PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 08:04 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

gianthobbit is keeping up the good workgianthobbit is keeping up the good workgianthobbit is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
most battery efficent way to tether?

What program uses the least amount of energy and is there still a net lose if its ran through using usb? I currently used wifi router but that has to be the worst offender for battery power. I just flashed Jungalo (sp?) ROM (first flash woot) and when i plug in the usb i have option to use as internet modem, i bet thats better.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:15 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Re: most battery efficent way to tether?

Using the built in internet connection sharing over USB, with backlight off, keyboard open (for cooling) and nothing else running on the TP is your best bet. If your lappy is kind and has USB2.0/1A usb power, you should be able to keep even until/unless it overheats and stops charging.

Pretty much heat is the enemy. Anything you can do to keep heat down is good. Propping it up so air can get under/around it, sticking it in front of a small fan, or the fridge (not really - no signal in there) or on top of your AC, or outside in the winter - all that would help.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: EVO 4G, TP2, Pre, Pixi
Carrier: Sprint

newone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuffnewone757 knows their stuff

not a touch pro but my friend has a mogul he uses wmwifi router on to play xbox live. he could never get the phone to stay charging while tethering and dieing, so he took his lil cooling stand form his 360 and put the phone on it (with the fan on of course0 and now he can tether and charge the phone at the same time lol
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint
Threadstarter

gianthobbit is keeping up the good workgianthobbit is keeping up the good workgianthobbit is keeping up the good work

lol, i will have to keep my eyes peeled for a small cooling fan or something, schettj thanks for the advice as well
Old 02-11-2009, 11:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

jdesola is just getting started

Schettj, you should change your title to 'The Battery Guy.' You're always on top of all the battery posts.

Buildin' my rep...
Old 02-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Evo

subhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsubhumanderelict is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to subhumanderelict

I agree with Schettj; this even works when you don't have a 1A supply coming in from the laptop. Using NuePower, I noticed that it was discharging at around 450mA while the computer was giving me about 480mA. It was charging, but not at a rate that would be useful (unless you want to wait 45 hours for it to charge a depleted 1340mAh battery).

Has anyone tried using the dual USB adapter to charge from an AC outlet while tethering?

Old 02-11-2009, 12:29 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro2, htc hero,palm pre
Carrier: sprint,cricket

shawnageek is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to shawnageek

i have touch pro flashed to cricket and i have not had a problem with over heating or chargeing i use wifi routher and plug the phone in to charge how ever being on it for like four hours it seems to slow down massivly.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Airave
Carrier: Sprint SERO

Edwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regularEdwood is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Mostly has nothing to do with heat. It is because the Touch Pro automatically cuts the charging rate to below the discharge rate when connected to any radio. Install NuePowerCPL and check it out if you don't believe me. When tethering, after awhile when it's idling (e.g. you're just sitting there reading a webpage, composing an email, etc.) it will have a net positive charging rate, but as soon as you use the connection actively, it is at a discharge rate.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro