PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Registry Edit Error! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=58671)

vtective 02-21-2009 02:34 PM

Registry Edit Error!

I was going through the Touch Pro Essential thread, and trying to make some of changes to speed up TF3d. Unfortunately, I made an error when making a change in the registry. Now the phone powers on, but the screen and all hardware button are completely unresponsive.

I renamed a folder, and realized this, but it did not cause any harm to my phone... until I restarted it. I renamed a file in HKCU to just "S". I'm not sure what the file was called before, or how to fix the touch pro now.

Please help!

speck 02-21-2009 02:35 PM

Re: Registry Edit Error!

What's the path to the folder now named 'S'? --

edit - I'm sorry - I read closer and realized you might not be able to find that out - are you saying you can't do anything on the phone? How far does it get when you reset?

vtective 02-21-2009 02:46 PM

It gets to the regular today screen. The path to the folder though, was registry\HKCU. I am going to use the registry editor on my computer to make the changes I need. I am not sure what the folder should be named though. The folders currently in HKCu are:

COMM
ControlPanel
Keyboard layout
MUI
Performance
"S"
Secruity
Software
Start
System

Can you tell me what is missing and I what I should rename the S folder?

Merdinh 02-21-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vtective (Post 727949)
I was going through the Touch Pro Essential thread, and trying to make some of changes to speed up TF3d. Unfortunately, I made an error when making a change in the registry. Now the phone powers on, but the screen and all hardware button are completely unresponsive.

I renamed a folder, and realized this, but it did not cause any harm to my phone... until I restarted it. I renamed a file in HKCU to just "S". I'm not sure what the file was called before, or how to fix the touch pro now.

Please help!

You will have to Hardware reset your phone, by Holding down the power button + Volume down key + the Circle center hardware button, all together, and then press the Reset button on the bottom of your phone, but do not release any of the buttons, then a screen should pop up with directions, just follow those directions on how to hardware reset, and you should be good to go.

speck 02-21-2009 02:53 PM

Those are all the folders I have under HKCU (without the 'S'). What keys are in the folder?

vtective 02-21-2009 03:01 PM

Some of the keys are...
Adobe
Aidem Systems
Astraware
Handmark
HTC

Thanks for checking this out!

speck 02-21-2009 03:07 PM

OK - that looks like my 'Software' folder, so if these are under your 'S', what's under your 'Software' folder. Maybe you accidentally renamed 'Software' itself, and then when you reset, a new 'Software' folder (with minimal, if any, info) was automatically created. (wild hopeful guess)

vtective 02-21-2009 03:27 PM

I think you're right. I moved the contents of the S folder to the software folder. Unfortunately I had no luck. I think I might have to hardware reset it. Thanks.

speck 02-21-2009 03:30 PM

No problem. Was anything under your 'Software' folder though? Did you try renaming Software to 'SW' (or anything) and then 'S' to 'Software'?

Good luck!

edit: Remember you have to soft reset to tell if the changes work.