PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Video Call? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=58686)

flintduncan 02-21-2009 06:00 PM

Video Call?

I'm new to the forum, and so while I didn't see anything posted about this, I'm sure it's been discussed somewhere and I'll be able to get some information..

When in devo, the HTC TP was described as having that secondary front side camera for video calls and chat. When sprint had their news release, it also mentioned this feature. Now, I am well aware sprint themselves do not support the video call, but I can't find any reference to this camera's functionality anywhere in the manual, in forums, anything. Calling Customer Service is, surprise surprise, not particularly helpful, all they can say is that they don't support the video calls. I know skype mobile, for example, doesn't do video, but that doesn't mean programs that do aren't out there.

My question is simply this.. Did they strip out that camera or is it still there? And if it is, anyone know how to access it for use in any way at all?

Thanks a lot.. If I did mispost this, feel free to send me a PM and direct me where to ask. Otherwise, I look forward to some real help soon.
Flint

dallas contractor 02-21-2009 07:47 PM

Re: Video Call?

No camera in front for video call, it was not put in by Sprint. Sprint and the other carriers have their own specs for the same phone, Their is more than one TPversion, Verizon has less memory for example.

stevedusa 02-22-2009 12:09 AM

Ain't gonna happen anytime soon even with the front camera.

Reason? Well when you are on the voice call the phone uses 1xRTT channel while when you are using data (video streaming in our case) it uses EvDO channel.

HOWEVER, as for now the CANNOT be used at the SAME time. Unlike the GSM counterpart where it is very easy to be done, we the CDMA folks has to either wait or just move to VoIP altogether where it only uses EvDO.

Hope I explained myself clear.

DaRedLight 02-22-2009 12:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Try iVisit it's Free Trial. You may like it.
www.ivisit.com

ryallchild 02-22-2009 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevedusa (Post 729095)
Ain't gonna happen anytime soon even with the front camera.

Reason? Well when you are on the voice call the phone uses 1xRTT channel while when you are using data (video streaming in our case) it uses EvDO channel.

HOWEVER, as for now the CANNOT be used at the SAME time. Unlike the GSM counterpart where it is very easy to be done, we the CDMA folks has to either wait or just move to VoIP altogether where it only uses EvDO.

Hope I explained myself clear.

i agree but we do have wifi which would work so the 2nd camera wouldnt go to waste

ryallchild 02-22-2009 01:04 AM

also this works as long as your connected via wifi, and its not all that bad if you use a blutooth headset http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windowsmobile/

flintduncan 02-22-2009 07:54 PM

Well.. All this is well and good, but not quite helpful. First, I'm well aware of the various versions. I have the individualized specs for all of them in terms of hardware and capability bookmarked. None of them mention the 2nd camera in hardware, but all release info talks about the capacity, as in the phone's ability in itself, to handle video calls with a 2nd camera. I'm not asking if sprint will support it.

I wasn't aware of the channel issue, so I guess that takes care of video calls, but in programs such as skype (though not skype specifically, despite someone's link I can confirm that mobile skype does not do video), is this camera even intact and usable, or is it completely stripped out? That's the question. Does the camera remain intact and functional for any intrepid user to figure out how to activate it, or is it a nonfactor?
Flint

kevinbob8 02-22-2009 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flintduncan (Post 730696)
Well.. All this is well and good, but not quite helpful. First, I'm well aware of the various versions. I have the individualized specs for all of them in terms of hardware and capability bookmarked. None of them mention the 2nd camera in hardware, but all release info talks about the capacity, as in the phone's ability in itself, to handle video calls with a 2nd camera. I'm not asking if sprint will support it.

I wasn't aware of the channel issue, so I guess that takes care of video calls, but in programs such as skype (though not skype specifically, despite someone's link I can confirm that mobile skype does not do video), is this camera even intact and usable, or is it completely stripped out? That's the question. Does the camera remain intact and functional for any intrepid user to figure out how to activate it, or is it a nonfactor?
Flint

Seriously there's no second camera on the Sprint version. Certainly not one that's visible and I cannot imagine and I'm nearly certain there is photographic proof that it is not hiding under the casing or something ridiculous like that.

No second camera.

Boom.

gimme5 02-22-2009 08:00 PM

As Dallas Contractor said, there is no camera in front.

crazychef 02-22-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryallchild (Post 729226)
also this works as long as your connected via wifi, and its not all that bad if you use a blutooth headset http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windowsmobile/

video calls from skype would cost money anyways wouldnt it? well maybe not if u were both skype... and skype v2.5gold, doesnt need wifi to run, and works phenominally just off data...

Quote:

Originally Posted by flintduncan (Post 730696)

Flint

first, ive never seen or heard ANY CARRIERS TP having a front side camera, but matbe in the early days they thought they would and decided against it..

so u just want them to be able to see and hear you?? because a front side cam for them to view you, doesnt have anything to do with the software it takes for you to few them... so if your not worried about not seeing them, and not seeing yurself(if on the go) i reccomend "qik"

this is just a live feed into qik site for others to view by simply going to qik.com/yourusernamehere.. you set the app on your phone up login in and click "live" and they can view you, you dont need any cable or even a comp to use it on your end, just run the app...

i know your looking for more a "true vid call" solution but hey, its visual, its audio.. its really more of a webcam type solution though i guess