PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Sprint "Titan" Java install EVIL (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=57384)

schettj 02-12-2009 10:09 AM

Sprint "Titan" Java install EVIL

I installed the Sprint Titan java thing a few days ago on my stock Sprint TP, and let me tell you that thing is evil.

It's a memory hog, and it consumes cpu cycles, and causes more battery drain, and slows the device down, and even makes the dotfred Task Manager freeze on startup.

Was driving me crazy trying to understand what happened to my nice TP... Started un-installing recently installed apps, and sure enough this one is THE culprit.

Unless you can tell me why you'd ever want it (there are better javas out there!) I suggest you stay far far away from this. If you have installed it just uninstall and soft reset. You'll be glad you did!

darnell 02-12-2009 11:14 AM

Just say NO to Titan.

I agree that Titan is no "titan". I was not going to post a comment, because I'm using the TF3D HD mod (on the stock Sprint ROM) and I figured that maybe the two simply had a conflict others might not encounter. But I installed Titan yesterday to run with Opera Mini. Titan caused my device to have 7% more program memory being used at startup, that's 7%, not 7MB! My TF3D kept restarting its self. Things simply were not running stable. And my Sprint Touch Pro with the stock ROM has always run stable.

I hard reset and restored the backup I made BEFORE installing Titan. All is well again.

Titan, yet another version 1.0 product that needs to be called BETA. No surprised it didn't come already installed with the stock Sprint ROM.

This is why I always typically try only installing at most one new product a day and run a backup before installing it. Along with a soft reset after install. That way, if things act up I have a pretty good idea what caused it.

nico4k 02-12-2009 06:15 PM

Re: Sprint "Titan" Java install EVIL

i agree...the most terrible app i have ever used!

shaun0207 02-12-2009 06:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Have you tried Jbed & Jblend?

schettj 02-12-2009 06:34 PM

Yep those are the ones I am using... sorry wasn't a general java topic, it was more of a "Run Screaming Away From Sprint Titan" topic ;)

I hunted this down this morning when I noticed the dotfred task manager couldn't even load up and give me a list of running processes. That can't be good...

shaun0207 02-12-2009 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj (Post 709710)
Yep those are the ones I am using... sorry wasn't a general java topic, it was more of a "Run Screaming Away From Sprint Titan" topic ;)

I hunted this down this morning when I noticed the dotfred task manager couldn't even load up and give me a list of running processes. That can't be good...

Oh. So those one I posted caused problems too? I used them up until recently but I haven't reinstalled them yet.

schettj 02-12-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaun0207 (Post 709728)
Oh. So those one I posted caused problems too? I used them up until recently but I haven't reinstalled them yet.

No, they're fine... it's JUST the TITAN Sprint thing that installs a bunch of crap services and otherwise causes issues. I had installed several different Java systems (h2 database in java - yes, it will run on the touch pro, no you don't want to use it :D) and one of them was the Titan stuff.

A few days later I noticed all these issues... finally had a moment to track it down. Titan.

The other Javas seem just fine.

hfxcastillo 11-06-2009 02:31 PM

can I install an alternative Java platform to replace Sprint Titan Manager, Question number 2, how can I remove Sprint Titan app from my HTC Touch Pro 2. Sorry for the simple questions but as you can see, I am fairly new to Windows Mobile