PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Sudden slowdown on TP (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=59300)

gravitron 02-26-2009 04:31 PM

Sudden slowdown on TP

Hi everyone,

I have a TELUS TP, stock ROM, with some third-party software. After about 10 days of running, performance suddenly slows to a crawl and I am left with no choice but to hard-reset then restore from a backup (Sprite Backup). Performance is then back to normal. This seems to rule out hardware issues.

I have installed "nothing" in the past 10 days, after the last restore (I've gone through this 3 times now). What is there that could suddenly cause such a performance degradation?

One example: going into the messaging app to see my text message and displaying the first thread takes over 2 minutes while it's normally 3-4 seconds total. Another: lauching "Remove Programs" to get the list of software to post below takes 1 minute!

Thanks for any advice!

Handmark Pocket Express (TELUS Portal)
.NET CF 3.5
Advanced Config
Diamond Tweak
Google Maps
Total Commander
TELUS Mobile Email
tnyynt SD TuneUp
PocketX Photo Contacts Pro
Microsoft Live Search
GPSToday
Sprite Backup
Skyfire
FdcSoft TaskMgr
nakka nOpen

MoonZ*BabysH 02-26-2009 04:44 PM

Re: Sudden slowdown on TP

if you search the web on it try deleting the Cache from your browsers. sometimes somthing small lik that will be the problem with it slowing down.

chronster 02-26-2009 04:52 PM

Something could be auto updating its self, and this update might cause a lag. Things I dont have on my TP are:

TELUS Mobile Email
PocketX Photo Contacts Pro
GPSToday
Sprite Backup
FdcSoft TaskMgr
nakka nOpen

Try living without these for 10 days and see what happens.

CozBoogie 02-26-2009 05:51 PM

You also may want to get either MemMaid or SKTools. Both will clean up debris left from surfing the net and both offer multiple tweaks to change system performance and appearance.

Google them or look for them in the Software Forum or in this forum.

late,
Coz

gravitron 02-26-2009 05:58 PM

My issues aren't just web-related, they're all over the map. It's as if some critical process or DLL is completely screwed up.

Just now, Task Manager jams as it's starting up (so I can't see if anything is eating up CPU cycles), then the phone set itself to airplane mode on its own then refused to connect to the phone network when I dialed out and throughout all this ActiveSync won't connect.

Yet, I'm sure that as soon as I restore from a backup, all will function quite nicely, apart from lost Text Messages.

CozBoogie 02-26-2009 06:43 PM

Backup your important data (e.g., contacts, calendar, emails, etc.). Then do a hard reset. Ensure that you don't have the problem. Then add your 3rd party apps one at a time. After each installation ensure that you don't have the slowdown, etc. Repeat for each application one-by-one. This can be a long process, but it's worth it.

After all your 3rd party partys apps are installed go ahead and restore your contacts, etc.

late,
Coz

ACoolGuy 02-26-2009 07:05 PM

+1 for Memmaid. Its an awesome little tool that is capable of recovering RAM which windows 'thinks' is in use. Plus good for clearing up all the clutter in the file system and the registry.

chronster 02-26-2009 07:46 PM

I've seen registry defraggers for PC, is there anything like that for wm?

CozBoogie 02-26-2009 07:53 PM

SKTools will clean up invalid registry enteries and values.

late,
Coz