PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Touch Pro (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   Okay this is retarded... Had to remove battery cover and slide out keyboard to charge (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=56988)

EtherealRemnant 02-09-2009 04:37 PM

Okay this is retarded... Had to remove battery cover and slide out keyboard to charge

I think I'm taking this thing back. I was on the phone for about 30 minutes and my battery died... the phone was hot as hell and I plugged it in and it charged for about a minute and then stopped. I ended up having to take off the battery cover AND slide out the keyboard to get it to cool off enough to start charging again.

That's completely unacceptable. The phone was so hot I'm surprised it didn't explode!

I'm using the Sprint 1.11.0F radio... I'm going back to the Telus radio today. I seem to remember that it didn't get anywhere near as hot with that radio, even with heavy tethering...

Hidavi 02-09-2009 04:53 PM

Re: Okay this is retarded... Had to remove battery cover and slide out keyboard to ch

Telus radio ver 1.04 turns down the heat considerably.

EtherealRemnant 02-09-2009 04:58 PM

Re: Okay this is retarded... Had to remove battery cover and slide out keyboard to ch

That's what I thought but I didn't know if it was all in my head or not... I think I'll go back to that radio because its unacceptable to have to dismantle my phone to get it to charge lol

dr g 02-09-2009 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EtherealRemnant (Post 701422)
That's what I thought but I didn't know if it was all in my head or not... I think I'll go back to that radio because its unacceptable to have to dismantle my phone to get it to charge lol

Did you run into the charging-overheat issue at all with the Telus radio?

EtherealRemnant 02-09-2009 05:41 PM

I didn't run into a situation where I was using the phone and charging at the same time with the Telus radio but I did notice that instead of being hot to the touch when I was on a call 30-45 minutes, it was noticeably warm. I figured it was just in my head... But last night, the entire phone was hot. The battery was nowhere near as hot as the camera area and I actually burned myself when I slid out the screen and my thumb hit the metal. It was a quick "ouch that hurt" but I did it two more times trying to hold the phone in that awkward position.

This concerns me long term... Obviously the excess heat is going to wear out the phone pretty fast and with the Asurion deductible going up to 100 bucks... I think I may end up flashing back to stock and returning it to Sprint for now and waiting to see what HTC has coming up on the horizon. There are a lot of great phones coming to Sprint this year and I'm not so sure I want to use my upgrade credit on this one...

EtherealRemnant 02-09-2009 11:25 PM

Yeah its definitely not placebo. I was on the phone for 30 minutes tonight with customer service to get my activation fee waived and the phone was warm to the touch but not hot at all. Guess I'm sticking with the Telus radio until someone dumps the Alltel.

dr g 02-09-2009 11:58 PM

Man I should give this one a try. I wonder if it could prevent charging cutoff...
Do you have a link handy for how to flash the radio?

Krayziepop 02-10-2009 02:14 AM

No, it will not stop the overheating/cutoff problem. It will make it last a little longer, but the end result is still always the same. In order to use the device to the potential it was designed for, you must disassemble the thing whenever you want to really use it and keep it charged...

Really its the most disappointing aspect of this phone... A huge step backwards from even the Moguls heating issues. Complaining doesnt seem to help though. HTC will never come forward on the issue and they will expect us to just wait and buy the next great thing in order to get a device that 'fixes' the problem...

dr g 02-10-2009 02:26 AM

Darn. how much longer do you get?

xgm541 02-10-2009 02:58 AM

i have the touch pro and mine is perfectly fine. It only gets warm when i try to tether with it.