PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Touch Pro Backup Applications/Software (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=59278)

CozBoogie 02-26-2009 02:13 PM

Touch Pro Backup Applications/Software

All:
In the interest of trying to reduce the number of threads started to discuss the various backup applications available to you Touch Pro users, let's contain all of the discussions in this one thread please and thank you!!!

Any threads started outside of this thread will be merged into this thread. Additionally, you can find discussions regarding backup software in the Software Forum as well.

Thanks,
Coz

MoonZ*BabysH 02-26-2009 02:16 PM

Re: Touch Pro Backup Applications/Software

i Love PIM back up for the normal back up ,(contacts, call history, text, emails,ect.)

CozBoogie 02-26-2009 02:18 PM

Here are a few to get you started:

Dashwire
SPB Backup
HTC Backup

late,
Coz

Cicatrize 02-26-2009 02:30 PM

Backup Manila crap?

I already use UC along with XML provisioning to restore all my reg edits and programs, and I use PIM backup for everything else, but is there some way to backup stuff in Manila like the contacts on the people tab and the programs on the programs tab?

Oxymoron238 02-26-2009 02:36 PM

Re: Backup Manila crap?

You can just uuse SBP Backup. It backs up everything from registry keys to Manila stuff.

CozBoogie 02-26-2009 02:44 PM

Threads merged.

late,
Coz

jmorton10 02-26-2009 02:49 PM

When I extensively tested all the BU software available, I had SPB fail at least 50% of the time in my TouchPro's (It was 100% reliable in my old Titan/Mogul's)

Some other posters had similar results:

SEE HERE

The latest version of Sprite has been virtually perfect for me however.

Resco also works well if you ignore occasional errors.

~John

MoonZ*BabysH 02-26-2009 02:50 PM

sorry forgot to put up the .Cab for PIM
Edit: i cant seem to get the upload feature to work.
Edit: Coz got it in the post below.

CozBoogie 02-26-2009 02:53 PM

Here's the link for PIM Backup.

late,
Coz

InvincibleLiving 02-26-2009 03:24 PM

PIM and SPB are the perfect combo for me... oh not to forget sashimi of course...

kphillips 02-26-2009 03:59 PM

I have a question pm using the PIM Backup. I want to set it to automatically backup. I ahve selected aal that i want to backup.on the next screen it gives the option to schedule. I am confused on wht to select. Can someone please help me with the settings on this screen?
Thanks

InvincibleLiving 02-26-2009 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kphillips (Post 740710)
I have a question pm using the PIM Backup. I want to set it to automatically backup. I ahve selected aal that i want to backup.on the next screen it gives the option to schedule. I am confused on wht to select. Can someone please help me with the settings on this screen?
Thanks

press the schedule button... select what days you want it to automate... select the time you want it to automate for those days... MAKE SURE YOU HIT "Validate"... boom you're done.

Biggzz 02-26-2009 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cozboogie (Post 740475)
Here are a few to get you started:

Dashwire
SPB Backup
HTC Backup

late,
Coz

Anyone actually get htcbackup to work? Some have said yes but never explained how.

chronster 02-27-2009 12:22 PM

Replacement for WM menus discussed here:
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...399#post726399

I hate to look like I'm pushing this on everyone too hard, but really it's one of the most useful apps I've ever found for WM. I would constantly hit the wrong items in menus with my thumbs going down the road, but after installing this, I can select the right menu option on my first attempt.

tx_jaycee 02-27-2009 02:11 PM

Flexilis and Microsoft My Phone Beta both do backups as well.

AB33 02-27-2009 02:43 PM

I started with SPB Back Up 1.0 on the Mogul and then upgraded to 2.0 then bought the TouchPro. The SPB Backup 2.0 allows you to back up your phone while connected to the computer, it saves a copy on your memory card and the computer. I notice the back up process is much smoother and faster when I do it that way.

coolwhip1220 03-01-2009 07:48 AM

I've used sprite backup many times and like it.

TreyBeno 03-01-2009 10:22 AM

I have to vote for SPB as well. Althiugh there does seem to be a glitch in the ROM urgrade mode. It usually takes about 5 minutes to restore but sometimes it will hang about half way through. If its not done in 5 minutes i cancel it and then it does it again flawlessly. Weird but its the only glitch ive had so far. Sprite seems to come with a better bundle package as u can get the Terminator tracking program and such too.

HBOOT 03-02-2009 08:52 PM

I use all 3 all the times..Resco is my number 1, Spb comes second and Sprite as number 3:mrgreen:

Here is a shootout link:
http://www.mytodayscreen.com/the-bac...-will-triumph/

Gadjetguy 03-02-2009 10:45 PM

If I backup using SPB and then flash a different ROM, can I still restore all my programs to the new ROM?

Thanks!

Mike

Decidion 03-03-2009 07:12 AM

Ive been using SPB Backup for a couple of months now and have seen some problems. It backs up my HTC Touch Pro with no problems, but restoring is another issue. 50% of the time, the restore fails. I have noticed that if I try and restore the same backup again (after the failure), sometimes it actually works and I get a working restore, sometimes it doesn't. I have also read of others having similar problems here and there.

If I were to do it again, I would buy Sprite, not SPB Backup. I know a bunch of people here love SPB backup, but how many have done more than one or two restores? If you are looking into backup software, and are considering SBP Backup, I suggest you check out their troubleshooting forums... it may change your mind.

http://www.spbclub.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=34

jmorton10 03-03-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decidion (Post 750353)
Ive been using SPB Backup for a couple of months now and have seen some problems. It backs up my HTC Touch Pro with no problems, but restoring is another issue. 50% of the time, the restore fails.

That is exactly what I found also. I tested the hell out of SPB/Sprite/Resco etc etc by hard resetting & then restoring BU files from all these programs to my TouchPro.

Although SPB always worked great in my old Titans, it fails on restore at least 50% of the time in my TP.

Sprite on the other hand, has not failed me yet.

~John

Biggzz 03-03-2009 03:55 PM

I still want someone to tell me how they got a full restore from htc backup. A few have said it worked but have not said how so i doubt that it does work.

ronaldheld 03-09-2009 08:46 AM

Best backup program

Since I use Gmail and not Outlook, what do you suggest for a backup program for my calendar, contacts, settings, etc?

shaggylive 03-09-2009 08:52 AM

Re: Best backup program

well, gmail will do the calendar and contacts now.

Darkness231 03-09-2009 08:57 AM

PPCPIMBackup

There is a stickied thread about the backup programs
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=59278

kyle4269 03-09-2009 09:03 AM

I use SPB backup but its not free.

InvincibleLiving 03-09-2009 12:44 PM

spb, pim and sashimi is the trifecta for me... ive got my backups and retores totally automated now...

rstoyguy 03-09-2009 12:45 PM

I use calcu's kitchen, Ervius's Package creator, and pimbackup. :)

CozBoogie 03-09-2009 01:26 PM

Threads merged.

late,
Coz

ronaldheld 03-09-2009 02:13 PM

I have not read enough posts, to know whether to get SPB or Sprite. Since I am not to the stage of installing cooked ROMS, I expect to do total backups with occasional partial restores.

InvincibleLiving 03-10-2009 05:46 PM

they're both excellent... sprite i'd say is more exhaustive... spb is very quick and easy. I use spb because a friend purchased it for me lol...

jmorton10 03-10-2009 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronaldheld (Post 761364)
I have not read enough posts, to know whether to get SPB or Sprite. Since I am not to the stage of installing cooked ROMS, I expect to do total backups with occasional partial restores.

Go back & read posts 21 & 22.

If you're swapping ROM's you definitely don't want to use SPB (at least not a TouchPro, in the older Titan/Moguls either one works fine)

~John

shaggylive 03-10-2009 07:26 PM

yup, I just bought the HTC upgrade special Sprite is running, backup & terminator for $20, can't beat that.

ronaldheld 03-11-2009 07:49 AM

It sounds like I should buy Sprite(or at least try it out first).

Tuffgong4 03-11-2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautica2450 (Post 761204)
spb, pim and sashimi is the trifecta for me... ive got my backups and retores totally automated now...

Have you created any tutorials? I only need a way to back up my gmail settings (not contacts or calendars) and I use PIM to backup and restore everything else...Sashimi seems like a daunting task and all I need is gmail account settings to be exported and imported.

rdavidsmith 03-11-2009 12:31 PM

I used Resco on my Touch I and it worked ok although I did get more corrupted backup files than I would like. And of coures good ol PIM back up. Once I got my TP it came with Sprite loaded in the ATT ROM and it works great for what i need along with Vufone for cloud based backup.

InvincibleLiving 03-11-2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuffgong4 (Post 765034)
Have you created any tutorials? I only need a way to back up my gmail settings (not contacts or calendars) and I use PIM to backup and restore everything else...Sashimi seems like a daunting task and all I need is gmail account settings to be exported and imported.

I actually use PIM for my contact, calendar, text and email backups. as for sashimi there are really good video tutorials on youtube, that's how i learned the ropes. there's a basic, int, and advanced tutorial.

Tuffgong4 03-11-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautica2450 (Post 766003)
I actually use PIM for my contact, calendar, text and email backups. as for sashimi there are really good video tutorials on youtube, that's how i learned the ropes. there's a basic, int, and advanced tutorial.

thanks a ton.

InvincibleLiving 03-12-2009 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuffgong4 (Post 766571)
thanks a ton.

no prob dude.