PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 09:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vouge and titan

robby37 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Windows Os Ram

Why does the os use 70 mb with 0 page pool and leave like 217 free or 210 i cant remember meanwhile on my mogul it only use 18 mb including pagepool and on my touch it used like 24 including pagepool i understand touchflo 3d takes ram but that ram is after windows loads and is part of the used avail memory. So my point is if windows shows 80 megs used in settimgs the what is the other 70 mb getting used for.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:21 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: Windows Os Ram

does anyone have any info on what is using so much ram meanwhile i ran a mogul on a 6.1 rom with touchflo and it had 21 free at boot i dont get how we idle using more ram then comes on my mogul or even close to what comes on touch actually ya more then what comes on my vouge
Old 02-18-2009, 05:25 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Sprint 4G Network

Deimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on repDeimoss is halfway to VIP status based on rep

qvga vs vga ?
Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 AM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby37 View Post
So my point is if windows shows 80 megs used in settimgs the what is the other 70 mb getting used for.
Underpants Store.

Seriously, Winblows allocates some % of total ram and just squats on it. Only Redmond knows why for sure.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:16 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Moved to the general Touch Pro Forum.

late,
Coz
Old 02-18-2009, 09:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Underpants Store.

Seriously, Winblows allocates some % of total ram and just squats on it. Only Redmond knows why for sure.
What i am wondering if someone who cooks the rom and is porting xips could see why on a verizon rom less is taken then when on a sprint or if they could port a regular touch rom with jus the vga drivers or what is needed for the touch pro since i know cross platform is possible ex being kaiser to mogul and see if it has alot more free memory
Old 02-19-2009, 09:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I am really surprized i am the only one who is interested well if anyone care i am going to attempt to port a mogul rom and then slowly add the features in to like gsensor and so on and see what eats the ram
Old 02-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robby37 View Post
I am really surprized i am the only one who is interested well if anyone care i am going to attempt to port a mogul rom and then slowly add the features in to like gsensor and so on and see what eats the ram
Because 203MB of RAM is more than enough for everyone.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm85 View Post
Because 203MB of RAM is more than enough for everyone.
What your not getting tho is i dont run out of ram but and a very large but whatever that ram is doing is def using cpu cycles one way or another its not just doing nothing and i am wondering why and as of now 203 is enough 32 mb pagepool and when hw accel starts becoming more common and ram is being dedicated to framebuffer and textures and that unlimited ram won't be so unlimited and last but not least just because our processor clocks higher doesn't mean it isn't a more efficient stepping battery life coud very well be attributed to extra ram being used as much as ram takes a certain amount of power no matter what using the bus uses more power and using the ram does take more power i don;t care who says it doesn't i run watercooled dimms on my pc because i overclock and when i run stability torture tests my ram heats up so it does use more to read and write to the ram and their is leakage associated with holding values it is the nature of a transistor so in the end lowering ram usage would/should result in less cpu usage more responsive "less threads" and a longer battery life notice most loaded roms kill battery faster and bigger page pool usually does affect battery life reading from flash takes less power and cpu cycles then ram to cache back to ram it may be faster but it has to make extra trip across bus instead of straight dma transfer sorry for long post.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

gbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargbm85 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I certainly won't argue with you regarding battery life being affected by RAM but I will share a couple of things with you.

* Yes, the CPU does have to stop for a RAM "refresh" every n number of cycles. RAM is volatile, meaning that it cannot hold a value for very long. A RAM refresh is where a current is sent through the RAM that allows it to hold its state. However, this is done to all the RAM every time, so the amount of "used" RAM does not change how long it takes or how much power it uses. Power use is only affected by the total size of RAM (used or not) and the number of writes to RAM.
* Just because the OS is reserving that much does not mean it is using that much.
* Obviously the amount of RAM we have now will not be enough in the future. But I seriously expect that by the time we reach that point, the Touch Pro will be obsolete anyway.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro