PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   no official wm6.5 on present phones? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=58138)

henbone11 02-17-2009 09:41 PM

no official wm6.5 on present phones?

was reading through engadget and saw one of their posts from MWC. Apparently MS has said that there will be no official rom updates to 6.5 for present phones. I am not worried about it because between here and xda, we will all be rockin this soon. but, no official support really sucks.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/16/m...ws-mobile-6-5/

"Sadly, Microsoft's saying that no devices in the market today will receive official 6.5 updates, but don't pull out your wallets just yet, though -- the first devices with Windows Mobile 6.5 preinstalled should be available in the fourth quarter of the year."

I just upgraded my phone in Dec, so upgrading again just to get an officially supported wm6.5 (when wm7 is due out next year) seems really stupid. That TP 2 does look good though. :)

schettj 02-17-2009 09:54 PM

Re: no official wm6.5 on present phones?

Yes, its odd isn't it.

"A Microsoft spokesperson said: We will continue the tradition of screwing our installed base of customers so our OEMs can squeeze another handset purchase out of the handful of them that do not abandon Windows Mobile for any of the far more compelling options available to them."

Pretty much that's how I read it. Not unlike the "No WM6 for the Apache" decision.

cannibalslug 02-17-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj (Post 719529)
Yes, its odd isn't it.

"A Microsoft spokesperson said: We will continue the tradition of screwing our installed base of customers so our OEMs can squeeze another handset purchase out of the handful of them that do not abandon Windows Mobile for any of the far more compelling options available to them."

Pretty much that's how I read it. Not unlike the "No WM6 for the Apache" decision.

=D> Right on!

MoonZ*BabysH 02-17-2009 09:58 PM

Would have at least thought they the phones using at least TF3D would get the update. kinda messed up on Microsofts part.:protest:

cannibalslug 02-17-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonzbabysh (Post 719539)
Would have at least thought they the phones using at least TF3D would get the update. kinda messed up on Microsofts part.:protest:

Have they ever really have a s*** about the consumer? Can't say i recall...:???:

Nimdock 02-17-2009 10:00 PM

Every time I start to like them a little they help me remember why I dislike them so much.

Silent_Patriot 02-17-2009 10:03 PM

Where in the hell is this CTIA I keep seeing commercial's on TV about? Lotta good they are doing us consumers when it comes to stuff like this - *sarcasm off*. If the TP is capable of running WM 6.5, then we should be allowed an official upgrade path to it.

gbm85 02-18-2009 12:42 AM

Actually a lot of WinMo updates have been made available to OEM's for little or even no cost. The reason a lot of OEM's don't incorporate them into ROM updates is because it is not always cost-effective. For example, let's say HTC projected that a WM6 upgrade for the Apache would cost $20,000 but would only generate $10,000 in additional sales... of course they're not gonna do it.

Also, WM6.5 will require that the phone have a dedicated hard button for bringing up the start menu "honey comb". Since the Touch Pro doesn't have that, it wouldn't be allowed official 6.5 anyway.

neilson 02-18-2009 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbm85 (Post 719881)
Actually a lot of WinMo updates have been made available to OEM's for little or even no cost. The reason a lot of OEM's don't incorporate them into ROM updates is because it is not always cost-effective. For example, let's say HTC projected that a WM6 upgrade for the Apache would cost $20,000 but would only generate $10,000 in additional sales... of course they're not gonna do it.

Also, WM6.5 will require that the phone have a dedicated hard button for bringing up the start menu "honey comb". Since the Touch Pro doesn't have that, it wouldn't be allowed official 6.5 anyway.

So? We'll just map a way for that button to work. After all, ROMs currently exist with WM 6.5 working on the Touch Pro(GSM and CDMA).

gbm85 02-18-2009 02:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neilson (Post 719894)
So? We'll just map a way for that button to work. After all, ROMs currently exist with WM 6.5 working on the Touch Pro(GSM and CDMA).

Well no crap there are and will be cooked 6.5 ROMs on the Touch Pro... this thread is about an official ROM upgrade.