PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   most battery efficent way to tether? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=57178)

gianthobbit 02-10-2009 08:04 PM

most battery efficent way to tether?

What program uses the least amount of energy and is there still a net lose if its ran through using usb? I currently used wifi router but that has to be the worst offender for battery power. I just flashed Jungalo (sp?) ROM (first flash woot) and when i plug in the usb i have option to use as internet modem, i bet thats better.

schettj 02-10-2009 08:15 PM

Re: most battery efficent way to tether?

Using the built in internet connection sharing over USB, with backlight off, keyboard open (for cooling) and nothing else running on the TP is your best bet. If your lappy is kind and has USB2.0/1A usb power, you should be able to keep even until/unless it overheats and stops charging.

Pretty much heat is the enemy. Anything you can do to keep heat down is good. Propping it up so air can get under/around it, sticking it in front of a small fan, or the fridge (not really - no signal in there) or on top of your AC, or outside in the winter - all that would help.

newone757 02-10-2009 08:40 PM

not a touch pro but my friend has a mogul he uses wmwifi router on to play xbox live. he could never get the phone to stay charging while tethering and dieing, so he took his lil cooling stand form his 360 and put the phone on it (with the fan on of course0 and now he can tether and charge the phone at the same time lol

gianthobbit 02-11-2009 11:02 AM

lol, i will have to keep my eyes peeled for a small cooling fan or something, schettj thanks for the advice as well

jdesola 02-11-2009 11:36 AM

Schettj, you should change your title to 'The Battery Guy.' You're always on top of all the battery posts.

subhumanderelict 02-11-2009 11:47 AM

I agree with Schettj; this even works when you don't have a 1A supply coming in from the laptop. Using NuePower, I noticed that it was discharging at around 450mA while the computer was giving me about 480mA. It was charging, but not at a rate that would be useful (unless you want to wait 45 hours for it to charge a depleted 1340mAh battery).

Has anyone tried using the dual USB adapter to charge from an AC outlet while tethering?

shawnageek 02-11-2009 12:29 PM

i have touch pro flashed to cricket and i have not had a problem with over heating or chargeing i use wifi routher and plug the phone in to charge how ever being on it for like four hours it seems to slow down massivly.

Edwood 02-11-2009 01:50 PM

Mostly has nothing to do with heat. It is because the Touch Pro automatically cuts the charging rate to below the discharge rate when connected to any radio. Install NuePowerCPL and check it out if you don't believe me. When tethering, after awhile when it's idling (e.g. you're just sitting there reading a webpage, composing an email, etc.) it will have a net positive charging rate, but as soon as you use the connection actively, it is at a discharge rate.