PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro cdma
Carrier: sprint

flintduncan is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Video Call?

I'm new to the forum, and so while I didn't see anything posted about this, I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere and I'll be able to get some information..

When in devo, the HTC TP was described as having that secondary front side camera for video calls and chat. When sprint had their news release, it also mentioned this feature. Now, I am well aware sprint themselves do not support the video call, but I can't find any reference to this camera's functionality anywhere in the manual, in forums, anything. Calling Customer Service is, surprise surprise, not particularly helpful, all they can say is that they don't support the video calls. I know skype mobile, for example, doesn't do video, but that doesn't mean programs that do aren't out there.

My question is simply this.. Did they strip out that camera or is it still there? And if it is, anyone know how to access it for use in any way at all?

Thanks a lot.. If I did mispost this, feel free to send me a PM and direct me where to ask. Otherwise, I look forward to some real help soon.
Flint
Old 02-21-2009, 07:47 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO3D
Carrier: Sprint 4g Dallas

dallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regulardallas contractor is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Video Call?

No camera in front for video call, it was not put in by Sprint. Sprint and the other carriers have their own specs for the same phone, Their is more than one TPversion, Verizon has less memory for example.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Sprint EVO
Carrier: EPRP 500

stevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on repstevedusa is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Ain't gonna happen anytime soon even with the front camera.

Reason? Well when you are on the voice call the phone uses 1xRTT channel while when you are using data (video streaming in our case) it uses EvDO channel.

HOWEVER, as for now the CANNOT be used at the SAME time. Unlike the GSM counterpart where it is very easy to be done, we the CDMA folks has to either wait or just move to VoIP altogether where it only uses EvDO.

Hope I explained myself clear.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:56 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Mogul

DaRedLight is becoming a great contributor

Try iVisit it's Free Trial. You may like it.
www.ivisit.com
Attached Files
File Type: zip iVisit mobile v4.0.zip (1.90 MB, 25 views) Click for barcode!
Old 02-22-2009, 01:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: bell

ryallchild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularryallchild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularryallchild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularryallchild is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to ryallchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevedusa View Post
Ain't gonna happen anytime soon even with the front camera.

Reason? Well when you are on the voice call the phone uses 1xRTT channel while when you are using data (video streaming in our case) it uses EvDO channel.

HOWEVER, as for now the CANNOT be used at the SAME time. Unlike the GSM counterpart where it is very easy to be done, we the CDMA folks has to either wait or just move to VoIP altogether where it only uses EvDO.

Hope I explained myself clear.
i agree but we do have wifi which would work so the 2nd camera wouldnt go to waste
Old 02-22-2009, 01:04 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: bell

ryallchild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularryallchild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularryallchild is becoming a PPCGeeks regularryallchild is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to ryallchild

also this works as long as your connected via wifi, and its not all that bad if you use a blutooth headset http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windowsmobile/
Old 02-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: htc touch pro cdma
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

flintduncan is a n00b

Well.. All this is well and good, but not quite helpful. First, I'm well aware of the various versions. I have the individualized specs for all of them in terms of hardware and capability bookmarked. None of them mention the 2nd camera in hardware, but all release info talks about the capacity, as in the phone's ability in itself, to handle video calls with a 2nd camera. I'm not asking if sprint will support it.

I wasn't aware of the channel issue, so I guess that takes care of video calls, but in programs such as skype (though not skype specifically, despite someone's link I can confirm that mobile skype does not do video), is this camera even intact and usable, or is it completely stripped out? That's the question. Does the camera remain intact and functional for any intrepid user to figure out how to activate it, or is it a nonfactor?
Flint
Old 02-22-2009, 07:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

kevinbob8 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintduncan View Post
Well.. All this is well and good, but not quite helpful. First, I'm well aware of the various versions. I have the individualized specs for all of them in terms of hardware and capability bookmarked. None of them mention the 2nd camera in hardware, but all release info talks about the capacity, as in the phone's ability in itself, to handle video calls with a 2nd camera. I'm not asking if sprint will support it.

I wasn't aware of the channel issue, so I guess that takes care of video calls, but in programs such as skype (though not skype specifically, despite someone's link I can confirm that mobile skype does not do video), is this camera even intact and usable, or is it completely stripped out? That's the question. Does the camera remain intact and functional for any intrepid user to figure out how to activate it, or is it a nonfactor?
Flint
Seriously there's no second camera on the Sprint version. Certainly not one that's visible and I cannot imagine and I'm nearly certain there is photographic proof that it is not hiding under the casing or something ridiculous like that.

No second camera.

Boom.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

gimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargimme5 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to gimme5

As Dallas Contractor said, there is no camera in front.

MobileSpeedtest.com (yes, that's my site)
Old 02-22-2009, 08:12 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Mogul and Touch Pro

crazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcrazychef is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via MSN to crazychef Send a message via Skype™ to crazychef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryallchild View Post
also this works as long as your connected via wifi, and its not all that bad if you use a blutooth headset http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windowsmobile/
video calls from skype would cost money anyways wouldnt it? well maybe not if u were both skype... and skype v2.5gold, doesnt need wifi to run, and works phenominally just off data...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintduncan View Post

Flint
first, ive never seen or heard ANY CARRIERS TP having a front side camera, but matbe in the early days they thought they would and decided against it..

so u just want them to be able to see and hear you?? because a front side cam for them to view you, doesnt have anything to do with the software it takes for you to few them... so if your not worried about not seeing them, and not seeing yurself(if on the go) i reccomend "qik"

this is just a live feed into qik site for others to view by simply going to qik.com/yourusernamehere.. you set the app on your phone up login in and click "live" and they can view you, you dont need any cable or even a comp to use it on your end, just run the app...

i know your looking for more a "true vid call" solution but hey, its visual, its audio.. its really more of a webcam type solution though i guess
"Lose?..I Dont Lose!.....I Win.....I Win.....Im a Lawyer, Thats My Job and Thats What I Do" -Keanu Reeves "Devils Advocate"

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro