PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 11:42 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vouge and titan
Threadstarter

robby37 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Windows Os Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm85 View Post
I certainly won't argue with you regarding battery life being affected by RAM but I will share a couple of things with you.

* Yes, the CPU does have to stop for a RAM "refresh" every n number of cycles. RAM is volatile, meaning that it cannot hold a value for very long. A RAM refresh is where a current is sent through the RAM that allows it to hold its state. However, this is done to all the RAM every time, so the amount of "used" RAM does not change how long it takes or how much power it uses. Power use is only affected by the total size of RAM (used or not) and the number of writes to RAM.
* Just because the OS is reserving that much does not mean it is using that much.
* Obviously the amount of RAM we have now will not be enough in the future. But I seriously expect that by the time we reach that point, the Touch Pro will be obsolete anyway.
Nothong you said is wrong but what i am referring to is extra reads and writes to the ram using battery that why i said i know the ram has a refresh to keep the cells active because of the leakage and if it is just reserve that is fine but i was under the impression the only thing reserved is by the os and caches that we set but what i am trying to figure out is why so much is hidden unless the only thing i can think of is if their is truly memory set aside for the imageon chipset and if thats the case then it really sucks that they designed that and didn't really implement the hw acceleration very well because then its just wasted memory but i appreciate someone giving me an intelligent response instead of just a 203 is enough

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro