again. Other times, it will soft reset and just get stuck on the Touch Pro screen.
-Once running, it would randomly freeze, completely. I'd soft reset it, and it would get to the touch Pro screen and just sit there. The only way to correct this was to hard reset. It did this every hour and a half or so

So, I switched to Juicy's ROM, figuring I was just having an issue with the ROM being corrupt. Everything installed properly, a random program crashed but it's always done that, I've left it as "normal"

Things have been good for the past two days. Randomly, things will crash and it will act really strange, I was just putting up with it till a new version of the ROM came out.

Well, just now, I got a new text, opened it up, it said "Loading message..." and froze there. No big deal, I'll just soft reset...

And now it's stuck at the Touch Pro screen again. Soft resetting does not make it boot, nor does pulling the battery and starting it over. I need to hard reset it to get it to boot. I'm going to re-flash it back to 100% stock and call Sprint.

Any suggestions? Any programs possibly causing this issue? A corrupted .cab file? Or is the phone just messed up... I don't have TEP but I do have Best Buy's insurance (which was a mistake, by the way), and I may have to replace it through them, though Sprint replaced my last one when the keyboard stopped working without any questions asked.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:24 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: VZN TP
Carrier: VZN

Mylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on repMylt1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: TP Dead? (Freezes, soft reset, will not boot)

have you tried SSK's roms? since going to that i have had 0 problems.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:46 PM
ShadowDrake

I'll give it a shot, thanks. Nothing to lose at this point anyway, I'm about to reflash to stock sprint and call them and get it replaced.

I'll report back in a few with the results!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:48 PM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!
Carrier: Sprint

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

ok people.....come on......I understand that custom roms have a lot of benefit for the most part and most work great....BUT when The phone runs fine, then you add a custom rom and it acts up like a redheaded stepchild and people freak out and say "My phone is broke...I want it replaced!". What does that tell you?? Try flashing back to the stock rom and see if those problems persist before trying to get your phone replaced. It's most likely just a bad install or something got corrupt. It's only common sense. No wonder they are raising the TEP to 100 smakaroos.

Last edited by gator352; 03-02-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:52 PM
ShadowDrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator352 View Post
ok people.....come on......I understand that custom roms have a lot of benefit for the most part and most work great....BUT when The phone runs fine, then you add a custom rom and it acts up like a redheaded stepchild and people freak out and say "My phone is broke". What does that tell you?? Try flashing back to the stock rom and see if those problems persist before trying to get your phone replaced. It's most likely just a bad install or something got corrupt. It's only common sense.
It's been getting worse as time goes by, and as the adamant defenders of MightMike's ROM stated with hostility, "You're the only one having the problem so it's gotta be your fault."

Again here, I get the same response, where it's easy to just place blame instead of helping to propose a solution. All I've done is ask here to see if anyone has run into the same issues. I remember people talking about how their mainboard had to be replaced by HTC, but I don't remember the issues that they were having.

I've tried multiple ROMs now and I'm getting the same result, and again, I'm the only one having this issue, that rules out a bit that every single ROM out there has problems.

I don't mean to be overly hostile, I'm just quite frustrated at this point because I've spent a profane amount of unnecessary hours in the past few days on this, and I don't have contact with my friends while my phone is dead for four to six hours at a time.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Gatornator
Pocket PC: Palm Pre /3 EVO 4G's/1 moPho!
Carrier: Sprint

gator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on repgator352 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I don't mean any hostilities. I'm just sayin While I understand your plight, I am offering a solution. Try reverting back to stock and see if those problems persist. If they do, then you genuinly have a problem, if not, then for some reason or another, your phone doesn't like custom roms.

There are people here who have had to have their MB replaced, among other things. These things are electronic and murphy's law states that anything that can go wrong most definatley will at some point. I read on here more than I post and I have read people stating that they have flashed a new rom (any rom in general) and now their TP is acting strange (various reasons from keyboard not working to the screen not working right) then slamming HTC for making a crappy product!

But just because one rom workes killer on one TP, doesn't mean it will work on another. I know, but they are all the same right? Doesn't matter. No two things are exactly alike. I don't mean to be harsh or anything man, I get frustrated at people that flash a new rom, TP goes haywire, and they want to return or exchange it without reverting back to stock first.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro