PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Sound Decibel Meter (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=58666)

LoneSnark 02-21-2009 01:42 PM

Sound Decibel Meter

Does an application exist that would use the microphone of the Touch Pro to give a decibel reading of any sort (peak, average, etc)? Thants !!!

I searched all forums and found two references. One to an application that did not work as it was written for I think the first PPC, and one to 4Pockets RTA Pro which would presumably work, but costs $45 and does far more than I need. Is there a cheaper or even freeware option that is known to this forum?

stevedusa 02-21-2009 01:52 PM

Re: Sound Decibel Meter

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneSnark (Post 727849)
Does an application exist that would use the microphone of the Touch Pro to give a decibel reading of any sort (peak, average, etc)? Thants !!!

I searched all forums and found two references. One to an application that did not work as it was written for I think the first PPC, and one to 4Pockets RTA Pro which would presumably work, but costs $45 and does far more than I need. Is there a cheaper or even freeware option that is known to this forum?

Let me be honest to you, the PocketRTA does NOT work on TP, nor my Mogul for that matter. For some reason it does not like WM 6 and up. WM 5 is fine though.

It does cost a lot but a good and dedicated meter would be better in a long run. Besides, the TP's microphone isn't sensitive enough in both the dynamic range and pressure level.

It's good for fun though, but not very practical.

crazychef 02-21-2009 02:18 PM

just curious what u need this for? i wish i had a solution for ya.. i could use something like this.. i get pulled over alot for my stereo, but the law states 60decibles is the noise ordiance max ... i always get out of the tickets because they never have an instrument to measure decible level, so how can u say my musics too loud if u cant tell me its over the legal limit....works everytime.... alot of my friends do Bass Competitions, this would b a neat little asset 1) to laugh at the cops a little more 2) to help my friends out

prochobo 02-21-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazychef (Post 727923)
just curious what u need this for? i wish i had a solution for ya.. i could use something like this.. i get pulled over alot for my stereo, but the law states 60decibles is the noise ordiance max ... i always get out of the tickets because they never have an instrument to measure decible level, so how can u say my musics too loud if u cant tell me its over the legal limit....works everytime.... alot of my friends do Bass Competitions, this would b a neat little asset 1) to laugh at the cops a little more 2) to help my friends out

You heard something wrong somewhere because ambient noise is about 80-90dB.

nuzzle 02-21-2009 05:26 PM

this would actually come in hand with my job. I install security systems, and we have to make sure the sound of the sirens is at 85dB at the pillow of your bed.

Amutek 07-18-2009 06:05 PM

I need one for measuring motorcycle exhaust sould levels.
I am in a motorcycle rights group.

Mylt1 07-18-2009 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prochobo (Post 727948)
You heard something wrong somewhere because ambient noise is about 80-90dB.

UMMM, NO, it isnt. normal speech is 55-65DB's 95DB's would be a gas mower. ambient noise isnt louder than a normal conversation.

Mylt1 07-18-2009 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amutek (Post 1044268)
I need one for measuring motorcycle exhaust sould levels.
I am in a motorcycle rights group.

radio shack sells a nice one that isnt that expensive and people would trust a true meter more than a toy on a phone.

ahuskins 07-19-2009 01:28 AM

OK, This is pretty funny and coincidental in a way but not a solution as the software is for the iPhone.
http://gizmodo.com/5317347/the-week-...yline=true&s=i
Scroll down to the Snore Patrol App.
Nuzzle, I guess you need to make a trip to the Apple store. Funny!

Asphyx 07-19-2009 01:37 AM

I have seen a spectrum analyzer which could also read out DB...
It was very old though...Maqybe two years old and I would not think you would get a very accurate reading anyway...Those things need to be calibrated properly.