PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 04:37 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Pocket PC: Touch Pro2
Carrier: Sprint

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Okay this is retarded... Had to remove battery cover and slide out keyboard to charge

I think I'm taking this thing back. I was on the phone for about 30 minutes and my battery died... the phone was hot as hell and I plugged it in and it charged for about a minute and then stopped. I ended up having to take off the battery cover AND slide out the keyboard to get it to cool off enough to start charging again.

That's completely unacceptable. The phone was so hot I'm surprised it didn't explode!

I'm using the Sprint 1.11.0F radio... I'm going back to the Telus radio today. I seem to remember that it didn't get anywhere near as hot with that radio, even with heavy tethering...

Comcast EXTREME:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/584166480.png
Old 02-09-2009, 04:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Hidavi is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHidavi is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHidavi is becoming a PPCGeeks regularHidavi is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Okay this is retarded... Had to remove battery cover and slide out keyboard to ch

Telus radio ver 1.04 turns down the heat considerably.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:58 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Threadstarter

EtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuffEtherealRemnant knows their stuff
Re: Okay this is retarded... Had to remove battery cover and slide out keyboard to ch

That's what I thought but I didn't know if it was all in my head or not... I think I'll go back to that radio because its unacceptable to have to dismantle my phone to get it to charge lol
Old 02-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant View Post
That's what I thought but I didn't know if it was all in my head or not... I think I'll go back to that radio because its unacceptable to have to dismantle my phone to get it to charge lol
Did you run into the charging-overheat issue at all with the Telus radio?
Old 02-09-2009, 05:41 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Threadstarter

I didn't run into a situation where I was using the phone and charging at the same time with the Telus radio but I did notice that instead of being hot to the touch when I was on a call 30-45 minutes, it was noticeably warm. I figured it was just in my head... But last night, the entire phone was hot. The battery was nowhere near as hot as the camera area and I actually burned myself when I slid out the screen and my thumb hit the metal. It was a quick "ouch that hurt" but I did it two more times trying to hold the phone in that awkward position.

This concerns me long term... Obviously the excess heat is going to wear out the phone pretty fast and with the Asurion deductible going up to 100 bucks... I think I may end up flashing back to stock and returning it to Sprint for now and waiting to see what HTC has coming up on the horizon. There are a lot of great phones coming to Sprint this year and I'm not so sure I want to use my upgrade credit on this one...
Old 02-09-2009, 11:25 PM
*SCREEEEEECH*
Threadstarter

Yeah its definitely not placebo. I was on the phone for 30 minutes tonight with customer service to get my activation fee waived and the phone was warm to the touch but not hot at all. Guess I'm sticking with the Telus radio until someone dumps the Alltel.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker

dr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good workdr g is keeping up the good work

Man I should give this one a try. I wonder if it could prevent charging cutoff...
Do you have a link handy for how to flash the radio?
Old 02-10-2009, 02:14 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

Krayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKrayziepop is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Krayziepop Send a message via MSN to Krayziepop Send a message via Yahoo to Krayziepop

No, it will not stop the overheating/cutoff problem. It will make it last a little longer, but the end result is still always the same. In order to use the device to the potential it was designed for, you must disassemble the thing whenever you want to really use it and keep it charged...

Really its the most disappointing aspect of this phone... A huge step backwards from even the Moguls heating issues. Complaining doesnt seem to help though. HTC will never come forward on the issue and they will expect us to just wait and buy the next great thing in order to get a device that 'fixes' the problem...
Old 02-10-2009, 02:26 AM
Regular 'Geeker

Darn. how much longer do you get?
Old 02-10-2009, 02:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch PRO baby
Carrier: ATT

xgm541 is becoming a great contributor

i have the touch pro and mine is perfectly fine. It only gets warm when i try to tether with it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Touch Pro