PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 05:42 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: 16GB iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

DaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuffDaPeeps knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to DaPeeps Send a message via Yahoo to DaPeeps Send a message via Skype™ to DaPeeps
Re: Setting up Remote Desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_j View Post
Do you at least change it from the default port (vnc = 5600)? From a security stand point the less you can have me finding with nmap is always the best.
<nods> Yes, I actually recently started changing it as I have used the default ports for years (5800 for the application and 5900 for the Java Viewer)...however latley I have been getting random connect requests from people who I guess are just scanning the ports. Never really had a problem with that until recently. I mean..I had UltraVNC configured to auto deny the requests...but still...its annoying, and potentially unsafe.

So yes, I do now change it to a custom port.

If I or someone else helps you out, don't just say thanks, click!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Verizon XV6900)
Carrier: Verizon

denasqu is keeping up the good workdenasqu is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to denasqu

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveoski View Post
Thanks you sooo much....it was the stupidest thing i didnt have a password set on my computer lol so it wouldnt let me in.. but nonetheless i followed your instructions and it works great!!!!
You're very welcome. I read the thread and saw that everybody was giving you good advice but I had a hunch you were not getting the whole picture. Networking stuff can make one insane!
Old 02-12-2009, 09:16 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch (Verizon XV6900)

denasqu is keeping up the good workdenasqu is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to denasqu

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper2008 View Post
I didnt have any problem using remote desktop, and I didnt have to open any special ports on my router, but the only issue I have was once you make it full screen, how do you get it back to not full screen without closing the app. Which then leaves a session open on your terminal server?
Options/Display/
check "Display the connection bar when in full screen mode"
Then go back to the General tab and Save!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

sovrce is just getting started

When I go to set up RDP on my laptop, it asks for "Computer" & "User Name". Well I think I found my Computer's name - when you go to System and click the Remote tab, it displays: 'Full Computer Name' - so I *think* I'm set there (right?) My problem is that for "User Name", when click the Start button, at the top it says "Administrator". So when I fired up RDP on my phone and filled out the information, it came back with:

"Cannot connect. Likely reasons are: 1. Specified computer name or IP does not exist 2. A network error occured while establishing a connection"

I will say that I HAVE checked the Firewall Exception box that allows for Remote Access and I have also allowed users to connect via remote access through my System window on the Remote tab. What I HAVEN'T done, however, is anything in the way of port forwarding for 3389. I'm more than familiar with networking and working with routers, so that's not my issue. My issue is, if I'm supposed to forward a port to my IP address, how can I do that when all I can change is the last number:

1 - Is my user name being 'Administrator' a problem?
2 - How do I forward the ports, or work with this end of RDP? I've read about the DNS, but don't know exactly how to go about doing it.

I've been in my router before and changed some settings for the Xbox, so I don't think that has to do with DHCP on my local machine here, but correct me if I'm wrong. My question/problem is that this is set to "Automatic Configuration - DHCP"...

...is this a problem? Do I need to change this at all, as in, get in contact with my ISP and go through this setup? Furthermore, if I DO end up having to change this, will it affect anything else on my network? Some people just said they checked the exceptions and logged in without configuring a DNS, so I'm wondering exactly what all I have left to change?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

dagnasty is keeping up the good workdagnasty is keeping up the good work

A couple questions for you sovrce. What OS are you running XP or Vista? Do you have a password to log into your account?

The forward you set up is forwarding to 192.168.1.0. That is probably what is causing the error you are getting. Your phone is attempting to come through the router on 3389 and your router is trying to go to 192.168.1.0 which is generally not a valid address. That address would represent the entire 192.168.1.x subnet. You will want to put the local address of the computer running RDP. You can get this by going to the start menu and clicking on the 'Run' command. In the DOS windows, type ipconfig and press enter. Your address will be listed under your ethernet adapter.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

eldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good work

Does anyone know how to fix the font issue with RD. seems like all the drop down menu text overlaps and a bunch of other windows text is unreadable on the pda. It sucks because of how nice RD looks on the TP.

Phone

Sprint
PPC-6600

Verizon
Samsumg i760
HTC VX6800 - Mogul
HTC VX6850 - Touch Pro
HTC VX6875 - Touch Pro 2

Feathered Access -
Free Live Mobile Television On The Go!
http://featheredaccess.com
Old 02-20-2009, 03:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Hero
Carrier: Sprint

dagnasty is keeping up the good workdagnasty is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldersoul View Post
Does anyone know how to fix the font issue with RD. seems like all the drop down menu text overlaps and a bunch of other windows text is unreadable on the pda. It sucks because of how nice RD looks on the TP.
Try and set the colors to high color in the options

Last edited by dagnasty; 02-20-2009 at 03:17 PM. Reason: corrected term
Old 02-20-2009, 04:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

eldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good workeldersoul is keeping up the good work

that did the trick, thanks.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

sovrce is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagnasty View Post
A couple questions for you sovrce. What OS are you running XP or Vista? Do you have a password to log into your account?

The forward you set up is forwarding to 192.168.1.0. That is probably what is causing the error you are getting. Your phone is attempting to come through the router on 3389 and your router is trying to go to 192.168.1.0 which is generally not a valid address. That address would represent the entire 192.168.1.x subnet. You will want to put the local address of the computer running RDP. You can get this by going to the start menu and clicking on the 'Run' command. In the DOS windows, type ipconfig and press enter. Your address will be listed under your ethernet adapter.
I'm all set, bud. Thanks though!
Old 02-20-2009, 04:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: sprint

dahray02 is keeping up the good workdahray02 is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to dahray02 Send a message via Yahoo to dahray02

so would anyone advise using logmein over vnc, or vice versa?

i have ultravnc installed on my laptop, but how do i install it on my touch pro....is there a cab for it somewhere??

Last edited by dahray02; 02-20-2009 at 04:50 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro