PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Account Disabled
Pocket PC: HTC Shooter/Schubert 32GB
Carrier: T-Mobile

Dr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation levelDr.8820 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: For the noobs like me

welcome to the battlefield soldier!
Old 02-18-2009, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: VZW

jsntrenkler is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

I keep all my cabs as well as registration codes together both on the SD Card as well as a backup on my mac. I have also started a word doc with all the registry changes that I have made, I keep this in the same folder. That way if I have to replace my device, or hard reset it would be pretty easy to get things back to normal quickly.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:43 PM
Jedi Master
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

Darkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on repDarkjedi is halfway to VIP status based on rep

hahah, looks like we all do the same thing! I keep all my .cabs on a SD card and in a backup folder on my PC just in case I lose my entire phone. I keep a copy of my texts backups and such as well. If I ever need to hard reset, I just go into my SD card and go down the file list of cabs and install each one I need.

Come to think of it, I had trouble figuring out how to install .cabs when I first got my first winmo phone, the XV6700. For the longest time I only installed .exe files to the computer. Then I stumbled upon a pda forum which mods and such and I think I remember one stating to copy the .cab into your phone and run it. Its second-nature by now, hahah. Now I almost never install a .exe to my computer because I don't like dealing with the extra registry entries and shortcuts and the uninstaller. .cabs are the way to go!
Old 02-18-2009, 02:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

gorillaguzzler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargorillaguzzler is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargorillaguzzler is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I like to keep all my cabs on my sd card and i sort them into folders by importance. that way if i have to do a hard reset when time is short i can install the important stuff and not have to look through the fun stuff until i have time.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

You should sign up on the ppc repository and add this info onto it so it's easy to find! :P

I've been lazy and haven't worked on it but i'll get around to it when i'm not so busy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgsideTiger View Post
okay, so this is my first post and i am really excited right now. not because of the actual post, but i have finally figured out EXACTLY HOW TO INSTALL THE CAB FILES. i have read and read and read and read, but no one was actually saying where to put the cab files after u download them. now i am not stupid, and i am pretty computer smart, i think that the problem was comming down to im not as tech as alot of u guys. so for anyone else having the same problem installing the cab files....here u go!!!!!

so step 1 would be to find the cab that u want to download. there are a ton. i had been trying to download some new fonts, not big files, so fast and easy. one of the big mistakes is that when i finished downloading, they looked exactly the same as a zipped file. so i was unzipping them and putting them in my phone that way. well it wont work. trust me.

u need to put the zipped-looking file directly in your phone as is. do not unzip it or anything. just put it in. i actually made a folder in the start menu and labeled it to install.

so once the file is in, take your phone and go to the files location. u will notice that it doesnt look like a zipped file anymore. just click on it and it will automaticly do its thing!!!!! just do a soft reset, and your good to go!!!!!

i really hope this helps someone, i honestly could have used something like this about 3 hours ago. i had almost givin up, but just came across it by accident. i dont know if this post is in the right place, but dont delete, just move it if u have 2

Make sure you donate to those who spend countless hours improving your PPC/android experience!
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:13 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC TOUCH PRO
Carrier: ALLTEL

lalaa is a n00b

Thank You for posting this! Can you give a step by step on how you change the theme and icons? What is needed etc. Thanks!
Old 03-09-2009, 03:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Threadstarter

BurgsideTiger is keeping up the good workBurgsideTiger is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalaa View Post
Thank You for posting this! Can you give a step by step on how you change the theme and icons? What is needed etc. Thanks!

hey, sorry its been awhile since i have been on here, school is a pain.

your welcome, i just wanted to kinda dumb this down for people like me. i have a hard time with some of this stuff, mostly because my attention to detail isnt as good as i think that it is. i hope that you have figured this out already, but in case u havent, i can post you some links that will help.

the first link is going to teach you how to make a custom taskbar. i have not been able to perfect doing this on my own, but i have been successful at downloading the cab files that are needed to change the icons such as the battery, volume, wifi, ect. just read the 1st post very very closely, it wont take more then 3 mins to actually do it yourself. so here is the link : http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=54514

so the next link is going to show you how to change themes. now i honestly havent done this myself at all. i have changed my taskbar icons so that they are not boring, but my actual theme is stock, with some modifications such as getting rid of the top black bar where my phone says sprint, making my calander and call history icons almost transparent, ect. with that being said, i am not sure how easy or hard this is to do, but i do like the fact that other people have been doing the work, and making it easier for people like me to get the most out of our phones. so just read the first post in this thread, and then pick out a theme that you like, and follow the instructions. there are many more threads about changing your theme, but i have found this one to me the easiest to understand. so here is the link : http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=8211

like i said before, i just wanna thank all of the guys who have worked hard to come up with the themes and taskbar stuff. it really really makes my phone sexy, lol. just gives a better sense that its MY PHONE, its personallized. so if anyone goes to these threads that i posted the links to, make sure u give them a thanks, and let them know that it helped you out.

if anyone has any questions, feel free to post them here. i cant guarantee that i will know the answer, but im sure that i can find out, or that someone else will be able to help out as well.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo
Threadstarter

BurgsideTiger is keeping up the good workBurgsideTiger is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoBSD View Post
You should sign up on the ppc repository and add this info onto it so it's easy to find! :P

I've been lazy and haven't worked on it but i'll get around to it when i'm not so busy.

i have no idea what the ppc repository is, lol. noob, remember.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: sprint touch pro
Carrier: The Trilogy Signal Service

selders59 knows their stuffselders59 knows their stuffselders59 knows their stuffselders59 knows their stuffselders59 knows their stuffselders59 knows their stuffselders59 knows their stuff
Send a message via Yahoo to selders59

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulysses View Post
if i can add my $0.02, i keep everything i've installed in a folder on my computer, so when i flash, it's all in one place. but i'm sure most people here do the same?
I download cab's to my sd card then install them to my device. This way they are always on my card in case of a screw up. I made folder's for the different files also have them saved to my computer in labeled files.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Socrates Philosophy
Pocket PC: Evo3D

GhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuffGhettoBSD knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgsideTiger View Post
i have no idea what the ppc repository is, lol. noob, remember.
look at my signature and follow the link!

it's to help everyone out :P
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro